Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4446
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Uncle dans leg » Mon May 30, 2016 1:10 pm

So i bought a new grill...the Weber performer charcoal grill with the propane ignition thing to get the coals going. What a fantastic grill.
Half the price of the green egg and does a helluva job.
I did buy the green egg brand lump charcoal on a recommendation and glad i did. No toxic stink like regular briquettes and they get up to 600 degrees withing 15 minutes on this Q.

I made a big batch of BBQ pitboys vodka sauce and made an unreal country cut spare rib feast. Watch the youtube clip and make that sauce. Its hands down the best sauce you'll ever make
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5817
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Meds » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:So i bought a new grill...the Weber performer charcoal grill with the propane ignition thing to get the coals going. What a fantastic grill.
Half the price of the green egg and does a helluva job.
I did buy the green egg brand lump charcoal on a recommendation and glad i did. No toxic stink like regular briquettes and they get up to 600 degrees withing 15 minutes on this Q.

I made a big batch of BBQ pitboys vodka sauce and made an unreal country cut spare rib feast. Watch the youtube clip and make that sauce. Its hands down the best sauce you'll ever make
First charcoal grill?

We've had 4 propane jobs in the last 8 years, they rust out fast regardless of covering them and cleaning them regularly or not. Tired of dropping $300+ on a BBQ that I get 2 seasons out of and then it's toast. Thinking of going "cheaper" and picking up the Weber Kettle, everything I have read says the thing is bulletproof, and it comes with a 10 year warranty.....but I've never done a charcoal grill before. Any advice?

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4446
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:41 pm

The grill i bought (Weber performer deluxe) is basically the weber kettle but with the propane igniter which really takes all the bullshit out of charcoal grilling. It comes on a full stand with a steel sideboard which really is a handy work space.
I am extremely happy with it. I've made all sorts of good stuff on there and when you use the green egg charcoal it takes amazing. Learning to control the heat with the top and bottom vents takes a little fucking around but you'll figure it out soon enough.

Weber has a nice system for emptying the ash...it goes down into a steel bucket that clips in. Dumping it takes all of 5 seconds and no scooping!

One thing I've heard to get which i haven't yet is the rotisserie for it. Its like 200 bucks which is probably why i havent got it yet...
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5817
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Meds » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:The grill i bought (Weber performer deluxe) is basically the weber kettle but with the propane igniter which really takes all the bullshit out of charcoal grilling. It comes on a full stand with a steel sideboard which really is a handy work space.
I am extremely happy with it. I've made all sorts of good stuff on there and when you use the green egg charcoal it takes amazing. Learning to control the heat with the top and bottom vents takes a little fucking around but you'll figure it out soon enough.

Weber has a nice system for emptying the ash...it goes down into a steel bucket that clips in. Dumping it takes all of 5 seconds and no scooping!

One thing I've heard to get which i haven't yet is the rotisserie for it. Its like 200 bucks which is probably why i havent got it yet...
Thanks UDL.

I went with the 22" Weber Kettle with that easy ash empty thing. Picked up a quick light chimney for 24 bucks. Had to order it though as there weren't any local retailers here for Weber (other than Walmart's really basic model). Hopefully the chimney thing works as advertised.

Saw the one you got, would have liked to, but with school and clinical stuff coming up had to abide by a budget of sorts. I'll look for that Green Egg Lump stuff too. Was it $$$?

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7353
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Cornuck » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:45 pm

Chimney's work great, but try not to use damp paper. I just a grocery bag that's been inside.
2017 - The Road to 65™

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4446
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:24 pm

Ya the lump coal is definitely a little pricey...around 30 to 35 for a big bag but it'll last a couple of months of average grilling. If you close off all the dampers when you're done you'll go through alot less.
Honestly it makes such a massive difference from kingsford or similar briquette type coal brands that I'd put it as your #1 priority
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7353
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Cornuck » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:49 pm

It's hard to find locally, but I'll buy lump charcoal every time. I'd rather not cook chemicals into my food if given a choice.

I also throw in a big handful of cherry / apple / mesquite (or the Jack Daniels Barrel) chips when the wood goes on.

Maybe Topper can verify this, but I've read that the meat only absorbs smoke (or absorbs the most) when it is cold or cool.
2017 - The Road to 65™

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10039
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:25 pm

I have been cooking a lot over the fire up at the lake. Found myself a nice grill rack that I lay over the drum and it's worked like a hot damn. I'm thinking why buy a barbecue to bring up there? I have a decent oven and stove and the fire, so why burn propane?

Toopy would you do a roast on the fire ? Or a whole chicken? How about ribs ? We've done steaks , fish, burgers, dogs etc but would be curious as to how you'd do a roast and what cut, and a whole chicken.
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9493
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Corn - I do know that unless you are smoking meat for several hours, not a few minutes, the type of woo means fuck all for flavour.

Blob - make a lid for it and shove the coals to the opposite side of where you are roasting your roast/bird. Try to keep the temp around 375-400 while you're roasting. Ribs, season and wrap in foil and cook for a couple of hours on lower coals ~350-375. Fish, I'd do in a pan or on a sheet of foil unless you can get it dry and well oiled. Fish will stick and overcook like IN on your ballsack.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
dangler
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 946
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by dangler » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:54 am

Meds wrote: Picked up a quick light chimney for 24 bucks. Had to order it though as there weren't any local retailers here for Weber
Got mine at Johnstones (N. Van, Coq.) they've got all the Weber stuff ,lump charcoal & lots of other Bbq acc.
Retool Rebuild

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9493
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:36 am

I picked up a new cutting board yesterday at Costco in Kelowna.

Edge grain maple, 18"x18"x2" for $30. A great deal.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by 5thhorseman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Topper wrote:I picked up a new cutting board yesterday at Costco in Kelowna.

Edge grain maple, 18"x18"x2" for $30. A great deal.
Just picked up one of these. Nice board! Thanks for the tip!

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9493
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Oil well before using.

A light skiff rubbed in with your bare hand, and then another, and another.... until it won't absorb more. Flip it over and repeat.

Mineral oil is recommended. The hell with the rancid oil carcinogens, I use olive oil.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by 5thhorseman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:54 pm

So I've got a pig and charcoal bbq with a spit secured for a friends birthday party coming up soon. Thinking of brining the hog. Any suggestions?

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10039
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:16 pm

5thhorseman wrote:So I've got a pig and charcoal bbq with a spit secured for a friends birthday party coming up soon. Thinking of brining the hog. Any suggestions?
I think the Picktons have a few recipes
TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTES

Post Reply