MLB: Swing battah battah swing!!!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

MLB: Swing battah battah swing!!!

Post by LotusBlossom »

I love baseball. Probably my second favourite sport behind hockey. Yankees clinched. I'm stoked! Bring it on bitches, bring it on. My biggest concern for the Yankees is pitching. Hitters are there and more than make up for the mediocre mound hounds.

I seriously hope Boston screws up this final bit and have the Angels catch up to the for the Wild Card in the AL.

In the NL, Philly, yet again, looks dominant. I probably choose them as the heavy favourites going in.

Anyone else into baseball?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: MLB: Swing battah battah swing!!!

Post by Rumsfeld »

I might start giving a shit again if the Mariners ever make the playoffs. The sport needs a salary cap something fierce.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blobcat is a huge Yanks fan and huge MLB fan. Best month of the year coming up for TV sports. I still don't like NY's pitching going up against any of Texas, Philly or SF if they can pull off the miracle. Even a matchup against the Tigers in a 5 game series scares me with Verlander getting the ball twice.

Interesting little wild card races we have going on right now too. My heart wants the Giants and rays to sneak in while my head says the Sox and Cardinals will get in. The Braves are choking worse than Momma Kask right now.

As an asside it is irritating to hear the assheads on the TEAM other than B-Mac try and talk MLB.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Rumsfeld wrote:I might start giving a shit again if the Mariners ever make the playoffs. The sport needs a salary cap something fierce.
Will never happen. I'd rather see a luxury tax with some more teeth myself.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Blobcat is a huge Yanks fan and huge MLB fan.
Right on, I get so much grief for cheering for the Yankees because of their payroll, but I've always liked watching them as a kid and honestly, is there any better hat in all of sports?! :)
Best month of the year coming up for TV sports. I still don't like NY's pitching going up against any of Texas, Philly or SF if they can pull off the miracle. Even a matchup against the Tigers in a 5 game series scares me with Verlander getting the ball twice.
Always been a concern the past couple of seasons, Blob. Luckily for the Yanks, they got bats.
Interesting little wild card races we have going on right now too. My heart wants the Giants and rays to sneak in while my head says the Sox and Cardinals will get in. The Braves are choking worse than Momma Kask right now.

As an asside it is irritating to hear the assheads on the TEAM other than B-Mac try and talk MLB.
I think the Cards will get in as well, but Rays and Angels are definitely making it interesting! Last I looked, the Yankees were losing 13-0 to the Rays...Posada is even playing...I wonder if they are trying to make Boston sweat :lol: :lol:

Hoping for the Angels to be honest to sneak in the wild card.
Rumsfeld wrote:I might start giving a shit again if the Mariners ever make the playoffs. The sport needs a salary cap something fierce.
Something has to happen, agreed, but it won't be a hard cap...*sighs*
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Will never happen. I'd rather see a luxury tax with some more teeth myself.
I'm not going to feign expertise in the realm of MLB economics, but never is a strong word. Every other North American team sport has a cap in one form or another... it seems kind of inevitable at some point, especially given the disparity between the rich and poor and the same eight teams in the postseason ever year.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Me and you rummy.....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Holy fuck ! Is anyone watching these games tonight ? Incredible! No f-ing way am I watching garbage pre season hockey with three games like this on.

Braves just puked away another opportunity to beat the Phils. 3- 3 going in to the 13th.

Yanks were up 7 - 0 on the Rays. Rays storm back to tie it 7-7....in the tenth now.

Sox up on Baltimore 3-2 in the 8th. Wow what a throw from the O's JJ Hardy to nail Scutaro at the dish and keep it 3-2 !
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

And the Braves complete the choke.......what gagjob. Sad to see my boy Chipper Jones miss out on the post season in what may be his last season.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Didn't the Braves have like a 9-game lead a few weeks ago? Oh well, screw 'em... they owned the NL in the 90's to the point that I wanted to slap my girlfriend every time the crowd sang that Aqua-Velva serenade.

Still can't believe she left me...

:cry:

"Be strong, Rummy," I whisper fiercely to myself. "You were too good for that cheating bulimic whore."

Be strong.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Bitch...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Gesus Christ Pappelbon just crapped the bed. Up 3-2 in the ninth and he gives up two straight doubles and a single and the Orioles win. This is insane. Boston now needs NY to take out T-Bay just to get into a one game playoff.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Gesus Christ Pappelbon just crapped the bed. Up 3-2 in the ninth and he gives up two straight doubles and a single and the Orioles win. This is insane. Boston now needs NY to take out T-Bay just to get into a one game playoff.
:lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! If there is a Boston team I hate more than the Bruins, it's the Red Sox.

If there was ever a time for the term "Epic fail" this is one of them.

Sometimes, I wonder if the Yankees 'held back' to make sure TB got into the wild card and not the BoSox

On a side note, I was at Charles bar last night before heading to the Kings of Leon concert watching some baseball, and having some pulled pork poutine (to die for) and I said cheering for my Yankees to lose so the Rays can snuff Boston out of that last playoff spot. Let me tell ya... I think I infuriated the Sox fan behind me. Also, half the bar cleared out because they felt the preseason Canucks game was more important than seeing baseball teams play for their very last chance to get into the playoffs. This town sucks in terms of being a sports town. No clue about anything else but the Canucks and only when they are a winning team. LAME.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

LotusBlossom wrote:This town sucks in terms of being a sports town. No clue about anything else but the Canucks and only when they are a winning team. LAME.
That's because professional sports in this town suck outside of hockey.

We have one major league team, the Canucks.

A CFL team.

A single A short season ball team. Might as well go watch Premiere League ball.

A soccer team that is just in it's first season of a legit North American league.

No NBA team.

It's not really a surprise, especially with the multicultural diversification of the city. People become interested when they are exposed locally to a great sporting experience, then a fan base is developed. You also need to provide a quality product on the field for a few years.

Yeah people that only cheer when a team is winning are not necessarily fans of the sport but rather fans of their home team but they are the ones that will make a team successful and enable them to survive in a market.

I like baseball because I grew up playing the game, it sure as hell isn't because we've been exposed to quality local ball. Hell the most success we've experienced is the Blue Jays in the 90's and most people could care less as they play in enemy territory.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:Didn't the Braves have like a 9-game lead a few weeks ago? Oh well, screw 'em... they owned the NL in the 90's to the point that I wanted to slap my girlfriend every time the crowd sang that Aqua-Velva serenade.

Still can't believe she left me...

:cry:

"Be strong, Rummy," I whisper fiercely to myself. "You were too good for that cheating bulimic whore."

Be strong.
Don't beat yourself up over it Rummy.... get a new girlfriend. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.