Page 26 of 27

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:10 pm
by Uncle dans leg
So i bought a new grill...the Weber performer charcoal grill with the propane ignition thing to get the coals going. What a fantastic grill.
Half the price of the green egg and does a helluva job.
I did buy the green egg brand lump charcoal on a recommendation and glad i did. No toxic stink like regular briquettes and they get up to 600 degrees withing 15 minutes on this Q.

I made a big batch of BBQ pitboys vodka sauce and made an unreal country cut spare rib feast. Watch the youtube clip and make that sauce. Its hands down the best sauce you'll ever make

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:15 pm
by Meds
Uncle dans leg wrote:So i bought a new grill...the Weber performer charcoal grill with the propane ignition thing to get the coals going. What a fantastic grill.
Half the price of the green egg and does a helluva job.
I did buy the green egg brand lump charcoal on a recommendation and glad i did. No toxic stink like regular briquettes and they get up to 600 degrees withing 15 minutes on this Q.

I made a big batch of BBQ pitboys vodka sauce and made an unreal country cut spare rib feast. Watch the youtube clip and make that sauce. Its hands down the best sauce you'll ever make
First charcoal grill?

We've had 4 propane jobs in the last 8 years, they rust out fast regardless of covering them and cleaning them regularly or not. Tired of dropping $300+ on a BBQ that I get 2 seasons out of and then it's toast. Thinking of going "cheaper" and picking up the Weber Kettle, everything I have read says the thing is bulletproof, and it comes with a 10 year warranty.....but I've never done a charcoal grill before. Any advice?

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:41 pm
by Uncle dans leg
The grill i bought (Weber performer deluxe) is basically the weber kettle but with the propane igniter which really takes all the bullshit out of charcoal grilling. It comes on a full stand with a steel sideboard which really is a handy work space.
I am extremely happy with it. I've made all sorts of good stuff on there and when you use the green egg charcoal it takes amazing. Learning to control the heat with the top and bottom vents takes a little fucking around but you'll figure it out soon enough.

Weber has a nice system for emptying the ash...it goes down into a steel bucket that clips in. Dumping it takes all of 5 seconds and no scooping!

One thing I've heard to get which i haven't yet is the rotisserie for it. Its like 200 bucks which is probably why i havent got it yet...

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:39 pm
by Meds
Uncle dans leg wrote:The grill i bought (Weber performer deluxe) is basically the weber kettle but with the propane igniter which really takes all the bullshit out of charcoal grilling. It comes on a full stand with a steel sideboard which really is a handy work space.
I am extremely happy with it. I've made all sorts of good stuff on there and when you use the green egg charcoal it takes amazing. Learning to control the heat with the top and bottom vents takes a little fucking around but you'll figure it out soon enough.

Weber has a nice system for emptying the ash...it goes down into a steel bucket that clips in. Dumping it takes all of 5 seconds and no scooping!

One thing I've heard to get which i haven't yet is the rotisserie for it. Its like 200 bucks which is probably why i havent got it yet...
Thanks UDL.

I went with the 22" Weber Kettle with that easy ash empty thing. Picked up a quick light chimney for 24 bucks. Had to order it though as there weren't any local retailers here for Weber (other than Walmart's really basic model). Hopefully the chimney thing works as advertised.

Saw the one you got, would have liked to, but with school and clinical stuff coming up had to abide by a budget of sorts. I'll look for that Green Egg Lump stuff too. Was it $$$?

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:45 pm
by Cornuck
Chimney's work great, but try not to use damp paper. I just a grocery bag that's been inside.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:24 pm
by Uncle dans leg
Ya the lump coal is definitely a little pricey...around 30 to 35 for a big bag but it'll last a couple of months of average grilling. If you close off all the dampers when you're done you'll go through alot less.
Honestly it makes such a massive difference from kingsford or similar briquette type coal brands that I'd put it as your #1 priority

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:49 pm
by Cornuck
It's hard to find locally, but I'll buy lump charcoal every time. I'd rather not cook chemicals into my food if given a choice.

I also throw in a big handful of cherry / apple / mesquite (or the Jack Daniels Barrel) chips when the wood goes on.

Maybe Topper can verify this, but I've read that the meat only absorbs smoke (or absorbs the most) when it is cold or cool.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:25 pm
by Blob Mckenzie
I have been cooking a lot over the fire up at the lake. Found myself a nice grill rack that I lay over the drum and it's worked like a hot damn. I'm thinking why buy a barbecue to bring up there? I have a decent oven and stove and the fire, so why burn propane?

Toopy would you do a roast on the fire ? Or a whole chicken? How about ribs ? We've done steaks , fish, burgers, dogs etc but would be curious as to how you'd do a roast and what cut, and a whole chicken.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:37 pm
by Topper
Corn - I do know that unless you are smoking meat for several hours, not a few minutes, the type of woo means fuck all for flavour.

Blob - make a lid for it and shove the coals to the opposite side of where you are roasting your roast/bird. Try to keep the temp around 375-400 while you're roasting. Ribs, season and wrap in foil and cook for a couple of hours on lower coals ~350-375. Fish, I'd do in a pan or on a sheet of foil unless you can get it dry and well oiled. Fish will stick and overcook like IN on your ballsack.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:54 am
by dangler
Meds wrote: Picked up a quick light chimney for 24 bucks. Had to order it though as there weren't any local retailers here for Weber
Got mine at Johnstones (N. Van, Coq.) they've got all the Weber stuff ,lump charcoal & lots of other Bbq acc.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:36 am
by Topper
I picked up a new cutting board yesterday at Costco in Kelowna.

Edge grain maple, 18"x18"x2" for $30. A great deal.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:42 pm
by 5thhorseman
Topper wrote:I picked up a new cutting board yesterday at Costco in Kelowna.

Edge grain maple, 18"x18"x2" for $30. A great deal.
Just picked up one of these. Nice board! Thanks for the tip!

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:37 pm
by Topper
Oil well before using.

A light skiff rubbed in with your bare hand, and then another, and another.... until it won't absorb more. Flip it over and repeat.

Mineral oil is recommended. The hell with the rancid oil carcinogens, I use olive oil.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:54 pm
by 5thhorseman
So I've got a pig and charcoal bbq with a spit secured for a friends birthday party coming up soon. Thinking of brining the hog. Any suggestions?

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:16 pm
by Blob Mckenzie
5thhorseman wrote:So I've got a pig and charcoal bbq with a spit secured for a friends birthday party coming up soon. Thinking of brining the hog. Any suggestions?
I think the Picktons have a few recipes