Eye Reedz (book thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Eye Reedz (book thread)

Post by Arachnid »

Picked up this interesting book...The End of Money and the Future of Civilization -Thomas Greco
Fascinating history of currency and where it is headed. Should be done by the end of the weekend if the weather holds up. :drink:

http://www.amazon.com/The-End-Money-Fut ... 1603580786
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I just read that they are filming a movie in Vancouver that was adapted from a book I recently recommend here called a A Single Shot - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540741/
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Dude I enjoyed the gargoyle....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Eye Reedz

Post by KeyserSoze »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Other older favourites:
"Into Thin Air" Jon Krakauer's account of the tragic climb up Everest in 1996. Read "The Climb" by Boukreev which provides some rebuttal.
I recently read Into Thin Air and really enjoyed it (even though I was reading it in the middle of summer ;) ). I'll be interested to read another take on those 1996 summits in The Climb as well.
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

Under the Banner of Heaven is also indispensable Krakauer. Particularly since we have a Mormon up for election in this country. Its amazing what millions of dollars in PR money will do to legitimize your cult.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Anybody read local author Aaron Chapman’s books? I think Doc has as he wrote “The Last Gang In Town” which is about the Clark Park Gang and other gangs. He just came out with a new book called “Vancouver Vice” which is about the days the West End Prostitution scene. Apparently his books are quite good. He also wrote a book about the Vancouver night club scene back in the 70’s 80’s called Vancouver After Dark and a book about the Penthouse called Liquor Lust and the Law
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I read a couple of Autobios and a Bio in recent times and have now started on the Wheel of Time Series re-read kick started by the commencement of the series on Prime.

An unfortunate byproduct of that is the series is unwatchable now.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:36 am I read a couple of Autobios and a Bio in recent times and have now started on the Wheel of Time Series re-read kick started by the commencement of the series on Prime.

I hate it when that happens.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

donlever wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:36 am I read a couple of Autobios and a Bio in recent times and have now started on the Wheel of Time Series re-read kick started by the commencement of the series on Prime.

I've persisted for no reason whatsoever and now I've invested however many hours into that rubbish so I can't just walk on it

I need to know who the fucking dragon is dammit (I don't believe it's solely the taller white guy...I suspect it's all of them together)
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:28 pm

I've persisted for no reason whatsoever and now I've invested however many hours into that rubbish so I can't just walk on it

I need to know who the fucking dragon is dammit (I don't believe it's solely the taller white guy...I suspect it's all of them together)
I'd be happy to tell you....then you can cease and desist.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

donlever wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:37 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:28 pm

I'd be happy to tell you....then you can cease and desist.
Na that's the wrong way. I thought of googling my way out but figured i have to earn that shit.
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:40 am Anybody read local author Aaron Chapman’s books? I think Doc has as he wrote “The Last Gang In Town” which is about the Clark Park Gang and other gangs. He just came out with a new book called “Vancouver Vice” which is about the days the West End Prostitution scene. Apparently his books are quite good. He also wrote a book about the Vancouver night club scene back in the 70’s 80’s called Vancouver After Dark and a book about the Penthouse called Liquor Lust and the Law
You might be a footnote in one of those novels.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:08 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:40 am Anybody read local author Aaron Chapman’s books? I think Doc has as he wrote “The Last Gang In Town” which is about the Clark Park Gang and other gangs. He just came out with a new book called “Vancouver Vice” which is about the days the West End Prostitution scene. Apparently his books are quite good. He also wrote a book about the Vancouver night club scene back in the 70’s 80’s called Vancouver After Dark and a book about the Penthouse called Liquor Lust and the Law
No, but I guarantee you Doc has his very own paragraph in The Last Gang in Town
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 pm
Vin Tanner wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:08 pm
No, but I guarantee you Doc has his very own paragraph in The Last Gang in Town
No but I've heard good things Chef. Chapman seems to be a younger guy too, wasn't around during the times he writes about.

Unlike some of us :D
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I've read all of Kurt Vonnegut's books (some multiple times) and loved them all!

But my favorite was the one I think least favoured by most: Galápagos.

Kurt was no creationist, but he totally mindfucked Evolution scientists with that work of art.

(then he rolled over onto one elbow and lit a cigarette)

You could tell by their collective response, which, summed up in a single word would be: Outrage! :lol:

He literally laughed his ass off at their collective response, the guy was fucking awesome...
____
Try to focus on someday.