Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
rats19 wrote: not a bad rack...)
How about these guns for a rack?

Trimming a bit of fat from that pork chop wouldn't hurt.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
rats19 wrote: not a bad rack...)
How about these guns for a rack?

Trimming a bit of fat from that pork chop wouldn't hurt.
Would tying string around it make it more even
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rats19 wrote:Would tying string around it make it more even
It appears to have already been trussed, but I wouldn't want to handcuff your creative juices.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:
rats19 wrote:Would tying string around it make it more even
It appears to have already been trussed, but I wouldn't want to handcuff your creative juices.
No egg and oatmeal required here..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Thanks for the tips Topper. The method I was using was just a simple BBQ method so it will be nice to mix it up a bit. I'm a Blue cheese fanatic so I love the idea of topping the steak with the blue cheese butter.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Cornuck wrote:I miss lamb - it's impossible to find out here, and special order is prohibitively expensive. Please - don't post photos of a nice grilled chop or rack...I beg you.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Hali was good tonight.

It was quite a thick piece (2 1/2- 3 " thick) and I just basically poached it on the bbq.

EVOO, SP, garlic, white wine, and herbs. Pretty standard for salmon but it was effing tasty. I cant see myself frying that beautiful fish anytime soon.

Lingcod.....indeed.

So, should I waste my time on batter mixes homeade style or just go get one from the store. I have heard varying stories. Was looking to shallow fry some fish this week, dont have a deep fryer or deep dish fry pan.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

On our way home through Kelowna the other day , stopped at Godfather's Seafood Market for the best cod and chips lunch. If you are in Kelowna at lunch time, off the side of this fish monger in a strip mall on Gordon is a great little lunch counter.

Before leaving, I picked up a couple of tuna steaks from the fish monger. Tonight is ponzu cured tuna tataki on a bed of celeriac slaw with citrus yogourt dressed greens and polenta fries. We'll wash it down with a bottle of Black Hills Alibi.

I also bought some frozen monkfish loins and a frozen side of smoked black cod. They will wait for another time.

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote:Before leaving, I picked up a couple of tuna steaks from the fish monger. Tonight is ponzu cured tuna tataki on a bed of celeriac slaw with citrus yogourt dressed greens and polenta fries. We'll wash it down with a bottle of Black Hills Alibi.
Sounds wicked. I'll bring the dessert.

btw- Polenta fries? I've only ever seen polenta in a grits type form. Is there some kind of solidified polenta product that you just slice and fry?
2011..... the one that got away.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I make my own polenta.

Corn meal, milk/cream, seasonings. It so so cheap and easy, I can not figure out these pre-made tubes.

For soft polenta, use a 8:1 or even a 10:1 milk - corn meal ratio. This will be creamy soft.

For firm polenta 5:1 or 6:1 milk - corn meal ratio.

Start by sauteing fine dices onion and garlic in a pot, add you milk or cream and warm it, then slowly add the corn meal pouring it in "like rain" while stirring. Keep stirring, keep stirring, keep stirring..... Cook it until it is smooth and has lost its grittiness.

For firm polenta, when it gets thick, pour it out onto a greased sheet pan and form into a 3/4 inch layer to cool. From that I cut fries, croutons.... whatever and toss them into a very hot oiled skillet to brown and reheat.

The creamy polenta can be made ahead and nuked to reheat.

I've flavoured polenta with shitake mushrooms (with smoke duck legs and pan seared duck breast), Parmesan cheese, smoked paprika (La Chinita is the best), rosemary and I can't remember what else. Don't forget, any corn product needs lots of salt.

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Thanks for the polenta tip there Topper, I was always curious. I've never really liked polenta because of the tube you'd have to buy it in...gonna have to try one on my own one day.

I will be making Thai coconut prawns tonight, while Mr.LB brings my cousin's hubby to the game, my cousin and I are gonna hang out, drink some wine, watch the game and have some Thai food at home. Thai Mango salad will be our fresh dish.

THAI MANGO SALAD

1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped peanuts
2 firm mangoes, (about 2 lbs/1 kg)
1 sweet red pepper
2 carrots, coarsely grated
4 cups (1 L) torn mixed greens.php">greens
1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced green onions
2 tbsp (25 mL) coarsely chopped fresh mint
Dressing:
1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
1 tsp (5 mL) grated lime rind
2 tbsp (25 mL) lime juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce or soy sauce
2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) minced hot pepper
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper

Preparation:

In skillet, toast peanuts over medium heat until fragrant and dark golden, about 8 minutes. Set aside.

Peel, pit and thinly slice mangoes lengthwise. Seed, core and thinly slice red pepper. Set aside.

Dressing: In large bowl, whisk together oil, lime rind and juice, fish sauce, sugar, hot pepper, salt and pepper. Add mangoes, red pepper, carrots, mixed greens, green onions and mint; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with peanuts.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

OK, so the steaks turned out killer.

But more importantly, everyone's favourite Canucks message board war criminal has himself a big date tonight!

Yes, areseholes, with a woman. A very attractive woman at that, and I've come to believe that her good lucks are matched only by her lack of intelligence. BONUS!

Definitely getting it on tonight. :rockin: :rockin:

So we're heading out to a local pub for some bar food, complemented with stouts (for me) and moonshine (for her). Then I'm thinking I'll grill up some chicken breasts at home with some of my famous homemade fettucini alfredo. I only indulge in lard one night a week so I'm jonesing for some fat. I just want to make sure the fat is on my plate and not sitting across the table from me. That picture better fucking be recent. I'm shredded like a mofo and I demand a certain standard!

Anyway, for desert I'm thinking leftover caramel cheesecake (what am I, made of money?), a rag soaked with paint thinner, 1 liter of absinthe and a sexual assault charge.

I'm loosening up right now with the greyest of geese!

Enjoy your weekend, gang!

WOOOOOOO!!!

*staggers away from computer to change into sexy shirt*
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

That's one lucky lady.... :look:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Last time there was a storey like that it ended with wet noodle.

Tell us if the alfredo makes it the the fettuccine.

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Rumsfeld wrote:OK, so the steaks turned out killer.

But more importantly, everyone's favourite Canucks message board war criminal has himself a big date tonight!

Yes, areseholes, with a woman. A very attractive woman at that, and I've come to believe that her good lucks are matched only by her lack of intelligence. BONUS!

Definitely getting it on tonight. :rockin: :rockin:

So we're heading out to a local pub for some bar food, complemented with stouts (for me) and moonshine (for her). Then I'm thinking I'll grill up some chicken breasts at home with some of my famous homemade fettucini alfredo. I only indulge in lard one night a week so I'm jonesing for some fat. I just want to make sure the fat is on my plate and not sitting across the table from me. That picture better fucking be recent. I'm shredded like a mofo and I demand a certain standard!

Anyway, for desert I'm thinking leftover caramel cheesecake (what am I, made of money?), a rag soaked with paint thinner, 1 liter of absinthe and a sexual assault charge.

I'm loosening up right now with the greyest of geese!

Enjoy your weekend, gang!

WOOOOOOO!!!

*staggers away from computer to change into sexy shirt*

Funniest post I've seen in almost 3 months.

Totally reminds me of creeper!

You must update and let us know how things went.

She's not by any chance a....... nurse?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P