Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Vpete »

ODB wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:OK, so the steaks turned out killer.

But more importantly, everyone's favourite Canucks message board war criminal has himself a big date tonight!

Yes, areseholes, with a woman. A very attractive woman at that, and I've come to believe that her good lucks are matched only by her lack of intelligence. BONUS!

Definitely getting it on tonight. :rockin: :rockin:

So we're heading out to a local pub for some bar food, complemented with stouts (for me) and moonshine (for her). Then I'm thinking I'll grill up some chicken breasts at home with some of my famous homemade fettucini alfredo. I only indulge in lard one night a week so I'm jonesing for some fat. I just want to make sure the fat is on my plate and not sitting across the table from me. That picture better fucking be recent. I'm shredded like a mofo and I demand a certain standard!

Anyway, for desert I'm thinking leftover caramel cheesecake (what am I, made of money?), a rag soaked with paint thinner, 1 liter of absinthe and a sexual assault charge.

I'm loosening up right now with the greyest of geese!

Enjoy your weekend, gang!

WOOOOOOO!!!

*staggers away from computer to change into sexy shirt*

Funniest post I've seen in almost 3 months.

Totally reminds me of creeper!

You must update and let us know how things went.

She's not by any chance a....... nurse?
OMG I totally forgot about the nurse!

Ha!
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

OK, so I'm sipping a G&T in the pub, I've had a couple scotches, and I'm feeling real good.

In walks my date. She has a big cast on her arm.

I'm serious you guys, her fucking arm is broken! No mention of this in our conversations!

She's pretty hot, but what the hell am I supposed to do with this gimp?

We get back to my place and she can't stop complaining about her arm... she's also very mysterious about how the injury occured in the first place. The whining reaches fever pitch about midnight, so I'm like "OK, I have some Percs left over from my wisdom teeth getting yanked... try these."

Now she's super high AND super boring! She's regaling me with a laundry list of the perils of working as a "dancer" in Vancouver. I'm fucking losing it!

Anway I had to be very gentle with her, which really isn't my style. :twisted: In the morning I drove her home and asked her when she gets the cast off. She said in six weeks. I said "Sweet, call me in eight weeks!"

I always get the weirdos! But I won't give up the hunt.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Rumsfeld wrote:OK, so I'm sipping a G&T in the pub, I've had a couple scotches, and I'm feeling real good.

I'm serious you guys, her fucking arm is broken! No mention of this in our conversations!

We get back to my place and she can't stop complaining about her arm... she's also very mysterious about how the injury occured in the first place. The whining reaches fever pitch about midnight, so I'm like "OK, I have some Percs left over from my wisdom teeth getting yanked... try these."

Now she's super high AND super boring! She's regaling me with a laundry list of the perils of working as a "dancer" in Vancouver. I'm fucking losing it!

Anway I had to be very gentle with her, which really isn't my style. :twisted: In the morning I drove her home and asked her when she gets the cast off. She said in six weeks. I said "Sweet, call me in eight weeks!"

I thought this thread was about grilling advice, not drilling advice

:eh: :look: :drunk:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:OK, so I'm sipping a G&T in the pub, I've had a couple scotches, and I'm feeling real good.

I thought this thread was about grilling advice, not drilling advice

:eh: :look: :drunk:
I need help with both!

But yeah, probably the wrong thread.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

LotusBlossom wrote: I thought this thread was about grilling advice, not drilling advice
Well in fairness to Rummy, the mods did away with the Drilling Advice thread. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Is your real world name Mike? 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Lets hear the Turkey advice. :drink:

Just curious.

Might as well throw a roast in your response as well. :thumbs:

I dont want no turducken recipe either! haha
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

CFP! wrote:Lets hear the Turkey advice. :drink:

Just curious.

I'd like some stuffing advice too.

And no, not from you Rumsfeld.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

herb wrote:
CFP! wrote:Lets hear the Turkey advice. :drink:

Just curious.

I'd like some stuffing advice too.

And no, not from you Rumsfeld.
:lol:

This is from allrecipes.com

But I use a variation of this for my stuffing. Seems to go over well with the 20+ ppl I usually feed for Christmas (I never get to cook TG turkey)

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups cubed whole wheat bread --->rye
3 3/4 cups cubed white bread----------> I ended up using rye bread. I usually don't eat wheat but TG is an exception
1 pound ground turkey sausage ----> Butcher shop quality is usually best
1 cup chopped fennel ----> you can use onion but I prefer the fennel
3/4 cup chopped celery
2 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
1 cooked turkey liver, finely chopped
3/4 cup turkey stock ----> if you can't use this, use chicken stock, but the turkey stock if use from the actual bird is always better
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degree F (175 degree C). Spread the (RYE) white and whole wheat bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until evenly toasted. Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.
In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Mix in chopped apples, dried cranberries, parsley, and liver. Drizzle with turkey stock and melted butter, and mix lightly. Spoon into turkey to loosely fill.

It's no Topper creativity, but it works and I've never had complaints in the taste department.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy the weekend with your families and loved ones.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'll do a turkey similar to the way I do a chicken, herbs under the skin, but with the bigger bird you can be more creative with it,

Try mushroom slices (truffles if you are feeling $$$$) and bacon with rosemary and juniper.

As for stuffing, there are some valid health concerns about not stuffing a bird other than very loosely with seasoning items (garlic, onion, lemon) that will be discarded later. Fully cooking the stuffing and not over cooking the bird is the issue.

That said, for an occasion, I'll stuff the bird with a bread based stuffing and then bake a sausage based stuffing in a casserole dish. Try oysters in your stuffing if your crowd is for it. Don't forget that texture is a major component, have something with a crunch in there with all the softness of the stuffing.

Think the season, fall berries, apples, hazelnuts, chanterells.... Fennel instead of onion is great LB. I often serve caramelized fennel as a side dish.

Don't forget roasted squash and for christ sake buy a potato ricer or mouli mill so you can make good mashed spuds. Season them with something, buttermilk/roasted garlic/rosemary/olive oil/horse radish.

I also like succotash with the Thanksgiving dinner. Tis the season for fresh corn.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Great ideas about the stuffing - I've never been a huge fan stuffing, since it's usually bland and mushy.

A couple of things I done the past few years with my turkeys and people seem to like the results; I'll rub a garlic butter herb mix under the skin - baste with a juice mixture and add apples to the roasting pan - and I always cook the bird legs down now to get nice moist breast meat and flip it to brown the top at the end. I also baste often.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

A large portion of my immediate family are vegetarians, so we basically have to cook two separate meals for all these holidays.

It seems like ages ago that we could all just sit down and eat the same bloody dinner.

:(

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Apparently vegetarians taste quite good.

May I suggest fava beans and a nice Chianti.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote:Apparently vegetarians taste quite good.

May I suggest fava beans and a nice Chianti.
:D

I suspect they'd be kind of stringy.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Wifey has already started cooking the feast for tomorrow, gonna have a houseful (only two vegetarians). We are invited to a VEGETARIAN THANKSGIVING on Monday. Never heard of such a thing, but there are quite a few vegetarians in the extended family. Can't make it because we have some out-of-towners spending the weekend.

Plus I don't eat vegetables. ;)
____
Try to focus on someday.