Eye Reedz (book thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Eye Reedz

Post by Vpete »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:"Into Thin Air" and "The Climb" sound interesting, I'll have to check them out, thanks.
You won't be able to put "Into Thin Air" down - most people I know read that book in 2-3 days, and then re-read it.

Krakauer also wrote "Into the Wild" which is pretty spellbinding as well.

Another fascinating mountain climbing book is "Touching the Void" - an amazing story.

And in other suggestions, "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch is a pretty inspiring read.

S_C
Touching the void is the one by the British climber IIRC? He wrote a follow up called the "this game of ghosts" which was excellent.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Vpete wrote:Touching the void is the one by the British climber IIRC? He wrote a follow up called the "this game of ghosts" which was excellent.
Touching the Void was indeed by the Brit, Joe Simpson. His typical British self effacing humor makes for an entertaining read when juxtaposed against the dire situation he was in. I saw him in Vancouver while i lived there. He showed slides of his trips and told tales of his exploits and accidents. I think thats what initially got me interested in the subject of mountaineering.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Eye Reedz (book thread)

Post by Arachnid »

My middle name is Cryptic Cornie 8-) Some get it, the lower QI don't :thumbs: 'Hi" Spud! :mex:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Just finished Frank Bill's 'Crimes in Southern Indiana' and just picked up today from Chapters 'Galveston' by Nic Pizzolatto. Before Frank Bill's Crimes in Southern Indiana I read Donald Ray Pollock's 'Devil All the Time'. Awesome. I also ordered Ron Rash's 'The World Made Straight'.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Chef Boi RD's favorite Reedz of the year

1. The Sisters Brothers - Patrick DeWitt
2. The Devil All the Time - Donald Ray Pollock
3. A Single Shot - Matthew F. Jones
4. Southern Gods - John Horner Jacobs
5. The Last Good Kiss - James Crumley
6. Galveston - Nic Pizzolatto
7. Before You Go To Sleep -
8. The World Made Straight - Ron Rash
9. The Motel Life - Willy Vlautin
10. World War Z - Max Brooks
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

LotusBlossom wrote:
One book I liked a lot was I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan. Satan decides to live out his life in a certain human... :twisted:
Hey, I've been wanting to read Glen Duncan's 'The Last Werewolf' after reading this review from musician Nick Cave - “A magnificent novel. A brutal, indignant, lunatic howl. A sexy, blood-spattered page-turner, beautifully crafted and full of genuine suspense, that tears the thorax out of the horror genre to create something that stands rapturous and majestic and entirely on its own.”
—Nick Cave

I will have to look into this I, Lucifer.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

RoyalDude wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
One book I liked a lot was I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan. Satan decides to live out his life in a certain human... :twisted:
Hey, I've been wanting to read Glen Duncan's 'The Last Werewolf' after reading this review from musician Nick Cave - “A magnificent novel. A brutal, indignant, lunatic howl. A sexy, blood-spattered page-turner, beautifully crafted and full of genuine suspense, that tears the thorax out of the horror genre to create something that stands rapturous and majestic and entirely on its own.”
—Nick Cave

I will have to look into this I, Lucifer.
Nice, I'll have to get into that one too! Awesome heads up!
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:"Into Thin Air" and "The Climb" sound interesting, I'll have to check them out, thanks.
You won't be able to put "Into Thin Air" down - most people I know read that book in 2-3 days, and then re-read it.

Krakauer also wrote "Into the Wild" which is pretty spellbinding as well.
Recently read Krakauer's "Where Men Win Glory". Fascinating, and heartbreaking, story of Pat Tillman. Guy left behind a multi-million dollar NFL contract to fight for his country, was killed in action (friendly fire), and the resulting coverup and "propagandization" of his efforts.

Great read, highly recommended.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Thinking in Systems: A Primer by Donella Meadows

Fascinating book about Sustainability
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: Thinking in Systems: A Primer by Donella Meadows

Don't get me wrong, Sustainability is an extremely noble concept and all that

.... but why are you wasting all this energy when Nuclear War is just around the corner?? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:

.... but why are you wasting all this energy when Nuclear War is just around the corner?? :drink:
While you Christians and your Islamic/Jew buddies go to the sweet hereafter somebody has to pick up the pieces and Carry On up the evolutionary chain 8-)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Arachnid wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

While you Christians and your Islamic/Jew buddies go to the sweet hereafter somebody has to pick up the pieces and Carry On up the evolutionary chain 8-)
Wait, does one have to be christian/muslim/jewish/new age/pagan ...religious. to have a hereafter what happened to that law of thermodynamics thingy that says energy cant be made or destroyed? if we are all just star dust wont we return to the stars etc etc
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ukcanuck wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Wait, does one have to be christian/muslim/jewish/new age/pagan ...religious. to have a hereafter what happened to that law of thermodynamics thingy that says energy cant be made or destroyed? if we are all just star dust wont we return to the stars etc etc
You read too much Asimov :lol: Try loving the Dick more :evil:

PricK
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Another fascinating book I'm reading is A Pattern Language http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Pattern_Language

Be better than you are. Stop building crap. You here that spud?! 8-)

Fractals anyone?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

One of my old favorites is "The Happy Isles of Oceania-Paddling the Pacific" by Paul Theroux.

It's a bit older now but guaranteed to keep you turning the pages. He's one cynical bastard and pulls no punches when describing different peoples and religions. Worth the time for sure.
If you need air...call it in