Growing up in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Growing up in Vancouver

Post by Cornuck »

Kendale Way - and I went to Annieville Elem.

Maybe we played soccer against each other?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Were you a student of Mr Kodak? Tom Goode your neighbour? I'm talking 1960's here.

There was always the big Canada Day community do at Annieville. The parade would end there and then the final ball tournament and the salmon BBQ.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mr Kodak - for sure - I remember him, good teacher as I recall.

Tom Goode - now that's a name I've tried to forget...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote: The parade would end there and then the final ball tournament and the salmon BBQ.
I can just see young Topper strolling from table to table all decked out in monocle, fake beard and top hat, pointing out in a grumpy monotone how everybody's salmon recipe sucks and the beer they're drinking is piss.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Daytons, Mack Jacket and broadie over top which was a jean jacket with the sleeves cut off, the hair was long, parted in the middle and blow dried, listening to the music of Boston with your Maui Wowi weed or Thai stick and Extra Old Stock Tall Boys. This was one of the greatest era's of Vancouver. Flying V guitars, early Van Halen and Dodge Chargers.

Fuck, those were the days.
Fuckin rights RD!

And Roadrunners. I got to drive two of the fastest Roadrunners in Vancouver back in the day! They weren't street legal, my buddies raced em at Mission. I didn't have dough for that sorta thing back in the day.

So I made friends!! :D

One of my best buddies growing up had a 69 Camero with a hood scoop, line lock, and an A-ROO-GA horn.

Buddy was a great mechanic, lost his driver's license, so I got to be the driver for about a year!

LOVED THAT CAR!!

More importantly, the chicks loved that car. Image

The scoop and the line lock were pretty much bullshit, but Young Strangelove was a great street racer.

We used the strip beside Van Tech a lot back then....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote:Mr Kodak - for sure - I remember him, good teacher as I recall.

Tom Goode - now that's a name I've tried to forget...
Kodak's were neighbours, their son's were a year and 2 years younger. Hilarious thing was their last name was Kotex. For obvious reason's they bloody well changed it.

My brother worked on Tom's election campaigns back when Pierre had rock star potential.

MOPAR

Buddy and I bought a 68 Roadrunner with 426 wedge from a 64 Fury that had clocked mid 10's. Crank was busted but there was a couple of thousand worth of paint on the body so we rebuilt the motor, cruised for a while, flipped the Roadrunner for a 72 Duster 340. Coolest factory option was the vacuum operated hoodscoop straight to the 4 barrel. Flipped the Duster for a 68 Firechicken.

Then I bought my Kawi 2 stroke triple and the world changed.......

Never got into the mack/dayton scene. Jean jacket, cowboy boots and hair past my shoulders listening to the local punk bands. Greasers couldn't figure out the cowboy boots and I didn't conform with the punks.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

LotusBlossom wrote:Ah...Surrey...
I suppose it's only natural in the grand order of things that a Surrey girl eventually found her way to the Corner.

:P
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Rumsfeld wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:Ah...Surrey...
I suppose it's only natural in the grand order of things that a Surrey girl eventually found her way to the Corner.

:P
:lol: BOOM! :oops: :cheers:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I really appreciate the old stories. The only time I spent in Surrey was in 1968 for about 6 months. We were about a mile off the bridge and up King George. Then we turned left. 6 of us looking to screw up in the most chemical way possible. On a side note I tried to sell Mayor Campbell a hit of acid in front of the Pacific Coliseum when Tiny Tim was playing. He ignored me totally. Do any of you remember the Retinal Circus on Davie? I saw the Velvet Underground there. Also, there was an all nite dinner called Mothers if I remember right. The early morning crowd included all the transies on the street. Back then they were rare, but they knew the street. Everything back then was upper granville around the Blackstone Hotel or the Chick'n'Bull diner. Out east we had the so called 'corner' which was Columbia and Hastings. Lots of fun when younger.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Blob. What a charming name. If you really have a brother named Bill, which I admit i have not entirely signed off on, please tell him hello for me. he was a nice guy. Worst snoring I have ever heard. Something to do with his skeletal frame as he was working on a hump last time I saw him. If it is the same Bill we were working together on one of the big islands off Ketchikan and we lived in a shack someone had put up. The survey was hard work and Bill's snoring the first night kept us all awake. Next evening he was outside in a tent keeping the Grizz awake. Bill drove for Macleans for a while and I have always thought well of him. Bright and funny. Looks like it is not genetic. Still, thanks for the thought.