WTF London? You weren't even in the playoffs!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Re: WTF London? You weren't even in the playoffs!

Postby ukcanuck » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:56 am

Sick Bunny wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:btw- any charges laid in England yet?

Not just charges, it's jail sentences galore. At least they haven't wasted any time bringing the hammer down on those who got caught.

This article:
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome

gives some stats and questions the natural comparison between the reaction to the riots in Vancouver and London. I think that there is a lot of truth to the idea that civil rights are not the same here in the UK. search and seizure laws are a case in point. If I am not mistaken, the Mounties need more than a suspicion that someone is up to no good in order to stop a citizen from going about his or her business and search them. As I understand it here, the police need no reason to stop who ever they like, and they dont need to inform that person of why they are harrassing them. In fact the only "right" a citizen here has, is the right to complain about the treatment after the fact. In otherwords, see the complaint department on floor thirteen at New Scotland Yard...

If this is the case, I can imagine that the justice system here would have a much easier time of railroading 3000 charges through the courts. As for the extreme sentences that have been handed out, it would not surprise me if many of them will be quietly overturned in appeals...sending a looter to jail for 7 years sounds good, but it wont make headlines 6 months from now when the sentence is overturned
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Ironically, a year from now a bunch of blacks will be running around London chasing gold, silver and bronze loot and it will all be started by a pistol shot.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Sick Bunny » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:57 am

Topper wrote:Ironically, a year from now a bunch of blacks will be running around London chasing gold, silver and bronze loot and it will all be started by a pistol shot.

:lol: It's gonna be a race issue.
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Previous

Return to Creeper's Bar & Grill