Best Used Vehicle for Under 5K

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Best Used Vehicle for Under 5K

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Coming back to Canada, I'm going to need a winter beater and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation?

I will be living in Alberta so front wheel or all wheel drive is essential.

I've narrowed it down to:

1999-2001 Volvo V-70
2002- Nissan Altima
1997- Toyota Camry or Corolla
1997- Honda Accord

Main considerations are economy, reliability, safety, comfort.

I've owned trucks since high school until I moved here and found that I really like driving a car more! So much easier to do everything and the fuel bills are friendlier...I can always rent a truck to haul crap.
If you need air...call it in
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Re: Best Used Vehicle for Under 5K

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Not sure about the others, but I'd advise against the Volvo. They are great cars new, however have a shorter than average life due to electrical gremlins, transmission problems and a too-lightweight for the car suspension system. I owned an XC 70 (basically the same car with AWD and turbo) and it really became a money pit in years 5-6 (and was in for warranty repairs for electrical issues earlier). I got rid of it soon after, and was part of a few Volvo forums which looked to have a similar experience for more than a few (I know forums usually lead to this but hey...)

Because of the Volvo name, they seem to hold their value really well which leads to paying more for a car that might need a lot of work done which is usually pretty expensive for this type of import car.

Nice to drive though, and lots of room.

My .02
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

I agree with Jello.Volvo's also cost a fortune to work on. Can't go wrong with the Toyota or Honda.

You should probably get a pick up truck though if you want to fit in. ;)
2011..... the one that got away.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Interesting about the Volvo. My wife is from Sweden and when we go there i noticed about 60% of the vehicles were volvos. They all swear by them a reliable and well built cars so I lumped them in with the other trusty import boxes. I also really enjoyed driving my father in-laws V-70.

Eddy, I think I better steer clear of the truck though.... Next thing you'll know I'll be sporting a 10 gallon hat and all angry at the Canucks for cheating the flames out of a playoff berth again
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I'm a Subaru man myself...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Arachnid wrote:I'm a Subaru man myself...
How have you found the all wheel drive to be? I almost forgot about them and they also have a great rep. I need a cheap ass winter beater though and I think there's not many under 5. I consider my winter beaters disposable urban commuter vehicles. I keep something I really like tucked away from the salt and crap...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Trucks are good.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Arachnid wrote:I'm a Subaru man myself...
How have you found the all wheel drive to be? I almost forgot about them and they also have a great rep. I need a cheap ass winter beater though and I think there's not many under 5. I consider my winter beaters disposable urban commuter vehicles. I keep something I really like tucked away from the salt and crap...
Well mine is a 93' and in the land of salt & fat it has held up incredibly (I got it in 2006). Used it in a couple of rallies :D The AWD is awesome, won't go back to a Suzuki...they are expensive to fix and unreliable. Look for an older model to hit under 5k.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Coming back to Canada, I'm going to need a winter beater and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation?

I will be living in Alberta so front wheel or all wheel drive is essential.

I've narrowed it down to:

1999-2001 Volvo V-70
2002- Nissan Altima
1997- Toyota Camry or Corolla
1997- Honda Accord

Main considerations are economy, reliability, safety, comfort.

I've owned trucks since high school until I moved here and found that I really like driving a car more! So much easier to do everything and the fuel bills are friendlier...I can always rent a truck to haul crap.
Friend of mine has a 1994 Volvo, and swears by it. He uses it during the winter, he lives in Revelstoke, so the snow plays a factor in why he doesn't use a new car during winter. He's had it since about 2000 and hasn't looked to replace it so far. He's maintained it quite well (as well as you do for a winter car) and has owned it for 11 year now and going strong.

Another friend drives a 1995 Accord presently, and has beat the shit out of it on a daily basis but it still keeps on going. Something to be said about the Honda.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Eddy, I think I better steer clear of the truck though.... Next thing you'll know I'll be sporting a 10 gallon hat and all angry at the Canucks for cheating the flames out of a playoff berth again
I've seen a few guys driving trucks around here, sporting Canuck flags. The lengths to which Canuck fans will go to piss us Albertans off :D :drink:

Oh, and I agree with Eddy - you can't go wrong with a Toyota or Honda.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

LB- those older volvos are bullet proof and where they built their reputation. It's why I've been considering them and thought maybe they were still ok until the 01 model. I really don't know for sure and epinions website rates them fairly well. It seems like they're usually well made but the odd exception, like jello's I suppose, are exceptionally shitty.

Probably better going Japanese I suppose. Per...anything to add in defence of your national car?

BCExpat-I'll make sure I deck out my beater with a huge ass flag and come on over to strathmore every time the nucks beat your flames. Maybe that's better if I had a truck though....
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Uncle dans leg wrote:...

Probably better going Japanese I suppose. Per...anything to add in defence of your national car?
I had a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback, that I believe one poster in here had the pleasure of sitting in once (poor friend) and used that as a 'winter car'. It was the best $1000 I ever spent. It brought me to SFU and back a few times over the year, damn Burnaby Mountain! Just kept being the crap out of it until it finally gave in when I was teaching my sister how to drive stick.

I named her "Catherine", she was brilliant.

I still drive a Honda these days...but as a summer car...2 seater, convertible...I love the S-2000.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Uncle dans leg wrote: BCExpat-I'll make sure I deck out my beater with a huge ass flag and come on over to strathmore every time the nucks beat your flames. Maybe that's better if I had a truck though....
You won't be alone. Just yesterday, I passed a 3/4 ton Dodge 4 x 4 with a huge Vancouver Canucks logo in the back window. Man, they are everywhere :shock:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Just be careful of fakes flakes and snakes that say they know about cars that don't exist :lol: :lol: :lol:
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Arachnid wrote:Just be careful of fakes flakes and snakes that say they know about cars that don't exist :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm pretty sure this was directed at me :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..but yeah here she is.

We call her "Miho" like the character from Sin City. She's Japanese, she's pretty quick, and has some artillery under her hood.

I blurred out the plate of course... 8-)
PS: Topper, Brian and Clam can confirm that's me in the car...so yeah... :mex: