BC Lions 2011

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: BC Lions 2011

Post by Corb »

What year are the Ottawa Roughriders re-joining the league?

Arland Bruce seems to have been a good pickup, even though he seems like a complete idiot.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Corb wrote:What year are the Ottawa Roughriders re-joining the league?
IIRC, there were major issues with their stadium and some lawsuits. They were supposed to start in 2010, but who knows now.

The only thing I can tell ya for sure, is they wont be the "Rough Riders". Sask wouldn't let OTT back in the league unless they signed off in a name change. :hmmm:
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

CFP! wrote:The only thing I can tell ya for sure, is they wont be the "Rough Riders". Sask wouldn't let OTT back in the league unless they signed off in a name change. :hmmm:
Roughriders anagram: "Dog Hurriers"

Doesn't get much more Canadian than that.

Honourable mention to "Horrid Surge" which would most likely perfectly describe their offence for the first handful of years.
2011..... the one that got away.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

LOL. eddy is starved for word play.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

LOL Eddy, pass it over here will ya?

:mex:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

CFP! wrote:
Corb wrote:What year are the Ottawa Roughriders re-joining the league?
IIRC, there were major issues with their stadium and some lawsuits. They were supposed to start in 2010, but who knows now.

The only thing I can tell ya for sure, is they wont be the "Rough Riders". Sask wouldn't let OTT back in the league unless they signed off in a name change. :hmmm:

If I recall correctly the Rough Rider name and trademark are held by the last owner of the Ottawa Rough Riders, (Horn Chen or that lonny glieberman knob) who wants a fortune for it, and that was the reason they went for the Renegades name instead. I don't know what the Saskatchewan official position is for the name but they lived with it for 75 odd years so I don't see why they couldn't do so again, Ottawa has as much right to the name as Regina does.

The two teams were in different unions before the formation of the league that would become the CFL. In Ontario, the term "Rough Riders" was a nick name given to the men riding log booms down river to mills in the 19th century, but interestingly, Ottawa's team colours were the same as Teddy Roosevelts Roughriders regimental colours in the Spanish American war 1898 of which there was a Canadian contingent Volunteers who settled in the Ottawa valley after the war. However, Ottawa's early years there was some waffling in the nickname when they changed it from Rough Riders to the Senators for 5 years between 1925-30.

Regina's claim to the name came when they changed their name to Roughriders while the Ottawa team had switched to the Senators. They did so in honour of the North West Mounted Police who were known as Roughriders as well, however, the flatlanders original colours were also the same as Roosevelt's regimental colours, making it possible that both teams were referring to the same event.

It seems that as a nation, Canada was in support of the Americans, but were forced to be officially neutral by British law, clearly with two separate cities making reference to the war in their team names and colours independently of each other there was a lot of support for the war.

Regarding the infamous two team, same name, same league, only in the CFL joke, I dont see why there is the rush to ridicule Canadian history and uniqueness, both football clubs are a hundred plus years old with references to some pretty cool historical things. I think its great that the CFL could have two Rough riders again. we just need one more team in the Atlantic to balance the schedule out and bring WInnipeg back to the west where it actually is and the league would be set for a rosy future.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

BladesofSteel wrote:LOL Eddy, pass it over here will ya?

Here's some more word play (sort of) for you's...

The nickname for the newly refurbished B.C. Place... "The Condo"

Doesn't get more BC than that. ;)

edit: For those who hadn't heard:
It’s a race against time at B.C. Place Stadium. The heavy rain that battered Metro Vancouver Monday also sent water sheeting into the nearly complete stadium.

And now officials are admitting the roof on the half-billion-dollar stadium may not be leak-proof by opening day on Friday, when the B.C. Lions are set to take the now-soggy field.

I don’t think we can guarantee anything at this point,” Buckley said. “They’re actually welding the panels together — we can’t let them do that in the wind and the rain.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/guarant ... z1ZAc7klas
2011..... the one that got away.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:LOL Eddy, pass it over here will ya?

Here's some more word play (sort of) for you's...

The nickname for the newly refurbished B.C. Place... "The Condo"

Doesn't get more BC than that. ;)

edit: For those who hadn't heard:
It’s a race against time at B.C. Place Stadium. The heavy rain that battered Metro Vancouver Monday also sent water sheeting into the nearly complete stadium.

And now officials are admitting the roof on the half-billion-dollar stadium may not be leak-proof by opening day on Friday, when the B.C. Lions are set to take the now-soggy field.

I don’t think we can guarantee anything at this point,” Buckley said. “They’re actually welding the panels together — we can’t let them do that in the wind and the rain.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/guarant ... z1ZAc7klas
$500 Mil+ for "The Leaky Condo" in Vancity. Somehow it just doesn't get any more BC Place than that.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Hank wrote: $500 Mil+ for "The Leaky Condo" in Vancity. Somehow it just doesn't get any more BC Place than that.
Yeah what sucks is it's supposed to be raining pretty badly on Friday. :(
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

6-6 BC LIONS

Post by DavidPratt_ »

“FIRE THE COACHING STAFF”

“GET RID OF LULAY’

“BUONO HAS LOST HIS MAGIC”

THAT’S WHAT BC LIONS FANS WERE SAYING OVER 2 MONTHS AGO

OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH!

GET A LOAD OF THIS: AFTER THRASHING THE SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS 42-5, THE BC LIONS ARE NOW AT 6-6 AND HAVE FINALLY REACHED THE .500 MARK....NOT BAD FOR A TEAM THAT OVER A MONTH AGO WAS 1-6......IT ALSO HELPS THAT THE BC LIONS HAVE JELLED AS A TEAM, THE LION’S DEFENSE PITCHED ANOTHER TOUCHDOWN SHUTOUT AGAINST THE ROUGHRIDERS, MAKING IT ONLY TWO SCORES ALLOWED IN 21 QUARTERS OF 3-DOWN CANADIAN FOOTBALL....LET’S NOT FORGET THAT THE TEAM’S RECEIVING CORP WITH GEROY SIMON, AKEEM FOSTER, SHAWN GORE....AND YES, ARLAND BRUCE HAS HELPED LEAD THE CHARGE.

WALLY BUONO RECENTLY SAID, “THE GUY THAT CHANGED THE ENVIRONMENT AND THE MAKEUP FOR OUR CLUB – THAT WAS ARLAND BRUCE. IT WAS AMAZING TO SEE A VETERAN COME IN AN ENCOURAGE ONE GUY AND ANOTHER AND ANOTHER. I KNOW WHAT SOME PEOPLE THINK OF THIS GUY....BUT HE STARTED IT’

NOT BAD FOR A CASTOFF OF THE HAMILTON TIGER CATS, BUT IT’S BEEN GOOD FOR THE LIONS....AND WHO KNOWS? MAYBE THE CFL’S HOTTEST TEAM MAY GET A CHANCE TO PLAY IN THE GREY CUP IN THEIR HOMETOWN IN THEIR NEW DOMED STADIUM IN NOVEMBER.

SOMETHING TO DREAM ABOUT RIGHT NOW, BUT MAYBE, JUST MAYBE DREAMS DO COME TRUE

PRATT OUT
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Re: 6-6 BC LIONS

Post by BCReefer »

Nothing has been won yet, seen this last season and they lost when the game counted the most. I will give them some impressive wins but until the season is done I still want Wally gone and I want him to take his co-ordinators with him.

If they make the finals then they can stay another year.

Also the coaches have made some significant changes on how they prep for games and making different calls on the field, this is the biggest change on the team. Using Simonds more is also the key.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

THANK YOU MODS!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Is anyone heading to the game on Friday night?

As far as I know, about 42,000 tickets have been sold, not bad, but the capacity is 54,000 and change. I'd love to see a sell out crowd, but I'm not thinking that's happening.

Brian's tailgate party---A looksee around the newly reno'd BC Place (pics look good btw) and to my seats in the club lounge.

I just am happy about not being that close to the field anymore, so I don't have to see Benevides and his man-boobs so close. :?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

I've determined that football is the only sport better on TV than live.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LotusBlossom wrote:
As far as I know, about 42,000 tickets have been sold

Yes ...or given to various corporations, drugstores etc. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”