Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper »

I know I've said pork is appropriate for Mother's Day, but I switched things up this year.

Made fettuccine with lemon zest and thyme in the dough, marinated spot prawns in orange zest, tarragon and evo, used the orange juice and a more tarragon for a base for a butter sauce. Sauteed the prawns and combined it all with wilted greens, radicchio and tomato.

Watermelon and mint granita for desert.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
zephyr
AHL Prospect

Post by zephyr »

Smoking a small sized turkey this long weekend on the BBQ. Tips please.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

zephyr wrote:Smoking a small sized turkey this long weekend on the BBQ. Tips please.
Stuff it full of oatmeal...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Had some friends over for dinner last night and decided to make some pizzas...

Prosciutto with mozzarella, topped with fresh arugula and a drizzle of olive oil and reduced balsamic once it came out of the oven.

Italian sausage, mushrooms (crimini, shiitake, enoki), roasted garlic, with buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil.

Cubed watermelon salad with mint, cucumber, feta, and more of that reduced balsamic.

Cranked the oven upto 500C and baked them on a pizza stone, but I bet they would be great on the grill as well. Seeing as it was mid-week and I didn't have much time I cheated and bought fresh dough from Whole Foods. They make it in store and is the same dough they use for their pizzas. It was actually pretty decent, just take it out of the fridge for an hour or so to let it come to room temp before you roll it out.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Topper, it's zarr (wife and I, not you and I) anniversary this weekend. We're going to bbq lobster tails. Lay it out for me buds. Looking for a "not too elaborate" (as we'll be hitting the sauce) way to season and bbq lobster tails to perfection.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

KeyserSoze wrote:Cubed watermelon salad with mint, cucumber, feta, and more of that reduced balsamic.
Good stuff, my wife makes one just like that with olives.. great for this kind of weather.

I was downtown the other day and walked some food cart outside the art gallery that had a watermelon/mint/lychee salad on special, sounded promising but I didn't have time to stop.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dbr wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:Cubed watermelon salad with mint, cucumber, feta, and more of that reduced balsamic.
Good stuff, my wife makes one just like that with olives.. great for this kind of weather.

I was downtown the other day and walked some food cart outside the art gallery that had a watermelon/mint/lychee salad on special, sounded promising but I didn't have time to stop.
This has been a summer staple at Spidey's haus for several years now...

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/gril ... salad.aspx
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Cranked the oven upto 500C and baked them on a pizza stone, but I bet they would be great on the grill as well. Seeing as it was mid-week and I didn't have much time I cheated and bought fresh dough from Whole Foods. They make it in store and is the same dough they use for their pizzas. It was actually pretty decent, just take it out of the fridge for an hour or so to let it come to room temp before you roll it out.
I did a Papa Murphys take and bake on my Kamodo last weekend and I was shocked at how good it was.

Although everything I cook on that think seemed to taste way better so I guess it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

I will never buy another gas grill.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote:Topper, it's zarr (wife and I, not you and I) anniversary this weekend. We're going to bbq lobster tails. Lay it out for me buds. Looking for a "not too elaborate" (as we'll be hitting the sauce) way to season and bbq lobster tails to perfection.
Keep it simple. Split the tails in half by placing flat on a board and cutting lengthwise down them, salt, pepper, butter. On a very hot grill, flesh side first, flip to shell side, DO NOT OVER COOK.

Fresh tarragon might be nice.

Personally, I'd rather have dungeness crab than lobster.

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Topper wrote:
ODB wrote:Topper, it's zarr (wife and I, not you and I) anniversary this weekend. We're going to bbq lobster tails. Lay it out for me buds. Looking for a "not too elaborate" (as we'll be hitting the sauce) way to season and bbq lobster tails to perfection.
Keep it simple. Split the tails in half by placing flat on a board and cutting lengthwise down them, salt, pepper, butter. On a very hot grill, flesh side first, flip to shell side, DO NOT OVER COOK.

See, the wife loves crab but I friggen hate it. I find it messy and I hate digging out the little pieces of meat. I wonna fork full god damn it! We're doing beef tenderloin n lobster.

Here's another question... IYO is there a big difference between two tails for 80.00 bucks at the fish store and the two tails you can get at Costco for 25.00?

ETA: I would think, living in Saskamammyrammer, they've both been frozen at some point???
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote:
Topper wrote:

See, the wife loves crab but I friggen hate it. I find it messy and I hate digging out the little pieces of meat. I wonna fork full god damn it! We're doing beef tenderloin n lobster.

Here's another question... IYO is there a big difference between two tails for 80.00 bucks at the fish store and the two tails you can get at Costco for 25.00?

ETA: I would think, living in Saskamammyrammer, they've both been frozen at some point???
No idea. I do know I am impressed with the quality of beef I have bought at Costco, can't say that carries over to their seafood.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
No idea. I do know I am impressed with the quality of beef I have bought at Costco, can't say that carries over to their seafood.

AAA bone-in Rib steaks for 16 ish a Kilo.... Costco is just fantastic for meat, unless you are just one of those people who insists on playing triple for organic....
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper, doing a pork tenderloin on the BBQ. Recommendations?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Cooking a brisket today for the first time. Should be interesting...

I'm (more or less) following these directions: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Cornuck wrote:Cooking a brisket today for the first time. Should be interesting...
Nice.

I made some awesome pulled pork on the weekend...it's very easy and only requires a few steps as long as you have the time to roast it.

Create a rub (I used a Memphis Blues recipe that I found online) and rub it generously all over a piece of pork shoulder covering the entire surface. In a roasting pan I cooked it uncovered with the fat cap up in a 300F oven for 2.5 hours, and then covered it with foil and put it back in for an additional 2 hours. Once it's done I poured most of the drippings into a container and then shredded the meat (right in the roasting pan) with 2 forks, pouring a bit of the drippings back on as I saw fit.

Served it on brioche buns with a green apple slaw and a drizzle of BBQ sauce.

A watermelon salad is a perfect side dish for this.