NFL Thread: Thoughts on the game south of the 49th

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: NFL Thread: Thoughts on the game south of the 49th

Post by Topper »

I put Russel Wilson in the same box as Lofa Tatupo. Smart, talented, but there is a reason why QBs and LBs are the size they are. His bubble may not burst this year, but it will burst sooner than most are willing to admit. He is also desperately short of quality receivers.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Go 'hawks!

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:I put Russel Wilson in the same box as Lofa Tatupo. Smart, talented, but there is a reason why QBs and LBs are the size they are. His bubble may not burst this year, but it will burst sooner than most are willing to admit. He is also desperately short of quality receivers.
Drew Brees is an inch taller than Wilson.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hey how's everyone doing? Took a nice long break from all that lock-out crap...

How about them Seahawks eh?! Finally I can stop being embarrassed to root for them again! Still can't root for those ugly unis though.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:I put Russel Wilson in the same box as Lofa Tatupo. Smart, talented, but there is a reason why QBs and LBs are the size they are. His bubble may not burst this year, but it will burst sooner than most are willing to admit. He is also desperately short of quality receivers.
Drew Brees is an inch taller than Wilson.
In a game of inches.

I saw earlier in the season a analysis on Wilson's height and calculations on the different arc path the football needs to travel for him to clear rushing defenders and the extra time it allows db's to close on receivers. It was an interesting read and highlights why his is more effective outside the pocket.

Don't get me wrong, I think Wilson has been fantastic and will deservedly be runner up to RG3 in the rookie ballots, but long term, I know where I'd place my Luck.

Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

The competition is so tight in the NFL that if you slip up even slightly, you can be gone. Tatupu is an excellent example, Topper. He got hurt - not even too seriously - and by the time he'd returned even the slight drop in his ability was enough for the team to release him. He didn't even just drop to a backup spot, he was released (IIRC). Note he was the captain of the defense, too.

For Russell's sake, I'm hoping on the realistic side that he gets 2-3 years in as a decent starter then another 4-5 as a serviceable backup. That would make a pretty good career in a league where many don't get much more than a tryout.

On the unrealistic side, I hope he wins a Super Bowl and starts for 8-10 years. ;) He's a likable guy.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I haven't watched an NFL game in a while but yesterday thought what the hell...was totally bored stupid, fell asleep and didn't even look up who won.
Today I thought I'd at least look in on Seattle seeing as they're our "local" team and I've been absolutely glued to this one, even when the Seahawks weren't able to put points up. It's been a very entertaining game. Even if they lose I can say it will be the first NFL game in years that I have been interested in. Have they been playing like this all year?
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

No, they stunk out the joint in the first half. Since the offence was released in after game 5, they have been better than this.

The injury to Clemons has meant rookie pass rusher Irvin has had to step in. He's required some help from the linebackers and the domino effect has gone through the Seattle defence.

You missed a classic yesterday with Baltimore taking out Denver in the second quarter of OT.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I think NFL football is much more entertaining when defenses suck like this mornings game! If either side were able to force the opponent to kick it away this game would've been way more predictable. Makes for an exciting, if not nerve wracking viewing experience.
I was watching yesterdays Denver/Baltimore game....I passed out after the first quarter lol. Too bad I didn't watch I guess...

When I said it's been awhile since I watched NFL...I thought that was Elway for a few downs before I figured it out.

Todays game has brought me back to NFL football as a fan.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:When I said it's been awhile since I watched NFL...I thought that was Elway for a few downs before I figured it out.

Manning looked as old as Elway out there for portions of the game. Brutal. He needs to put his paycheque towards getting a dome built over mile high stadium...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

What a brutal way for Seattle to go out last Sunday. So frustrating.

I'm not totally versed on the rules for NFL, but was that all above board? I know that the if the snap was off before the timeout call then the play stands.....obviously the snap was not off before the ref whistled the timeout. Replay showed the defense even standing up and relaxing. So the question I have is whether or not there should have been a penalty called against Atlanta for the missed kick. Bryant pretty much got a free practice go at a 49 yard field goal. I don't even know what it would called, but if I'm the Seahawks I'm PISSED that he got that free try. Penalize the guy even 5 yards for something like a delay-of-game and suddenly they're looking at a 54 yard attempt, and that is a helluvalot more difficult.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Tanti09 wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:When I said it's been awhile since I watched NFL...I thought that was Elway for a few downs before I figured it out.

Manning looked as old as Elway out there for portions of the game. Brutal. He needs to put his paycheque towards getting a dome built over mile high stadium...
Horse head bookends.

Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Mëds,

I think the late FG stuff was all good. I really believe the ice-the-kicker tactic is long dead. Let it go. Who knows, maybe he would have missed for real. Unfortunately for Seattle, there were a handful of plays that might have made the difference... the 3rd-and-1/4th-and-1 botch, the time-out-too-late at the end of the half, decision to change to softer coverage on the Falcons last possession, the early Lynch fumble. If any of those don't happen, maybe Seattle's preparing for the 49ers right now. Oh well. It was a pretty good effort (and a damn good 4th quarter). It gives them a fair bit of confidence moving forward.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Puck wrote:Mëds,

I think the late FG stuff was all good. I really believe the ice-the-kicker tactic is long dead. Let it go. Who knows, maybe he would have missed for real. Unfortunately for Seattle, there were a handful of plays that might have made the difference... the 3rd-and-1/4th-and-1 botch, the time-out-too-late at the end of the half, decision to change to softer coverage on the Falcons last possession, the early Lynch fumble. If any of those don't happen, maybe Seattle's preparing for the 49ers right now. Oh well. It was a pretty good effort (and a damn good 4th quarter). It gives them a fair bit of confidence moving forward.
Oh I fully agree with you, Seattle did blow it on a few plays. Even the way they setup to contain the Falcons for that final drive. They pretty much gave them the 50 yard line before they stepped up and actually tried to hold them out of field goal range.

I actually don't think the "ice-the-kicker" tactic works either. And I do think that Bryant did miss for real. I don't think he heard the whistle for the time-out. In fact I don't think Atlanta heard it at all. The Seahawks only stood up and reacted to it because they knew it was coming.

I'm not blaming the loss on officiating or anything. Just wondering and stuff.....
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Davis can flat out fly. He never seems to be covered properly.

The NHL now seems to be much more offense friendly than I can remember. It sure makes for a far more entertaining product than 3 yard rush game that I tuned out a while back.