W Where are the long term members of *this* board?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: W Where are the long term members of *this* board?

Post by damonberryman »

Hi
I like this site a lot. I post fairly regular and it makes me feel closer to my roots in Vancouver. Living in the States is not easy at times. This site keeps me more in touch with home. Also, when I started here a couple of regulars were nice enough to drop me a private line explaining the site culture. This helped as I was feeling under attack almost immediately. Threats of violence and so on. I thanked them for reaching out and am happy I stayed. There is sound knowledge of the game by many of the vets. Some of our posters write better than the media, though I will acknowledge I am damning them with faint praise.

Not only knowledge of the game. Creeper's Bar is full of other topics and has often caught my interest to the point where I started a thread about growing up in Van. The responses always made me feel closer to my home. Finally, it is nice to write posts supporting a team I love AND read others doing the same. Were this site to close I would feel a loss so thanks to all who make it work with a side note of gratitude to Brian. I would just remind you of a saying in AA they use when people get upset over something, and that is 'how important is it really'? You are providing a wonderful product and that will not change by other people's actions. I can understand your frustration with those who act out, but it has nothing to do with you. How important is it really? Don't take ownership of other people's crap. I struggle with this also, and it is such a human thing to do. However, all it is worth is the value we give it. Sorry if I am getting preachy. I am sure someone will point it out, and that is good. Go Canucks. Win the Cup this year. WE are the best team in the NHL.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

damonberryman wrote: Also, when I started here a couple of regulars were nice enough to drop me a private line explaining the site culture. This helped as I was feeling under attack almost immediately. Threats of violence and so on. I thanked them for reaching out and am happy I stayed.
Threats of violence ?

I'd like to tell you what I really think of your post but I'd likely be getting the boot.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
damonberryman wrote: Also, when I started here a couple of regulars were nice enough to drop me a private line explaining the site culture. This helped as I was feeling under attack almost immediately. Threats of violence and so on. I thanked them for reaching out and am happy I stayed.
Threats of violence?

I'd like to tell you what I really think of your post but I'd likely be getting the boot.
Blob.......I threatened to kick his ass at some point ....since, he has been good and he really likes it here. Cut the dbm a little slack.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Here's the thing for me, I log in and check out the posts, do a bit of lurking... but don't want to wade through 12 pages of posts before I'm able to comment on a topic for fear it's already been discussed. And then when I do make a post, and come back to the topic a few days later to find 5 more pages of posts to read through, most of it silly banter and inside jokes I really don't want to wade through (as hilarious as some of your are or seem to think you are)I just don't have the time. I do miss the "good ol' days" of knowing the majority of the posters well and being able to have ongoing discussions on one topic in great detail. For me it's just a case of life getting busier and not having the time/patience to go through a tone of posts to get to the gold that is most definitely still buried in these thar forums.

I know it's just "progress" and increasing numbers is not necisarily a bad thing. I just don't have the patience for it. There are too many crazy things going on in the world to read up on and spend time paying attention to lately that I can't find the interest to stay on one of these long threads for too long. But thats just me, and I suppose it's a good thing to have more voices. I just wish we could have some sort of way of trimming the bullshit a bit. Like, if you want to have a personal conversation with someone, don't use a thread as your forum, use a primate message if it only applies to you and your forum buddy. if it's something everyone would be interested in then post away. No way of policing this I know because what people think others would be interested is obviously extremely subjective.

To me, it's quality over quantity. And we've had lots of quantity lately. Quality is in there, just getting a bit harder to find.

Not that there's anything wrong with aimless banter, people are free to discuss anything and everything they want to with each other, in the right time and place. This site didn't used to be that place. Whether thats a bad thing or not is... well up to Brian really. I think he does a fabulous job running this site, and is the main reason it's stayed as high-quality as it has over the years as other boards fail or become filled with flamewars (cdc style). If this helps drive site numbers and pay the bills, it's all good ;)

*Edit*
On the "pay-the-bills" theme, just a quick look at the top posters (people with the most posts) I looked at everyone with 75 posts or more, the only "MVP"s (people who donated to the site) are the ones who joined in 04/05 for the most part, with the exception of LotusBlossum ;) Not one that's come from "the migration" has become an MVP, or even people that are over 1000 posts from '08 onwards. unless I'm missing something... which is very possible. This was a hasty survey on my part! Consider contributing more than jibber-jabber! Not that donating is a requirement by any means, but I'm sure it is appreciated, and if you appreciate the hard work that goes in to making this site run, think about tossing in your $5. I know I probably owe Brian another installment, it's been awhile for me.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Badfish wrote: To me, it's quality over quantity. And we've had lots of quantity lately.

I lurked here in the past and didn't see a lot of "quality".

No offence.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Maybe the lack of migration donations is telling in and of Itself.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I guess it's ok for certain posters to throw gas on the fire ( Badfish). Here's an idea for the mods if they choose.... let this thread play out instead of locking it. People obviously have some shit to get off their chests and maybe we would all be better off letting them speak their minds instead of censoring them and locking the thread.

I probably should have donated to this site at some time or another Badfish. I probably should have coughed up more than $50 to Johannsen as well . Hell i have posted here for a decade and over there for closer to 15 years. Maybe i thought my wit and sarcasm were enough. You are probably better served taking a run at me instead of people just getting their feet wet on a new board and only having been here a few months.

I'm just getting a little tired of these sock puppet posters getting to throw their little shitballs around and getting off scot free while people who want to engage in discussion are the ones getting their knuckles rapped.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

"sock puppet posters throwing shitballs around"

Gee.

I didn't realize the post had previously been locked, I just saw it and responded with my thoughts. As a 7+ year "sock puppet poster" who's actually paid for this service, please, I beg your forgiveness! :roll:

I wasn't taking a run at anyone Blob. I mentioned it's by no means mandatory to donate in the slightest. It would just be nice, especially for people who act like they own the board from time to time - nobody in particular, especially not you Blob - I enjoy your posts as I do most of the posters on here. For the most part, participation is a type of payment in itself, and thats all well and good. Just a suggestion to some who've been posting on here for awhile to *think* about perhaps throwing some coin Brians way. Thats all. If you feel like it and are in a position to part with some excess capital, great. If not, as I know many of us can't, totally fine as well. Again, just my two cents. Trying to be as honest yet non-divisive as possible here...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Badfish I wasn't calling you a sock puppet. I was referring to "Old Stick" and "Deke". I'm sure there's more but those two pinheads come to mind immediately. I have no idea who "damonberryman" is but it's likely better for me to put him on ignore .
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Ahh, my mistake ;)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I used to donate a minimum of a hundred a year.. I figure 1200. At least , I am in a state of flux at the moment. But I always pull my own weight or more...zero so far hete, I hope to soon.

Funny how wading through an active thread is bothersome. Maybe hearing an echo is appealing to some.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

It's not wading through an active thread, it's wading through a thread of 10+ pages, mostly of people having their own conversations on a daily basis. Just don't have the time for it.

I don't mean to sound like I'm ragging on all the new people, because thats not how I feel. I appreciate the influx of views and commentators, I don't blame the "new crew" for the problems, it's just a result of higher numbers of people which is inevitable to a degree in a quality forum. I love hearing different viewpoints on a topic and love a good debate (As Ol' DP can attest to). I don't really have a solution either. I'm just saying that for me personally, due to changes in my own life as well as this board, I just don't have the time to spend on a massive thread that weaves in and out of being on topic throughout 10+ pages of comments. Not to say thats a bad thing, long threads with lots of participation are great. I just get tired of wading through what seems to me as an increase in BS (old posters and new) in comparison to topics I'd actually like to get in to details about. Not really sure there's anything to be done, just a response to the "Where have the old members gone" question.

That said if we ever open up another bike lanes, Cloutier or 9/11 thread, you know I'll be all over it :thumbs:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Badfish wrote: I just get tired of wading through what seems to me as an increase in BS (old posters and new) in comparison to topics I'd actually like to get in to details about.

I just had a quick glance old GDT's and they are terrible.

Very small threads, with twitter level post quality (now I get why people are moving to that medium).

The only decent posts I read out of a few hundred were LB's.

I think you are just blowing smoke.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I'm not talking about GDTs as I admittedly rarely took part in them. How can I be blowing smoke when I'm only stating my opinion, and reasons for it? GDTs are fine, I'm just not one who's on here for that reason, I just like to discuss the team in general and haven't paid much attention to GDTs.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hmm game day threads to me are like icing on a cake...why would a canucks fan not take part or read a game day thread? Seems to me general team discussion only Isnt really much of fan.