Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper »

My two favourites are the sun dried black olives sold by Bosa, and while your their (LOL) buy a couple of cans of the green olives stuffed with anchovy paste. We have to hide the anchovy stuffed olives from my kid or they're (LOL) gone.

When you take olives from a can, put them in a strainer and give them a quick rince under cold water.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote:My two favourites are the sun dried black olives sold by Bosa, and while your their (LOL) buy a couple of cans of the green olives stuffed with anchovy paste. We have to hide the anchovy stuffed olives from my kid or they're (LOL) gone.

When you take olives from a can, put them in a strainer and give them a quick rince under cold water.
Nice, yeah I dry them out a bit. I love the big green garlic-stuffed mofos as well.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Btw the real problem is and always has been overpopulation. If we really care about the planet we need find a way to get rid of a significant number of all these fucking people, either through population control, genocide, whatever.
Are you talking about grilling... people?? :shock:
A Modest Proposal
soylent green
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Nice dinner with friends tonight, wish they'd have washed their own feet.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:Nice dinner with friends tonight, wish they'd have washed their own feet.
Do you ever cook easy Topper? Wife's about to pop and I need some easy meals to concoct while I sip beer and watch the playoffs.

Might just have to join Doc on the mac'n'cheese gut-show.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Easy stuff, all the time when my wife is working and its me and the kid for diner.

Pasta is always quick, saute onion, garlic and then add from there.

Mac n cheese, get a pot of water boiling, while that is going, in a small pot melt butter, saute some onion and garlic, add flour to make a roux, add milk and stir to thicken (a quick bechemel sauce). The water in the other pot is now boiling, add dry pasta and cook to aldente +/- 8 min. Add cheese (gorgonzola is great, cheddar is fine) to the thickened milk and stir. Just before the pasta is cooked add veggies and cooked meat to the cheese sauce. (ham-peas, ham-corn-red pepper-paprika....hell even a tin of salmon or tuna) This is the cooking from university days.

Carbonara.....putanesca (actually a perfect time in your life for that)

Roasted chicken is our favourite standby, but any roast is easy and it has lots of leftovers to get you through a couple more lunches/diners.

Fire up the wok.

Cook extra rice and use the excess for fried rice another night.

Add pears, toasted walnuts and meat to a green salad

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Excellent, thanks.

Might be the most gourmet university mac'n'chese I've ever heard of. When I was at UVic I thought the Kraft Velveeta was stepping up.

I should buy a wok.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Going to second the roast chicken. Stick another dish of veg (carrots, parsnips, cauliflower etc) and/or potatoes in partway through, make a green salad (takes 5 minutes) and there's dinner. Maybe 15-20 minutes of work in total.

Save half the bird and make soup or enchiladas or pasta with it (I like to do tagliatelle with a sauce of chicken stock and some of the pasta water boiled down, throw in the leftover chicken and some sultanas to plump up, toss it all together with the noodles and top it with toasted pine nuts and parmesan) and there's two meals without even thinking.
Topper wrote:.....putanesca (actually a perfect time in your life for that)
:lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I may spike them with hole grain alcohol

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Topper wrote:Nice dinner with friends tonight, wish they'd have washed their own feet.
Do you ever cook easy Topper? Wife's about to pop and I need some easy meals to concoct while I sip beer and watch the playoffs.

Might just have to join Doc on the mac'n'cheese gut-show.
DA FOCK?

Wifey is an awesome cook, not sure where that came from...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I should buy a wok.
Unless you have a gas stove to get it somewhat close to hot enough i'd pick up a carbon steel fry pan instead and have more surface area in contact with the heat.

If you see a chinese kitchen, the burners are huge, woks are incredibly hot and cooking is lightening fast.

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hey Tops do you ever make your own Chinese Food? Not the greasy shit that they serve in a restaurant but real homemade chink food. I work with a couple of Chinese electricians and these guys have shared some amazing home cooked meals, not all loaded up with msg and grease.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Every once in a while I give it a try. We did a bit of Asian cooking at school. What I find is it is best to construct a sauce separately and then toss that at the end. Texture plays a huge role.

I grew up with a Chinese family pig farm across the street from us in N Delta (where Grey Elementary now is, the septic ponds from the pig farm are where the very green grass fields of Sands Jr. High are). They had kids my age that I spent a lot of time playing with. It was a very big treat to be invited to stay for lunch. Their mother cooked on an old wood stove. Food is still memorable to this day.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blobby, on a recent Vancouver trip I ate at a hole in the wall Taiwanese noodle house and had a very memorable beef noodle soup. Came home and googled a recipe and made it.

A tough chunk of beef braised in soy sauce, rice vinegar, beef stock with orange peel, ginger garlic onion.... at the end I added noodle and baby bok choy. Fantastic.

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

ok I may be reaching here but does anyone have a recipe for falafel?

I will get the Pita bread from the store I want to make the falafel and sauce from scratch.