Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper »

Meatless Mondays?

What bull dyke bitch/hippie faggot thought up that idea?

What will the protester do on blue rare Tuesdays when the city is force fed bloody steaks.
Die in a bike lane Gregor
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Meatless Mondays?

What will the protester do on blue rare Tuesdays when the city is force fed bloody steaks.
Die in a bike lane Gregor
:lol:

Ummm, as I say to the vegatarian ladies (and it has been very successful 8-) ) I eat a vegetarian...cows are vegetarians

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL, my kid is a food snob.

I made Boeuf Bourguignon the other day and my kid wouldn't eat it until I added stilton.

We went out to a local Italian restaurant for dinner and ordered gnocchi for the kid and we had to send it back because their store bought gnocchi are solid rubber moose pellets that the kid wouldn't eat. Gnocchi should be soft (cloudlike is a common description, maybe fresh from a well hydrated moose :crazy: ).

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Topper wrote:Meatless Mondays?

I know of a certain 46 year old Neighborhood Coordinator that would be inclined to think along those lines, but it depends on what you mean by 'Meatless Mondays.'

##CreativeOutofTheBoxThinkingBoyScout
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Change of plan on some of the Thanksgiving dinner at the Topper house.

Crispy roasted duck with balsamic, molasses, cinnamon glaze.
Caramelized roasted Brussel sprouts with diced apple and hickory smoke.
Olive oil mashed potatoes.
Duck sauce with cocoa and sour cherries.

Belizean coconut tart.

Black Hills 2009 Syrah

dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

If you see Organic World meat products out of Maple Ridge, give their beef tenderloin steaks a try.
Best tasting steak i've tasted!!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Had friends over for dinner the past couple of weekends.
Osso Buco with Saffron Risotto and Ratatouille

Squid Ink Risotto with Seafood Ragu and Pan Roasted Mahi Mahi

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

What about maple salmon?

My son loves it but not sure the best method to make it?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I would cook it like a regular salmon fillet and then spread a bit of maple syrup on after I turn the fillet.

Pull the fillets from the fridge and get them to room temp and wrap it in a linen or paper towel to get soak up excess moisture. This will keep your fish from sticking when it hits the pan.
Get your pan hot, add oil, get it hot.
Salt, white pepper on the fillet and then top side down into the pan.
When you turn the salmon, drizzle or brush on a thin film of maple syrup.

Something else you may try is to heat, very low, maple syrup in a small pot with ginger threads. Poach the threads in the maple syrup. If it begins to reduce just add a small amount of water. You could brush that on the fish. Alternative to ginger may be star anise.

Another method would be to season the fish, brush with maple syrup and wrap in foil with a little sesame oil and soy sauce and bake it. I do this with ginger threads, and slivered green onions.

The trick with any fish cookery is not to over cook it. Rose (rare-medium rare) is how you want it.

How about maple ginger salmon on star anise rice and sesame oil zucchini?

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote:
Drool.

Big ass Spring sitting in the freezer flash frozen after being caught.

That meal ^^^^ is happening this weekend.

Any (further to the above) guidance would be appreciated Topper....
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Cook the salmon with maple and ginger, put some star anise in the rice, put some sesame oil on the zucchini. Duh. :roll:
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

dbr wrote:Cook the salmon with maple and ginger, put some star anise in the rice, put some sesame oil on the zucchini. Duh. :roll:
lever looks around, makes sure he's in the Open Forum, confirms same..

FUCK YOU dbr!!

Ah, that's better.

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hah. I tried making dinner based on a Topper post (multi-paragraph no less!) once upon a time. Let's just say that now when I see he's mentioned something tasty, I take it as a queue to go find an actual recipe my dumb ass can follow.

I can cook without a recipe, and I can do a passable job of a new dish.. but only one at a time.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

OK thanks I will try one this weekend.

Pretty stoked get to do some more cooking this weekend.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:
Topper wrote:
Drool.

Big ass Spring sitting in the freezer flash frozen after being caught.

That meal ^^^^ is happening this weekend.

Any (further to the above) guidance would be appreciated Topper....
Don't you have hired help for this?

Gently thaw the fish and fillet it, don't butcher it. Remember to remove the pin bones with fish tweezers or a small set of needle nose pliers.

When you cut your portions, cut on a bias to the fish and the table, that is, don't cut perpendicular to the backbone across the fillet, and don't cut straight down perpendicular to the table.

Wrap the fish in linen or paper towel to absorb excess moisture to keep from sticking, season with salt and white pepper.

I'd poach the ginger threads in maple syrup and a bit of water and keep checking for flavour and consistency. One other concern is how much bite do you want to the ginger threads. You could cook them to very soft, personally, I'd do them al dente and if you really wanted to go overboard, candy them in maple syrup and add at the end.

I mentioned above in my reply to reefer, to start top side down. This is because I can not figure out how to do them with skin on. To crisp the skin, you start with a hot pan, hot oil and put skin side down but that would mean finishing with the maple glaze down and I fear the sugars would burn. If you finish with the skin side down, I doubt the pan would be hot enough (heat has been transferred to the fish) to crisp the skin. You could try two pans, start top down in one pan while heating a second pan, when you turn the fish to the skin side down, do so into the second pan and then brush on the glaze. Something else you could try is to brule the glaze with a torch while the skin side cooks. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try the broiler in the oven as things could go very wrong in a hurry.

Rice, I use a rice cooker, 1C white basmatti (I can't stand the texture of brown rice), rinsed 3-4 times in cold water, 1.25C water, a knob of unsalted butter (YES BUTTER, even more nutty flavour to the basmatti), salt and 3 or 4 star anise. Plug it in an press start. Remove the star anise when it's cooked.

Cut the ends off the zucchini and cut in 1/2 length wise. Use a spoon to take out the centre core with the seeds. Cut each half of the zucchini again lengthwise into 3 or for pieces per half (6 or 8 total) and then cut into 3/4 inch lengths. Get a fry pan large enough to hold all the zucchini loosely hot and then add oil, get the oil hot, add the zucchini and give a quick toss to coat the veg, season with salt and pepper. NOW DON'T FUCK WITH IT. The pieces will stick, leave them and let them release on their own. They should be just golden brown, maybe a bit more. Turn and cook another side. Just before they are down, toss in a little sesame oil. Be careful because sesame oil can become cloyingly icky overpowering if you use too much.

I'd serve with an unoaked Sav Blanc, look to NZ, Oregon, Loire Valley. A Sauternes would also be a good choice. If you must go red, probably a Pinot Noir.