Best Used Vehicle for Under 5K

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Best Used Vehicle for Under 5K

Post by Topper »

Loaded (overloaded) tonight with core for the lab tomorrow.

I love driving this in Vancouver traffic as much as I love driving it in the bush.

Nobody fucks with you when you have more steel in your bumpers than they have in their entire car.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:Loaded (overloaded) tonight with core for the lab tomorrow.

I love driving this in Vancouver traffic as much as I love driving it in the bush.

Nobody fucks with you when you have more steel in your bumpers than they have in their entire car.
My cousin and his wife are looking for one of these, used of course, because they are also looking to buy their first place but his car finally kicked the bucket.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LotusBlossom wrote: My cousin and his wife are looking for one of these, used of course, because they are also looking to buy their first place but his car finally kicked the bucket.
Stock, they are a very comfy car, but I need a truck. Suspension, bumpers, wheels and tires late, I'm almost there.

Horrible gas mileage.

Aaron had one for a while he'll know more about its tamer virtues.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Yep, still miss my Taco!

Awesome versatile truck, very comfy and can easily fit in-laws or kids in the back if you get the double cab. I had the short box Off-Road version, when I buy again (which I would in a heartbeat if it made sense) I'll get the longer box and the Sport as it would better suit my needs.

Bought it out of the states for $24,700 everything in (IIRC), and sold it about 2 years later locally for $25,500. Definitely hold their value.

Great in the snow if you have good tyres, but as Topper said not the best on gas but being a truck you shouldn't really expect anything to be that fuel efficient.

Topper you should have stolen my Diff before I sold it!! :)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Well I ended up buying a cross country Volvo v70 AWD (sorry jello...it landed on my lap). It isn't a truck but it gets over 700 km for 60 litres of gas so its efficient at least. Its comfortable and I can do the simple wrenching myself which helps.

Topper, I had a company Hilux in OZ just like that and it was decent but a pig. There they are all diesels though which is slightly different. You're only missing the snorkel as far as I can tell...
If you need air...call it in
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

No worries! I bought one because they are great cars, I was just talking about the cost of ownership being higher than I had expected.

You'll love that thing in the snow with good tires, and you'll be able to move your whole house in one go if you need to.

Congrats on the new car.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Why are you letting someone else drive your car?

For whatever reason I don't let people drive my car. It's just my thing I guess....
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
Why are you letting someone else drive your car?

For whatever reason I don't let people drive my car. It's just my thing I guess....
Yeah, my old man has a Beamer 7 series and he won't let us kids drive it :evil: not even to pick him up at the airport...what kind of parent doesn't let their children use their car...even when said kids car is in the shop?! 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Topper, I had a company Hilux in OZ just like that and it was decent but a pig. There they are all diesels though which is slightly different. You're only missing the snorkel as far as I can tell...
I have a '97 Hilux at my place in Belize. A real truck. 2.8l diesel, rated for 1 ton, Ive had 3 drumms of diesel, 2 x 100lb propane bottle a and a grocery order in the back of that beast and it doe not miss a beat.

But it drives like a truck and that 4cyl diesel has no get up and go. Tons of torque, but no go.

My wish list for my Tacoma are upper control arms so I can run chains on the front if need be, sliders for body protection and air lockers for crawling out of anything.

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Arachnid wrote:
Yeah, my old man has a Beamer 7 series and he won't let us kids drive it :evil: not even to pick him up at the airport...what kind of parent doesn't let their children use their car...even when said kids car is in the shop?! 8-)
OMG we have the same dad! When I was young he let me use his car once. I drove it like it was made of friggen glass. Went in and out of parking lots at 2km/hr! The next day he balls me out because the Kleenex box he had up on the rear deck (what the fuck is that called, the area where the speakers are... fuck, let's go with rear deck) had moved a few inches. I couldn't believe it!

Maybe that's where I get it from. I don't let anyone drive my car.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Being the youngest of six, I wasn't allowed to drive the folk's vehicle either. They had learned long before it became my turn.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Being the youngest of six, I wasn't allowed to drive the folk's vehicle either. They had learned long before it became my turn.
Oh I got to drive my bro's pick up near Birkenhead Lake when I was a young'n, got my full licence at 15 (thanks to summer job in Alberta) and my first car at 17 (76 Celica)

But it was MY car and not my parents 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Like OH..... MIGAWD!

You guys never stole your parents car once in awhile?? Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Why joy ride your folks car when you can joy ride someone elses?

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:Image

Like OH..... MIGAWD!

You guys never stole your parents car once in awhile?? Image
Me mum drove a CherryBomb Red Ford Pinto....why would I steal that? I already had my first Honda motorcycle dirt bike 8-)

After that she got a 4 banger Mustang that couldn't make it up Spuraway :|
Last edited by Arachnid on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.