BC Lions 2011

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: BC Lions 2011

Post by Corb »

Can someone explain to me why this thread isn't titled Lions Central? :drink:

I go away for a couple of weeks, and we win two games.

I just might have to check out the new stadium............
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

To sum up the CFL look no farther than Toronto this year.....

Sure, they're batting .200 at just over the halfway point of the season, but if they can run at .875 for the remainder they might still make the playoffs. :lol:

What a joke.

Applause and kudos to Blob for.....
Blob McKenzie wrote: Yes, because the ocean sized endzone in the Industrial League makes it such an exciting game.
.....couldn't agree more. In the CFL you can run a hail mary from the gun when scrimmage is on the defense's 10 yard line. Although one has to say that the CFL does provide the added challenge of the uprights by situating them IN the end zone.

And btw, in the CFL, with 2 minutes left in the game and a touchdown the difference the winning team can, if they have the ball, still run off nearly a 1:30. The 20 second clock in the CFL is started by the officials, the game clock can sometimes be running while the play clock sits idle for as much as 10 seconds or so while players shuffle and sub in and out etc. There is no real consistency there, it's an arbitrarial thing decided by the ref in question. At least in the NFL you know that the play clock is ticking, barring occurences which warrant that it be stopped (ie. a time-out). And why shouldn't it. Way more often than not, the team up by a touchdown in the dying minutes has earned the right to be where they are. I hate how in the CFL a team can play shitty for 3 quarters and then storm back in the last frame to take a game with a few lucky plays, or worse still, a team can win a game by MISSING a field goal attempt or by punting the ball through the end zone. WTF is that??? Miss on a scoring attempt or be forced into a 2 and punt situation and you can still earn a point? What a joke.
Last edited by Meds on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:To sum up the CFL look no farther than Toronto this year.....

Sure, they're batting .200 at just over the halfway point of the season, but if they can run at .875 for the remainder they might still make the playoffs. :lol:

What a joke.

Applause and kudos to Blob for.....
Yes, because the ocean sized endzone in the Industrial League makes it such an exciting game.
.....couldn't agree more. In the CFL you can run a hail mary from the gun when scrimmage is on the defense's 10 yard line. Although one has to say that the CFL does provide the added challenge of the uprights by situating them IN the end zone.

And btw, in the CFL, with 2 minutes left in the game and a touchdown the difference the winning team can, if they have the ball, still run off nearly a 1:30. The 20 second clock in the CFL is started by the officials, the game clock can sometimes be running while the play clock sits idle for as much as 10 seconds or so while players shuffle and sub in and out etc. There is no real consistency there, it's an arbitrarial thing decided by the ref in question. At least in the NFL you know that the play clock is ticking, barring occurences which warrant that it be stopped (ie. a time-out). And why shouldn't it. Way more often than not, the team up by a touchdown in the dying minutes has earned the right to be where they are. I hate how in the CFL a team can play shitty for 3 quarters and then storm back in the last frame to take a game with a few lucky plays, or worse still, a team can win a game by MISSING a field goal attempt or by punting the ball through the end zone. WTF is that??? Miss on a scoring attempt or be forced into a 2 and punt situation and you can still earn a point? What a joke.

It would take a major miracle for the Argos to make the playoffs with the start that they have but the fact that they could has more to do with the size of the league than anything else. Its a small league what are they supposed to do about it, take their ball and go home because they have the misfortune to operate in a country with a tiny population? it aint a joke its just statistical reality.

As for the offensive nature of the CFL, that is what makes it exciting to watch. all that space in the end-zone means that its up to the player's skill and the coaches play calling, rather than the unimaginative plodding of run, run, run, kick.
Additionally, the team with an insurmountable 10 point lead in the NFL may be deserve to be there but why would anyone want to watch that team burn downs and manage the clock for an entire quarter of the game?
the NFL may have all the talent but it definitely deserves the No Fun league image it has.

I will agree that there are many people that question the point off a missed field goal and the purists and brain trust of the canadian game have been slow to explain the logic or to change the rule. however it might be pointed out that that missed field goal is a live ball. the defending team can recover possession and advance it for a score of their own and it is much easier to return a missed field goal than a punt due to the linemen you need to protect the kicker.

At the end of the day, I am not saying the CFL is perfect, I am just saying for me and a lot of other Canadians, the game is flat out more entertaining than American ball.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Both the CFL and the NFL entertain me. Over the last season, I have become a Lions season ticket holder and thoroughly enjoyed the live experience.

The better athletes are in the NFL, but you still have to have some skill to play at the level as the CFL guys do. I dunno. They are different games, and I enjoy both but get a different fulfillment from one and the other.

Meh, maybe I'm not so over-analytic when it comes to the game of North American football. I enjoy both versions of them. I'll say this, I've been to a couple of Grey Cups and one Superbowl, and the parties surrounding, and I have to say...the CFL is a far better week in terms of enjoying other team fans etc than the Superbowl ones I attended.

Excited for Grey Cup here that's for sure.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

nice little win in cowtown this past weekend, an encouraging sign that the West is up for grabs. would be great if the new stadium were top host a playoff game as well as the Grey Cup.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ukcanuck wrote:nice little win in cowtown this past weekend, an encouraging sign that the West is up for grabs. would be great if the new stadium were top host a playoff game as well as the Grey Cup.
Yup, good win indeed. I think I enjoyed seeing Huffy's face wanting to explode but he kept his composure. The D has really picked up the slack in the last 4 games. I'm so excited to see the new BC Place! I didn't get to go for the open tour because I was away, but just a couple more weeks! Club seats...here we come! 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote: would be great if the new stadium were top host a playoff game as well as the Grey Cup.
What new stadium is this ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: would be great if the new stadium were top host a playoff game as well as the Grey Cup.
sorry I meant BC place or Telus place or whatever they are calling it. Not having been in-country for 4 years I tend to think of it as new :)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
sorry I meant BC place or Telus place or whatever they are calling it. Not having been in-country for 4 years I tend to think of it as new :)
Ahhh that's the one. Sort of like the cute 14 year old girl in grade 9 who rocked the acid wash jeans but she had a huge white headed zit on her dome. So you run into her almost 30 years later and you pop the goiter on her head and hook her up with a new sweater and some hot pants.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:[

Ahhh that's the one. Sort of like the cute 14 year old girl in grade 9 who rocked the acid wash jeans but she had a huge white headed zit on her dome. So you run into her almost 30 years later and you pop the goiter on her head and hook her up with a new sweater and some hot pants.

well I wouldn't have thought to put it quite as crass as that, but yeah kinda :)

but hey sweaters and hotpants on a 44 yr old woman is not gonna fly, so I am assuming that there is more to it than that. but like I said being here in Ol Blighty, I can only go by what was said on here, the old CC and the media. If I remember correctly there was a strong opinion in the negatory about the stadium on the old board, though I don't know why. The city needs a 50-60 thou seat structure for all kinds of things not including the CFL (which I know some people would hate any park that the CFL used on principle) and building a replica cowboys stadium is just not in the cards.
It may be permissible to use public money to reno a public building, but Canadians would lynch a politician who used tax money to line the pockets of a privateer such as happens all the time down south.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Although the game is not quite over, but I love hearing those shit-stompers in Regina booing their own team. Lulay and the defense are manhandling the Riders right now. It's a quiet day at Mosiac Stadium aka the loudest outdoor insane asylum. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure what happened after that Winnipeg game at Empire when Lulay got benched, but he is a man possessed and has been playing some great football.

Go Lions!
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Altho Bruce cannot be given all the credit for the turn around, it is interesting that since his first game they have won five straight. It's funny, I recall Angus Ried being interviewed and speaking about how good of a team they are and we'll turn it around and even prior to the season there D was deep on paper and raved about by the TSN panel.

Gore and Foster as Canadians sure help. Along with Harris and I guess Mr No more flaming poo in a bag on my door step.

Looking forward to the EDM games. We are only two points out of first. A couple of games against EDM in the next month or so should help up leap up the standings to finish the year with home field and then of course a home field advantage in the grey cup. :mrgreen:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Only in the CFL and I am lovin it. When they started the season with all those losses I was pretty sure it was going to be another year in decline, but the one thing that kept my hopes up was that they lost by such small margins and really seemed unlucky rather than bad. I remember back in the old empire days with Vic Rapp, the lions would play great in July and August but they would falter down the stretch having to go out to play on the frozen fields Prairies in the fall. This year they seem to be getting hot as the stretch run unfolds, bring on Edmonchuck would just love a home playoff game or two!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ukcanuck wrote:Only in the CFL and I am lovin it. When they started the season with all those losses I was pretty sure it was going to be another year in decline, but the one thing that kept my hopes up was that they lost by such small margins and really seemed unlucky rather than bad. I remember back in the old empire days with Vic Rapp, the lions would play great in July and August but they would falter down the stretch having to go out to play on the frozen fields Prairies in the fall. This year they seem to be getting hot as the stretch run unfolds, bring on Edmonchuck would just love a home playoff game or two!
That's just the thing ukcanuck, when they did start the season with 5 losses in a row a lot of people panicked. With the exception of the Winnipeg game at Empire, they were in all of those other games. Just a misjudgement here and a bad pass there had the Lions on the short-end of the stick. Lulay has taken charge and the receiving core learned to no drop the ball on key plays.

I'm very excited heading into BC Place next week. I heard the crowd is going to be pretty good because of the new renos of the stadium and because the Lions have been kicking some ass lately.

On a side note: The Riders garnered 5 points. They scored a field goal on their own, while McCallum gave them 2 singles from punts into the end zone. :lol: 8-) :drink: :mex:
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

The team is doing better, just hope they keep it up for the playoffs. Tired of afternoon games, keep missing them because of other activities.

Good on Simon and Lulay, as soon as they opened the field and use Simon more they became better.

What can you say about the D, un freaking fantastic.

PS - still don't like Wally 8-) but will once we win the Grey Cup in November.