NFL Thread: Thoughts on the game south of the 49th

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: NFL Thread: Thoughts on the game south of the 49th

Post by donlever »

...and in other NFL news BOOM goes the freaking dynamite.

You watching Brendan?

Gary?

The NFL has gone out of its way in recent years to protect its players from injury, but commissioner Roger Goodell took that message to a new level Wednesday. The league dropped the hammer on the New Orleans Saints and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams (now with the Rams) for their participation in a bounty program, which handed out cash rewards for injuring opposing players and making big plays.

The investigation showed bounties being placed on four quarterbacks of opposing teams – Brett Favre, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Warner.

Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended without pay for the entire 2012 season, general manager Mickey Loomis earned an eight-game suspension and assistant coach Joe Vitt was suspended for the first six games of the season. New Orleans also has to pay a $500,000 fine and will forfeit its second-round draft picks in 2012 and ’13.

Williams, meanwhile, has been suspended indefinitely, and Goodell will reevaluate his standing at the end of the 2012 season.

Williams’ suspension begins immediately, while Payton’s kicks in on April 1 and Loomis’ after the final preseason game.

In short, this is a massive punishment across the board — one that could include more names if the NFL subsequently punishes any of the 20-plus players involved in “Bountygate.”
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Doh...

The New York Jets and Denver Broncos have encountered complications in Tim Tebow’s contract which could nullify the trade, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Filed to ESPN (1): Denver and Jets have encountered hangup in language in Tim Tebow's contract that could nullify trade.

Tim Tebow has $5 million worth of recapture language, meaning Jets would have to pay back money to Denver. Jets might be unwilling. Complex.

The Jets were reported to have agreed to trade their fourth and sixth round draft picks for the Broncos quarterback, however the contractual complications may stop the transaction from happening.

According to Schefter, in order to complete the trade, the Jets would have to pay back money to Denver, which is believed to be the reason why Jacksonville did not try to complete the trade for Tebow
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote:...and in other NFL news BOOM goes the freaking dynamite.
As a life long Saints fan who has suffered through shittier teams than even the Canucks have put together.....*sigh*.

What a mess. We go from being Super Bowl favourites last season and barely missing out on another Super Bowl appearance to a fucking shit show this season. 2012 is basically a write off now. I thought we could withstand even a 10 game suspension to Payton and still make the playoffs, but the team might as well pack up shop. Fuck.

I think this punishment is beyond severe btw. I mean Payton is basically being fined $8M on top of losing out on another shot at a Super Bowl ring. That hoddie wearing fatso in Boston got caught cheating and the punishment wasn't anywhere near as severe as this.

I know, I know WTF was the Saints' coaching staff thinking, right? I agree, having a full on bounty program is beyond stupid, but I played football growing up in the south and I can tell you there were plenty of rewards for big, punishing hits even in elementary school.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

herb wrote: I know, I know WTF was the Saints' coaching staff thinking, right? I agree, having a full on bounty program is beyond stupid, but I played football growing up in the south and I can tell you there were plenty of rewards for big, punishing hits even in elementary school.
Bummer for the Saints big time.

How does Brees feel right about now?

No question this is prevalent, the Saints just got caught.

Golic (Mike and Mike) talks about his Eagles under Buddy Ryan offering up similar rewards in the "90's.

Romanowski talks about how it felt better taking $500.00 off of Ronnie Lott in cash, for a knockout blow, than looking at a bank statement with his pay on it.

But herb, dude, at least you saw a Super Bowl win!!!
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote:Bummer for the Saints big time.

How does Brees feel right about now?
Probably like shit just like the rest of the organization. But, Brees is a genuinely loyal guy. Nobody else gave him a shot when he was a FA after his shoulder injury. Brees and Payton are perfect together, and the Big Easy LOVES Drew.

Losing Brees would be like the Gretzky trade, and I just don't see it happening. Brees = sellouts and playoff berths for NO, which is everything for a small market NFL team. I remember going to games in the 90's for cheap and the Dome was maybe 70% full. Now you have to fork over $200 to get into the building.

The Saints really need to put up AND shut up now. Give Brees his contract and have at least some stability going forward, because it's not looking like 2012 is going to be a championship year. Brees has indicated that he does not want to play under the franchise tag and wants a long term deal. Get it done Loomis!
donlever wrote: But herb, dude, at least you saw a Super Bowl win!!!
Yup! After years of misery, it finally happened.

If the 'Aints' can win one championsip, the Canucks should be able to win 10. The Canucks team history looks like the Montreal Canadiens when you compare it to NO.

I can't believe you're a Cowboys fan...for a guy who HATES the leaves, it's hard to believe that you love the NFL version of "Canada's team".
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..yeah Brees isn't going anywhere, I was not intending to suggest otherwise. I mean what would Ellen do?!!

What can I say about the Cowboys?

How can anyone not admire Roger Staubach?

And Troy Aikman is simply dreamy.....

:blush:

...and the Cowboys are nothing like the FUCKING leaves!

Nothing Goddamnit!
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote:...and the Cowboys are nothing like the FUCKING leaves!

Nothing Goddamnit!
Sure they are!

As mentioned previously, there's the whole "America's Team" thing. My grandfather cheers for the leaves because, apparently, they are "Canada's Team".

Haven't been good in years but are overhyped every season. It's like clockwork. This goes for their players too (see one mediocre quarterback: Tony Romo).

Both clubs have arrogant, overrated management that gets way too much face time in the media (Jones/Burke).

Televised nationally every damn weekend and always seem to be occupying the prime time slots (SNF/MNF).

Cowboys fans are EVERYWHERE just like leaves fans. It's like a plague.

Maybe it's just because I have spent so much time in Louisiana and SE Texas, but I DESPISE the Cowboys (Emmit Smith excluded...love Emmit).
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Excellent, love the haters.

Hey, I can't argue with anything you say about the current incarnation of the team.

Not a big Romo guy and I loathe Jerry Jones and what he has done to the team since he thought it was he, and not Jimmy Johnson, responsible for the Super Bowls (LOFL @ that)....

But I've ben a fan since the mid '70's and I can't just turn a switch off and on. My first game was a Boys loss to the Steelers in the Super Bowl. I admired the hell out of Roger Staubach and Drew Pearson in that game and have been a fan since.

I could dump them as quickly as dumping the Canucks.

Ya know?
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Payton Place

Payton gets Rogered

Broncos get a horsefaced QB

Jets get Broadway drama

Jerry is somewhere between Bill Wirtz than Harrold Ballard
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote: I could dump them as quickly as dumping the Canucks.

Ya know?
I sure do!

Still hate the Cowboys though!

I'm getting a good chuckle out of the all the Peyton Manning fans coming out of the woodwork saying that Denver is guaranteed at least one championship now. Winning a championship is hard enough when you're young, healthy and on a great team and even then the stars have to align a fair bit in order to pull off a championship.

The Broncos aren't a great team, and Manning isn't young or healthy. Manning will be 36 at the start of the 2012 season, is coming off of FOUR neck surgeries and hasn't played a game in over a year. Excelling at the QB position after 35 is not unheard of, but it's pretty rare. I guess we'll see.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...the Broncos have a 30 year old rebuilt RB and no receiver with more than 700 yards last year!

I assume Dallas Clark ends up there but their vertical threats are limited at best.

Hey TO and Ocho could play with Peyton.

:lol:

Nice to see the Jets players tweeting anti-Tebow shit already.

What a gong show that group are.

And Tim apparently elected to go there over Jacksonville!

Looks like Vilma is going down next herb.
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote:...the Broncos have a 30 year old rebuilt RB and no receiver with more than 700 yards last year!

I assume Dallas Clark ends up there but their vertical threats are limited at best.

Hey TO and Ocho could play with Peyton.

Nice to see the Jets players tweeting anti-Tebow shit already.

What a gong show that group are.

And Tim apparently elected to go there over Jacksonville!

Looks like Vilma is going down next herb.
The Broncos have a ways to go to build a legitimate contender. Manning is one of many question marks. Their vertical threats are nil. TO and Ocho are more washed up than Marty Turco.

Dirty Sanchez and Rex Ryan are two guys I could never cheer for. I kind of feel bad a nice guy like TT is headed into that gong show. Why Tim would want to go there of Jax is beyond me.

Payton and Loomis are only the tip of the iceberg I think. This is going to be U-G-L-Y. Stupid Saints... :devil:
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yeah the inevitable..

Fat foot fetish Rex..."now lets go get a Goddamn snack..."

TT...''now coach, we shant use the Lords name in vain..."

Or Tebow trying to calm Santonio Holmes or Cromartie down.

Yikes...

Joe Namath was quoted as saying he doesn't think anyone in the Jet front office has any idea what they are doing.

In other news Broadway wants to kiss all the secretaries.

Yeah I don't get the Bronco thing either herb.

If I'm him I would have gone Niners.

Harbaugh and he might have had issues though.

Even Titans were a better choice I believe.

Odd result at best.
DeLevering since 1999.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

This bounty gate isn't going away any time soon.

With this piece of audio, you'd have to think the legal authorities, who are chomping at the bit to take advantage of a highly public story, will find a way to drag this into court.

"Kill the Fucking head!"
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...awesome.

No wonder Goodell went crazy on the Saints.

He speaks directly to head shots where the league is doing everything it can to prevent them (or create the illusion of that anyway)...

Apparently Congress is sniffing around as well, much like after the Canseco book...

Rock 'em Sock 'em football.
DeLevering since 1999.