Any posters in to the Jazz scene

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Any posters in to the Jazz scene

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Or maybe I'm showing my age by even asking. Is Jazz even an opition today
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Re: Any posters in to the Jazz scene

Postby rats19 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Fred wrote:Or maybe I'm showing my age by even asking. Is Jazz even an opition today

I am afraid to try it Fred........have I told you I saw zepplin twice...lol

I may just like it.. every once in a while I listen to CBC 2 and they play jazz and some blues and other genre's I have not paid too much attention to . but agewise...yah I could...lofl.. Pink Floyd anyone!!!!
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Cornuck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:36 pm

Blues? Hell yeah! Jazz? Nope. Never been interested.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Yeah I like blues to but to be honest they do get a tad repetitive. Some great guitarists but most would have trouble keeping up with many of the Jazz musicians. I always remember in an interview Sting had asked about playing with Police said they're a half beat off by the time they're into the third bar :D that's why he uses jazz musician. Quiet a few of the pop guitrist play jazz by choice in their own time.

This is my current "newbie" a French guitarist Bireli Lagrene. Gypsy jazz musician similet to Django Reinhart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TMwbtQiUE
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Hoss » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:39 pm

This is pretty funny, and related to jazz.
Hoss
CC Rookie

Postby LotusBlossom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:05 am

Fred wrote:Yeah I like blues to but to be honest they do get a tad repetitive. Some great guitarists but most would have trouble keeping up with many of the Jazz musicians. I always remember in an interview Sting had asked about playing with Police said they're a half beat off by the time they're into the third bar :D that's why he uses jazz musician. Quiet a few of the pop guitrist play jazz by choice in their own time.

This is my current "newbie" a French guitarist Bireli Lagrene. Gypsy jazz musician similet to Django Reinhart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TMwbtQiUE

No one comps on the guitar better than jazz guitarists, plucks an upright bass than a jazz bassist and of course knows the sensitivity of a drum skin better than a jazz percussionist. ;)

I have love for jazz, but admittedly, not so much in tune with it these days as I used to be. I think I need to rip some CDs and add it to my playlist on the iPod. I could always use a good bossa nova beat to get me going at my desk in the morning. :) :lol:

Addition: For live jazz in Vancouver... http://www.cellarjazz.com/index.cfm?go=site.index

Great find on the artist. Thanks, Fred. I'll have to add her to my iPod...love her voice. Perfect for the genre.
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Topper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:47 am

I'm a huge fan of Blood Ulmer, though I have to admit, his Ornette inspired work takes a lot of effort to listen to.

Speaking of Ornette, a few years back the re issued Pat Methany's Song X. With the added tracks, it is almost melodic.

On a completely different track is Buddy Miller's latest, Majestic Silver Strings. Classical country interpreted by Buddy Miller, Bill Frissell and Marc Ribot.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby hist » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm

I don't really know anything about it, but I do love listening to jazz when I get a chance. I used to listen to the nightly jazz show on KPLU out of Seattle.

Not sure if it's still around, though.
hist
CC Rookie

Postby Cornuck » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:24 pm

Fred wrote:Yeah I like blues to but to be honest they do get a tad repetitive.

In some ways, that's the beauty of the blues. Start with a basic structure and see what you can do with it. In the hands of a simple bar band, repetition will set in. But with a lot of the greats, they took those 12 bars and worked the hell out of them.

The blues played well can be so full of emotion. That's something that I personally don't get from jazz.

Oh and if we're going to get into what genre produces the best guitarists - that would be classical. Some amazing talent is needed to play.
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Topper wrote:I'm a huge fan of Blood Ulmer

Figured you be more of a Mel Thorme fan.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Puck » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 am

I love jazz. The cool thing about it is that there's probably something in the jazz world for everybody- it's so wide-ranging. You've got over 80 years of development and numerous styles within that to choose from... case in point LB's reference to Bossa Nova to Topper's nod to Ornette Coleman (free jazz) to Fred's suggestion of the Gypsy-jazz style first made popular by Django Reinhardt.

An interesting stepping stone into jazz (for those who don't feel they like it) might be - surprisingly - the Beastie Boys instrumental album "The In Sound From Way Out". It's bluesy, maybe a bit down-tempo-ish, but certainly jazzy as well.
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Arachnid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Topper wrote:I'm a huge fan of Blood Ulmer

Figured you be more of a Mel Thorme fan.

:lol:
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Arachnid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Puck wrote:I love jazz. The cool thing about it is that there's probably something in the jazz world for everybody- it's so wide-ranging. You've got over 80 years of development and numerous styles within that to choose from... case in point LB's reference to Bossa Nova to Topper's nod to Ornette Coleman (free jazz) to Fred's suggestion of the Gypsy-jazz style first made popular by Django Reinhardt.

An interesting stepping stone into jazz (for those who don't feel they like it) might be - surprisingly - the Beastie Boys instrumental album "The In Sound From Way Out". It's bluesy, maybe a bit down-tempo-ish, but certainly jazzy as well.

Egggsactalactaly....saying you like Jazz is like saying you like beer...soooo many varieties...got into it in the 80's going to Jazz fests here and Montreal... Bee Bop, Hip Hop, Acid, Classic, Avant Guard, Big Band...it's all good if the musician(s) is...

How did my Jazz journey start?...saw Sting on his first solo tour...he had Branford Marsalis in his band which peaked my curiosity...who the hell is this talented Sax Marsalis dude? I knew that the Police had reggae, jazz influences but...

Vocal?! Cassandra Wilson's voice is an instrument in itself. Have seen her several times, highly recommend her...she has her originals and covers, Neil Young, The Monkees (The Monkees?! Yeah The Monkees!!!)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faK8TxS-D1w

I've seen so many, too many to list
Preservation Hall Jazz Band (old Dixieland style), Average White Band, Chick Corea (currently touring with an amazing guitar ensemble), Diana Krall, Herbie Hancock...

Jeez man, go pick up the classic albums, Miles Davis -Kinda Blue, John Coltrane -A love Supreme...get some good red wine and kush and kick back...

My fave has to be Charles Mingus...an unbelievably talented nutbar much like Frank Zappa only not as twisted...

A lot of our favourite rock/pop musicians have been influenced by these guys...
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Topper » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Arachnid wrote:Jeez man, go pick up the classic albums, Miles Davis -Kinda Blue, John Coltrane -A love Supreme...get some good red wine and kush and kick back...

My fave has to be Charles Mingus...an unbelievably talented nutbar much like Frank Zappa only not as twisted...

Ease into a Sunday morning with the Mrs.'s with Theloneous Monk.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Arachnid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Topper wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Jeez man, go pick up the classic albums, Miles Davis -Kinda Blue, John Coltrane -A love Supreme...get some good red wine and kush and kick back...

Ease into a Sunday morning with the Mrs.'s with Theloneous Monk.

Yeah, no question Monk is a master butt I wouldn't recommend him to newbs, he can scare off just as many as he dazzles...same with Glen Gould for mad genius classical...best to tread lightly into jazz and learn the classics like Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald...

The Bird (Charlie Parker) and Billy Holiday are another two that took a while but fully appreciated now...
Sarah Vaughn is a little more accessible and the women folk seem to like her...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR8fsEDE ... ure=fvwrel

...Bippity Bop

Always loved this tune...sounds awesome on the PSBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzvlivbptXk

Hmmmm kinda relavent...

Compared To What

I love the lie and lie the love
A-Hangin' on, with push and shove
Possession is the motivation
that is hangin' up the God-damn nation
Looks like we always end up in a rut (everybody now!)
Tryin' to make it real — compared to what? C'mon baby!

Slaughterhouse is killin' hogs
Twisted children killin' frogs
Poor dumb rednecks rollin' logs
Tired old lady kissin' dogs
I hate the human love of that stinking mutt (I can't use it!)
Try to make it real — compared to what? C'mon baby now!

The President, he's got his war
Folks don't know just what it's for
Nobody gives us rhyme or reason
Have one doubt, they call it treason
We're chicken-feathers, all without one nut. God damn it!

Tryin' to make it real — compared to what? (Sock it to me)

Church on Sunday, sleep and nod
Tryin' to duck the wrath of God
Preacher's fillin' us with fright
They all tryin' to teach us what they think is right
They really got to be some kind of nut (I can't use it!)
Tryin' to make it real — compared to what?

Where's that bee and where's that honey?
Where's my God and where's my money?

Unreal values, crass distortion
Unwed mothers need abortion
Kind of brings to mind ol' young King Tut (He did it now)
Tried to make it real — compared to what?!

(Music break)

Tryin' to make it real — compared to what?

F'kin brilliant, mate! :drink:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Next

Return to Creeper's Bar & Grill