It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

It's getting warm

Post by Per »

A republican who gets it:
I’m going to tell you something that my Republican friends are loath to admit out loud: climate change is real. I am a moderate Republican, fiscally conservative; a fan of small government, accountability, self-empowerment, and sound science. I am not a climate scientist. I’m a meteorologist, and the weather maps I’m staring at are making me uncomfortable.
Paul Douglas

http://www.shawnotto.com/neorenaissance ... 20329.html
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: It's getting warm

Post by Arachnid »

Per wrote:A republican who gets it:
I’m going to tell you something that my Republican friends are loath to admit out loud: climate change is real. I am a moderate Republican, fiscally conservative; a fan of small government, accountability, self-empowerment, and sound science. I am not a climate scientist. I’m a meteorologist, and the weather maps I’m staring at are making me uncomfortable.
Paul Douglas

http://www.shawnotto.com/neorenaissance ... 20329.html
Per, Amerika does want 'tuna! that has good taste, the want 'tuna! that tastes good!

Capitalism is based on growth. You cannot have growth without resources. The CC deniers want to protect their god given and their grandpappies right to make money and god dang it, inbred oil Sands, automobeel'n, petrochemical food fertilize'n be damned, thas wot there gonna do!

If you mention Steady State Economy to a capitalist (Conservative or Liberal) they have a heart attack (is true, I did this at a party last year with a buncha condo vampires and a guy freak'n freaked, good thing I'm a trained First Aider 8-) ).

The economy will have to tank again (and it will when gas goes up to $1.50/l this Summer and stays up).

It's the perfect storm (and some like that strange lapdog... :eh: the end of the world) resource depletion (peak oil being the end of cheap oil, not the end of oil), expensive extreme climate change and economic bubble bursts (in cherry and lime flavour)....a great time to be alive no?! For those that see it for what it is...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..and the band played on.
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:..and the band played on.
What was the song? :eh:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Awesome spring here in Nebraska with record setting temps last weekend! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Whatever you like I suppose.

End of the World REM?

Or this...

Fear in the air, tension everywhere
Unemployment rising fast,
The Beatles' new record's a gas
And the only safe place to live is
On an indian reservation
And the band played on

Eve of destruction, tax deduction
City inspectors, bill collectors
Mod clothes in demand,
Population out of hand
Suicide, too many bills, hippies movin'
To the hills
People all over the world, are shoutin'
End the war
And the band played on.
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:Whatever you like I suppose.

End of the World REM?

Or this...

Fear in the air, tension everywhere
Unemployment rising fast,
The Beatles' new record's a gas
And the only safe place to live is
On an indian reservation
And the band played on

Eve of destruction, tax deduction
City inspectors, bill collectors
Mod clothes in demand,
Population out of hand
Suicide, too many bills, hippies movin'
To the hills
People all over the world, are shoutin'
End the war
And the band played on.
Why such a pessimist Don? Donald? May I call you that? ('Hi' Creeps :rockin: )

It reminds of the old man telling one of his many jokes at my parents many cocktail parties...

A young Irish lad skip'n down the road in Derry singing 'The Protestants own all the houses, The Protestants own all the houses....' when a Priest stops him and says 'now laddie, why you be sing'n such a negative thing?' 'I don't know Father' the boys says.'Well says the Priest, ' why don' you be singing somethin' cheery and positive and all...like...like....Jesus was born in a manger?' 'OK Father' the boys replies and off he goes singing 'Jesus was born in a manger'.
The next day the boy happily skips down the road singing 'Jarsus was born in a manger, Jarsus was born in a manger'.
The Priest smiles and says' and do you know why that is my son?' 'Uh huh' says the lad running now down the road... '....because The Protestants own all the houses....

So you seeeeee Mr. Lever, it's not all dome and gloom (unless you're a Laugh fan or BD), it's just the tune you beat to...
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...huh.

I'm not being a pessimist at all.

I'm playing live and let live.

You misread me entirely.

...and the band played on.
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:...huh.

I'm not being a pessimist at all.

I'm playing live and let live.

You misread me entirely.

...and the band played on.
So what you're say'n is...the band stops play'n?! :(
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..it's late in Toronto.

I get it.
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:..it's late in Toronto.

I get it.
It's only 7 :drink: It's been a looooooong day, work'n on my thesis, I'm trying to save the world and your...your....indifferent?!

“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.” - Dante Alighieri :twisted:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

17,000 years ago, most of Canada was covered in ice.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:17,000 years ago, most of Canada was covered in ice.
:lol: That's your argument RockSucker™ ? The earth has been heating and cooling over millions of year at slow rate yet since the industrial revolution has sped it up significantly...I get it, job security, wealth, growth yeah, great legacy for our kids...greed, elitism, gimme gimme gets....
It's funny how the only international agreement on the environment to ever be ratified was the Montreal Protocol on Substances That Deplete the Ozone Layer. That was easy because the monetary value didn't shut down GHG industries overnight. CFCs became substance non grata...oil isn't far behind...aaaaaaaaah smell that old man? Change is a come'n, cleaner air, less smog, innovative renewable technologies...

Can't wait for gas to go through the roof this summer, cheap access to oil is ova!

You might just have to go back to Jamaica and cook for the wealthy Rastas! :P
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

The world is coming to an end, oh noes! :(
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Farhan Lalji wrote:The world is coming to an end, oh noes! :(
There's no need for hysteria. It's not coming to an end, it's just getting warmer. For us in Scandinavia and Canada - that's not entirely bad.

On a global scale it will cause problems with increased desertification in some areas and increased flooding in others.
It's not the end of humankind either, but if nothing is done immediately, or better yet - a couple of decades ago, a massive relocation of a couple ofhundred milllion people may become necessary over the next 50-100 years as coastal areas are claimed by the sea.

What I can't understand though is that so many Americans are in denial about it. There's overwhelming proof that it is happening. I myself notice a real difference in how the winters have become shorter and how everything during spring and summer happens several weeks too early compared to how it was when I grew up. If you look at the ten warmest years on record since the mid 19th century, eight of them are in the last decade. That's not coincidence, that is a trend if I ever saw one. And the funny thing is, this is not even debated outside of North America. People just choose to believe that the scientists are more honest than those politicians that try to stick theirhead in the sand and pretend like it's raining.

Global warming is real. It's here. Get used to it.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.