Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by donlever »

Hmmm, do I go with Toppers plan or should I just run with dbr's?

:roll:

Cut and e-mailed to the wife Topper.

Thanks for the time and effort.

We shall do this verbatum.

I look forward to the meal.

Cheers.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So you do have hired help for this.

If I was talking to another cook, I would have explained it verbatim to what dbr said.

Let me know how it turns out.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote: Let me know how it turns out.
There's 8 people on the North Shore who think you're a goddamn culinary magician Topper.

I told them you were also a c**t but they didn't seem to care.

Thanks again.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:
There's 8 people on the North Shore who think you're a goddamn culinary magician Topper.

Thanks again.
I'm glad it worked out. I commend your wife on her execution. (there is a gash joke or two in there somewhere :D )

Curious, did she leave the skin on and did she manage to get it crispy? How did she handle the ginger maple glaze> Brule it?

Wine?

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

As far as the wine goes she went with your recommendations and served a Sauv and a Pinot.

I don't drink alchohol as you know and we needed the dual option so took the easy route.

The skin was not crispy nor was it glazed and I asked about this (not critically of course) and she said she was worried about the sugars overheating and did not want to burn anything as she was basically winging it from your recipe provided and did not want to fuck it up the first time around.

As you suggested she made the maple ginger glaze ahead of time (we have a local(ish) provider for some beauty Maple Syrup https://www.facebook.com/MaplesSugarShack) and the salmon was cooked with it and used as a sauce thereafter (dipped the zuchs in there myslef as I don't get much sweet stuff in my diet and it was really tasty).

She did not brule it this time but next time she claims she is going to try the two pan/brule option to see if we can get a crispy skin end result.

We picked up some grass fed unsalted butter at the farmers market Saturday morning and the rice was abso-fucking-lutely delectable.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Good choices with skin and sauce when doing a diner for eight with an untried recipe. As mentioned with the broiler idea, things could go very wrong in a hurry with the sweet glaze and juggling two pans while getting everything else to the plate could be a challenge.

That is how we cook rice our a regular basis. We'll sub something else for star anise, cardamon seeds are great as well, and will often just use butter for the wonderful nutty flavour.

A word on maple syrup. There is a present debate going on with the labelling as it is currently based on colour. That labelled No.1 is a light honey colour, No.2 is a more flavourful mahogany red colour. Unfortunately most consumers believe it is a quality designation with No.1 being better than No.2. i know there is a strong movement in the industry to change the designations to make the difference clearer to consumers.

If you are passing through the Cariboo, or sweet talk Blobby on his cabin runs, there is a Quebecquois at 70 Mile House bringing in maple syrup from Quebec. You can't miss his highway side store....cash only. He makes a good greasy Montreal smoked meat sandwich and poutine if you're feeling dirty.
Last edited by Topper on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:

Thanks again.
:D

Most good chefs are!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

The Maple Syrup is definetly mahogany and yes, we always go for the darker, far more flavourful bottles.

It ain't cheap but it is simply outstanding.

I'll often drizzle it on fresh fruit for a little added zing when everyon delse is wolfing down their desserts.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Arachnid wrote:
donlever wrote:

Thanks again.
:D

Most good chefs are!
Need a vongole recipe?

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

We eat a lot of chicken breast at home. It's cheap, easy, healthy, fast to cook and pretty tasty.

BUT, I'm getting pretty bored with my current chicken dishes.

Any chicken recipes you'd recommend for a mediocre cook, Topper?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Our standard go to meal at home is a whole roasted chicken, fresh tortillas (I'm married to the world's great tortilla maker), guacamole and salsa fresca.

Wife did a diner of that for the hens while I was in Spokane last weekend and the girls are still raving about it.

I trust your chicken tits are skin on, bone in because if they are boneless and skinless you may as well be drinking Coors light bought across the line.

Mix together some herbs, thyme, rosemary.... and rub them under the skin. Don't forget salt and pepper. Cumin and chicken is always a go. On the skin, more of what you put under it.

I cook them on a rack over a sheet pan in a 375F oven.

Mix up the seasonings you use. There is a brand of smoked paprika "La Chinita" (in a red tin, sweet or hot) that is widely available (Overwaitee, Save On....).

Salsa fresca is simple diced red onion, diced fresh tomato, chopped cilantro, a bit of mashed garlic and some lemon juice.

You can make queso fresca (fresh Mexican cheese) by heating homo milk to 180F in a pot while stirring and then add a couple of table spoons of vinegar (I like using lemon juice for the flavour), strain in cheese cloth and refrigerate.

Avoid store bought flour tortillas but if you get corn tortillas the best way to heat them is to slightly char them on a hot dry cast iron pan.

There isn't a lot of flavour in chicken tits so you really need something flavourful with them. Go with big bold flavours on roasted potatoes, rice or pasta. Over the top vegetable ragus or curries.

We switched to leg and thigh for the flavour if we're doing chicken parts.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Our standard go to meal at home is a whole roasted chicken, fresh tortillas (I'm married to the world's great tortilla maker), guacamole and salsa fresca.

Wife did a diner of that for the hens while I was in Spokane last weekend and the girls are still raving about it.

I trust your chicken tits are skin on, bone in because if they are boneless and skinless you may as well be drinking Coors light bought across the line.

Mix together some herbs, thyme, rosemary.... and rub them under the skin. Don't forget salt and pepper. Cumin and chicken is always a go. On the skin, more of what you put under it.

I cook them on a rack over a sheet pan in a 375F oven.

Mix up the seasonings you use. There is a brand of smoked paprika "La Chinita" (in a red tin, sweet or hot) that is widely available (Overwaitee, Save On....).

Salsa fresca is simple diced red onion, diced fresh tomato, chopped cilantro, a bit of mashed garlic and some lemon juice.

You can make queso fresca (fresh Mexican cheese) by heating homo milk to 180F in a pot while stirring and then add a couple of table spoons of vinegar (I like using lemon juice for the flavour), strain in cheese cloth and refrigerate.

Avoid store bought flour tortillas but if you get corn tortillas the best way to heat them is to slightly char them on a hot dry cast iron pan.

There isn't a lot of flavour in chicken tits so you really need something flavourful with them. Go with big bold flavours on roasted potatoes, rice or pasta. Over the top vegetable ragus or curries.

We switched to leg and thigh for the flavour if we're doing chicken parts.
HayZeus, you're a walking heart attack :shock: ...at least you never claimed to be the boards healthiest poster :lol:

The true test of a great cook is if you can make tofu taste good

:eh:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Arachnid wrote:The true test of a great cook is if you can make tofu taste good

Cook tofu the same way you cook sweetbreads.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:

Mmmmm vegetarian food...

____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:

I was only chjoking mate, I don' eat that crap. It's bad for you. Too much hormonal interruptions. If you do any soy it has to be Tempeh. You can do wonders with that. Stir fry is our default at the Web of joy. With fresh local garlic & ginger. Zing! :)