Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by ODB »

Topper I need your help again!

Five years ago you told me how to season and grill a steak. Since that day I’ve grilled every single steak following your instructions to the letter. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve been told I grilled the best steak they’ve ever had. People telling me my steaks are better than restraints! Now I'm actually known for how good my steaks are. I've passed the knowledge on to a few people and I've given you credit! I even know a guy that just lathers on Bulls Eye! I made him a steak that he still talks about two years later.

Now I need the same thing but for boneless skinless chicken breasts. I need it explained beginning to end. How to season the chicken, how hot to get the grill, what to use to stop the chicken from sticking to the grill, how long to cook it. (BTW, I'm not a fan of hot n spicy)

My Chicken ends up being a dried out tasteless limp of crap....

HELP! Image
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Arachnid »

You posted in the wrong thread f'tard :scowl:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7898
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

ODB wrote:People telling me my steaks are better than restraints!
You hang out with a very kinky crowd.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Rayxor wrote:
Friggen spell check! :shock:

And it's not the same wrong thread Spidey! Your thread is the challenge thread. Different subject matter altogether!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

ODB wrote:Now I need the same thing but for boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Screw the over priced breasts. Go with skinless boneless thighs. The dark meat stays juicier and tastes way better imo.

We marinate all our legs and thighs in an inexpensive balsamic salad dressing and garlic. We usually have fresh rosemary or thyme kicking around to throw in too.

I haven't tried it yet but buttermilk is a pretty common marinade because it tenderizes the meat.
2011..... the one that got away.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:
Rayxor wrote:
Friggen spell check! :shock:

And it's not the same wrong thread Spidey! Your thread is the challenge thread. Different subject matter altogether!
:lol:

Do you ask TopTop to suck your rocks too when you find one in your backyard?

Try buying a juicy organic breast first of all then cooking it under a brick, pounding, brines or rubs and glaze recipes....

Herbed Grilled Chicken Breasts

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each), trimmed and rinsed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Crushed red chile flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, flat-leaf parsley, or other fresh herb
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges for serving
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil; more for drizzling

Lightly wet a chicken breast with cold water and set it between two sheets of plastic wrap. Pound it into a broad, flat sheet about 1/4-inch thick (called a paillard), using a meat pounder, the side of a heavy cleaver, or a skillet. Pound the other breasts into paillards the same way and arrange them on a baking sheet.

Generously season each paillard on both sides with salt and pepper and a pinch or two of chile flakes. Sprinkle both sides with the garlic and rosemary. Drizzle both sides with the lemon juice and olive oil and pat into the meat with your fingertips. Refrigerate the paillards for 20 minutes while you prepare the grill.

Heat a gas grill to high or prepare a hot charcoal fire. Brush and oil the grill grate.

Arrange the paillards on the grill grate and grill until cooked and firm to the touch, 1 to 2 minutes per side. (Use a long, wide spatula to move and turn the paillards.) Transfer the paillards to a platter or plates. Drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately with lemon wedges for squeezing.

from Fine Cooking

Enjoy f'redneck :roll:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
ODB wrote:Now I need the same thing but for boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Screw the over priced breasts. Go with skinless boneless thighs. The dark meat stays juicier and tastes way better imo.

We marinate all our legs and thighs in an inexpensive balsamic salad dressing and garlic. We usually have fresh rosemary or thyme kicking around to throw in too.

I haven't tried it yet but buttermilk is a pretty common marinade because it tenderizes the meat.
Agreed but it is higher in fat (I love the dark meat too 8-) )

Beer can chicken never fails and you get to eat the whole chicken throughout the week (just use a good IPA)
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

ODB wrote:Topper I need your help again!

Five years ago you told me how to season and grill a steak. Since that day I’ve grilled every single steak following your instructions to the letter. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve been told I grilled the best steak they’ve ever had. People telling me my steaks are better than restraints! Now I'm actually known for how good my steaks are. I've passed the knowledge on to a few people and I've given you credit! I even know a guy that just lathers on Bulls Eye! I made him a steak that he still talks about two years later.

Now I need the same thing but for boneless skinless chicken breasts. I need it explained beginning to end. How to season the chicken, how hot to get the grill, what to use to stop the chicken from sticking to the grill, how long to cook it. (BTW, I'm not a fan of hot n spicy)

HELP! Image
No matter the recipe, do not rush. Indirect heat. Many swear by generously salting, which counterintuitively keeps things moist.

I'd fight the hypo. Don't go boneless, skinless.

This year I got a smoker. One trick I tried a couple weeks ago with success was placing the breast (with bones) upside down and put a thigh in the cavity. Fat from the thigh will find it's way into the breast, like a spit.

To keep pork tendorloin moist, I will mark with direct heat and then go indirect in aluminum foil, periodically applying marinade of soy, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, honey and green onions.

Seafood excepted, no matter the meat, let it rest after cooking.
Hono_rary Canadian
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

I have found the same with chicken Ohdee, but when I started cooking it like pork (sear on the Q and then low and slow) it turned out amazing. Of course the pork would be pulled (..... :lol: ) off earlier than the chicken but it seems to get rave reviews, just like Tops method of cooking the steaks which is painlessly simple but we all need a start somewhere eh?

Closer to room temp I'd imagine is better for more than one meat, unless your cooking @ the local Jack in the Box.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Thanks for the tip(s)....

Gonna grill me some Chicken(s) this weekend!

:thumbs:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Why boneless skinless?

The bones add great flavour while cooking and the crispy skin adds texture. If you crisp the skin, the fat has been rendered out.

Whole trussed chicken have full restraints and are favourite on the Topper grill. Loosely stuff with couple wedges of onion, lemon and some garlic cloves.

Go back to first principles.

Lid open = grill
Lid closed = oven

Dry food with a skiff of oil will stick initially and then release as it browns.

Don't play with your food. Put it on the grill and leave it alone.

What I do.

Wrap the meat in paper towel to absorb excess moisture.

Get the grill hot.

Unwrap the meat and season the chicken tits, salt pepper herbs.

As UW said, indirect heat. You'll put the meat on one portion of the grill and turn the heat down/off on that portion while maintaining temp with the burners on the other side. For folks with real BBQ's, have your coals on one side only.

Put the tits, skin side down on the the grill, turn the heat down/off on that portion of the grill. This will give you grill makes on that side. Shut the lid and play with the heat settings so you maintain ~375F.

Turn the breasts after about 10 minutes if they have released from the grill. Cook until done. Maybe 1/2 hour 40 minutes? I stick the pint of a pairing knife into the thickest part, count to 7, then hold the blade to the inside of my wrist, if its hot, chicken is done.

Now if you really want to impress. Do the same with a whole bird. When you season it, loosen the skin on the breasts and thighs and rub the herb mixture in under the skin as well as on the outside. Combining the herbs with olive oil to make a paste is the way to go. A couple of strips of bacon under the skin of the breasts will have them creaming themselves.

Place breast side up on the low/off heat side of your grill, close the lid and maintain heat of 375F for about 2 hrs.

As with all meat, take it off the grill and let it rest fro a few minutes. Then carve off the legs, breasts and wings. Steal the oysters off the back as a chef's treat.

Save the carcass for a soup base.

Mrs Topper is the worlds greatest tortilla maker, so we eat the chicken with fresh tortillas (corn or flour depending upon the mood), salsa fresca (diced red onion, cilantro, tomato, a squeeze of lime and a mash of garlic), guacamole and grated cheese.
Last edited by Topper on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Topper wrote:
Get the grill hot.

Unwrap the meat and season the chicken tits, salt pepper herbs.

As UW said, indirect heat. You'll put the meat on one portion of the grill and turn the heat down/off on that portion while maintaining temp with the burners on the other side. For folks with real BBQ's, have your coals on one side only.

Put the tits, skin side down on the the grill, turn the heat down/off on that portion of the grill. This will give you grill makes on that side. Shut the lid and play with the heat settings so you maintain ~375F.
Thanks Topps, I will soon be the Chicken king. Three Q's...

1. When you say get the grill hot. Do you mean blistering hot (crank er up) or 375F hot and then turn burners under chicken off when I put them on?

2. Herbs... specifically what herbs?

3. (going back to steak) I forgot about your lid closed oven rule... When grilling steak do you keep lid open or closed? I close it....???

EDIT TOO ADD!

4. I'm going to do the whole bird. Do I set the bird in a tray or does it go directly on the grill?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote: 1. When you say get the grill hot. Do you mean blistering hot (crank er up) or 375F hot and then turn burners under chicken off when I put them on?
Get it fairly hot, more than 375F. You want get some grill marks going on the tits. For a whole bird, you don't have to worry about marking it as it just roasts away.
ODB wrote: 2. Herbs... specifically what herbs?
Rosemary, thyme. Chicken likes cumin, but some folks aren't overly fond of it. Make up a paste of chopped herbs, mashed garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil and slather away. Getting the seasoning under the skin is key.
ODB wrote: 3. (going back to steak) I forgot about your lid closed oven rule... When grilling steak do you keep lid open or closed? I close it....???
OPEN
ODB wrote: EDIT TOO ADD!

4. I'm going to do the whole bird. Do I set the bird in a tray or does it go directly on the grill?
On the gill. Make sure your catch pan under the grill is clean because a whole bird will generate a lot of drippings. The colour of the bird alone will win raves from your friends.

Edit: Don't forget to tie the legs up with the popes nose and when you stuff it, just do so loosely, one or two wedges of onion, one or two wedges of lemon/lime, a couple of garlic cloves.As with any bird, don't jam it in, be gentle.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

**Bookmarks thread with iPad in order to use whilst grilling**
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Something else that Topper obviously knows but forgot to mention...

When roasting a whole bird, make sure to take it out of the fridge and let it stand at room temp for 1-2 hours before you start cooking it, which will let it cook more evenly.

(Same goes for your steaks!...just not as long)

On a side note, last weekend I saw a pub on Broadway (The Manchester I think) roasting a whole pig out on their patio. I was just driving by, and in too much of a hurry to stop...but I was very impressed.

Edit - And I agree, why bother with boneless skinless breasts if you're having guests over? (unless it's Arachnid :wink: ). If you're stuck on breasts :lol: , get them bone in skin on.