What would you recommend for a bottle of scotch/whiskey?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Puck
MVP
MVP

Re: What would you recommend for a bottle of scotch/whiskey?

Post by Puck »

Topper wrote:Canadian Whisky made from rye.
Traditionally, yes. Not the case anymore.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

rockjetty wrote:Laphroaig is my #1 -- I've been to the distillery on Islay, as well as several others. It is a bit on the smokey side. If you can get to 'Whiskeys of the World in Heathrow airport, they'll let you sample quite a few before they make you buy a bottle :D

My other go to bottles are Balvenie Founders Reserve (10yr; I don't like their double wood though), Tallisker, Dalwhinnie and Caol Ila.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Glens!
Why ?
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

clem wrote:
rockjetty wrote:Laphroaig is my #1 -- I've been to the distillery on Islay, as well as several others. It is a bit on the smokey side. If you can get to 'Whiskeys of the World in Heathrow airport, they'll let you sample quite a few before they make you buy a bottle :D

My other go to bottles are Balvenie Founders Reserve (10yr; I don't like their double wood though), Tallisker, Dalwhinnie and Caol Ila.

Why ?
Yeah, I wondered this too... I had a look at my local shop on the weekend and reminded myself of a couple very nice 'Glens': Glenmorangie and the 15yo French Oak Glenlivet.

Regular Glenlivet, not so interesting, same with Glenfiddich. Maybe that's what rockjetty was saying?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Puck wrote:
clem wrote:

Why ?
Yeah, I wondered this too... I had a look at my local shop on the weekend and reminded myself of a couple very nice 'Glens': Glenmorangie and the 15yo French Oak Glenlivet.

Regular Glenlivet, not so interesting, same with Glenfiddich. Maybe that's what rockjetty was saying?
*in his best Scottish accent* '

Some say they know the peaty moss but ach no, they'are pretenders.... Glendronach 25 year old is rated one one the best, I never tried it myself, butt I did try tha 30 year old Bowmore and she very nearly blew my kilt off...I love all malt beverages and trying them, there is no one perfect Scotch, anyone can tell you that...it's a wee journey and not for wine suckers...

When it comes to Scotch break it down like this http://www.whisky-pages.com/whisky-regions.shtml

buy a few from each region and and style, nothing like a good Scotch nosing...well maybe a hop orgy but thas a tale from another lass...'
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)