Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:30 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:16 am Was thinking of trying my hand at greenhousing and growing peppers. Been looking into these cobb stoves to start the growing season early. Look what you pay for fuckin peppers. Its like growing weed
I found peppers a lot easier to grow than I expected, but you need to start your seedlings in January and keep them under light/heat as long as you can. I have a mini-greenhouse inside the house with two tiers, two flourescents with natural light on each tier. Peppers are really slow growers and once you put them outside the growth completely stalls unless you can hold off until June.

Pick off all the flowers when they're young to make them grow bigger and produce a bigger yield. Regular green peppers (e.g California Wonder) are great but for red ones I'd use Hungarian Red. They're smaller but you'll get red peppers sooner. Black beauty is also a nice one go grow; deep purple colour.
Green pepper are for cattle and pigs.

I blacken peppers on the burners of our gas stove, grill will work well. Keep is screaming hot.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

5thhorseman wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:30 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:16 am Was thinking of trying my hand at greenhousing and growing peppers. Been looking into these cobb stoves to start the growing season early. Look what you pay for fuckin peppers. Its like growing weed
I found peppers a lot easier to grow than I expected, but you need to start your seedlings in January and keep them under light/heat as long as you can. I have a mini-greenhouse inside the house with two tiers, two flourescents with natural light on each tier. Peppers are really slow growers and once you put them outside the growth completely stalls unless you can hold off until June.

Pick off all the flowers when they're young to make them grow bigger and produce a bigger yield. Regular green peppers (e.g California Wonder) are great but for red ones I'd use Hungarian Red. They're smaller but you'll get red peppers sooner. Black beauty is also a nice one go grow; deep purple colour.
Thanks man good advice. Ill write down those strains for reference for sure

The heated greenhouse plan should allow me to start early but not January in Alberia early. We get a shitload of sunshine here at least and if i have them covered i am hopeful they can grow well through the summer. Down south around the hat they have huge industrial pepper farms due to all that sunshine so I'm hopeful
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

As a cash crop theres yuge income potential in pig peppers :D

5 bucks a kilo? When did they get so damn pricey?
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

How many of you grow your own herbs? How much better flavour vs. buying dried?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:06 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 am
SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm Carson Focht with two goals tonight - the game-tying and OT winner.

He’s up to 4 points (3+1) in 2 WHL games this season.

Another solid prospect marinating in juniors, and he plays a in your face style.
Is he really marinating?
Like a good Marinara sauce. Marinara is not a slow cook sauce like a slow cooker pork back rib tomato sauce. Focht is like a good marinara sauce, no need of marinating. He’s already marinated. Topper makes a good marinara sauce, he grows his own tomatoes, gathers his own herb (basil, oregano) from his own herb garden.
RD wins.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

It’s an unbelieavable mushroom year. We usually take the dog for a walk in the woods on the weekends, and there are mushrooms everywhere! Regular chanterelles, winter chanterelles, yellow foot... loads of them. Brought home five bags yesterday. Really good with game meat like moose or reindeer.

Put some butter in a skillet, add a finely chopped onion.
Then add half a kg of shaved reindeer meat, two fistfuls of winter chanterelles, six crushed juniper berries, a spoonful of dijon mustard, some salt and a touch of freshly ground black pepper. Add 300 ml of fresh cream and let it simmer till thick.

Serve with mashed potatoes topped with some melted butter and a sprinkle of truffle salt.

Enjoy! :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Per wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:06 am It’s an unbelieavable mushroom year. We usually take the dog for a walk in the woods on the weekends, and there are mushrooms everywhere! Regular chanterelles, winter chanterelles, yellow foot... loads of them. Brought home five bags yesterday. Really good with game meat like moose or reindeer.

Then add half a kg of shaved reindeer meat, two fistfuls of winter chanterelles, six crushed juniper berries, a spoonful of dijon mustard, some salt and a touch of freshly ground black pepper. Add 300 ml of fresh cream and let it simmer till thick.

Serve with mashed potatoes topped with some melted butter and a sprinkle of truffle salt.

The wife made me roasted moose and wild mushroom in juniper when we were in sweden and it was damn good.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:25 am
Per wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:06 am It’s an unbelieavable mushroom year. We usually take the dog for a walk in the woods on the weekends, and there are mushrooms everywhere! Regular chanterelles, winter chanterelles, yellow foot... loads of them. Brought home five bags yesterday. Really good with game meat like moose or reindeer.

The wife made me roasted moose and wild mushroom in juniper when we were in sweden and it was damn good.
Yeah, juniper and wild mushrooms really bring out the flavour in game meat.

Oh, and I forgot, you typically serve this with lingonberries on the side! :)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Juniper and game is a classic, also good with beef or on a pork roast with rosemary. Add a bit of your favourite blue cheese to the cream. I like stilton.

Per, try cooking the mushrooms in a hot dry pan with plenty of salt to sweat them and concentrate their flavours before turning down the heat a little and adding fat and onions.

Cooking meat seasoned with what it ate is a very old method that works very well.

Reef, dry herbs are ok if you are cooking for some length of time. They have very limited shelf life, most little packages in peoples homes are well past that and nothing more than coloured dust. Dill is one of the few that retains similar flavour dry or fresh and has a reasonable shelf life. Where fresh herbs shine is in aroma. Put fresh chopped oregano or basil on a hot plate of pasta. Fresh cilantro on a hot plate of Asian or Latin food.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The old lady eats lingonsylt on everything. A trip to ikea means buying a dozen jars at a time as you cant get it here
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Topper wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:47 am No garden this year, and no one in the house likes marinara sauce. I do make a very basic tomato sauce in large batches, portion and freeze.
What is the diff b/w a marinara and a basic tomato sauce?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Just ordered a rotisserie kit for my Weber kettle... holy fuck 200 bucks!

Still...there really is nothing like using those with the charcoal to 'low and slow' roasted animal chunks. I have a collections of hardwood chips and chunks to use for the smoking, pecan is a favorite as well as hickory or mesquite.

For chook I like to brine the bird overnight in italian dressing of all things. It really helps I have to say.

Lately I've been into the jumbo prawns...i dust them lightly with garlic powder then brush generously with olive oil. They go direct over the coals and take less than 5 minutes total...unreal way to cook those. You dont even need to piss around with garlic butter this way.

This is my Q:

Heres how they do the roto:
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Nice setup. My current bbq is over 20 years old and had all parts replaced 3 times already. It no longer has a stand and the side burner is gone too. The lid handles fell off so I cut some short maple handles from a tree branch and lag bolted them on. It's close to needing a new burner so may get tossed soon.

When it does bite the dust I got a tiny gas grill I take for camping that will do for small family meals; think my next main bbq for parties have to be charcoal, but I'm still waiting on my buddy to cut a Tidy Tank in half and weld me up a bbq that I can do a large weaner on. Don't think it'll happen though ... you happy with the Weber?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:26 pm Nice setup. My current bbq is over 20 years old and had all parts replaced 3 times already. It no longer has a stand and the side burner is gone too. The lid handles fell off so I cut some short maple handles from a tree branch and lag bolted them on. It's close to needing a new burner so may get tossed soon.

When it does bite the dust I got a tiny gas grill I take for camping that will do for small family meals; think my next main bbq for parties have to be charcoal, but I'm still waiting on my buddy to cut a Tidy Tank in half and weld me up a bbq that I can do a large weaner on. Don't think it'll happen though ... you happy with the Weber?
I am very happy with it. It was expensive (600)but a guy could buy the one without the side table and frame for about 250 I think.

I gave my propane one away and haven't missed it once.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Nice, q is always last minute decision so I'm still cooking with gas, put a pan with chips on the burner for smoke.

If I were to got to coals, I'd probably get a egg style. The thermal control from +800F to -200F is the appeal.

Try minced fresh garlic and evo on the prawns. Should be less than 2 minutes a side.