Page 1 of 6

Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:22 pm
by Rayxor
the Conspiracy Theory thread had all the making of a good beer discussion but was horribly off topic. Lets do it proper-like here.

To address the idea that all North American beers are crap, this holds true for most of the popular mass produced household names that are affiliated with various sports. The microbrew/craft beers are not to be lumped in with them. In Canada, several Quebec breweries are producing good belgian styles that are worthy of the label. Many American breweries make some really fantastic stuff, but only a select number of them ship up to Canada.

I had a trip down to Oregon for work last year and took the opportunity to try several of the brews available down there. I came across a "British" pub in Hood river that served some Hair of the Dog beers. Had an Irish stew with a Hair of the Dog Fred. It was great to find that one as I had wanted to try some of their beers, but i can't find anyone in Canada that can bring it in. I miss you Fred. :(

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 pm
by rats19
Double Brown in New Zealand....mmmm mmmm good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Brown

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 pm
by Sick Bunny
A double-thumbs-up to the thread. :drink:
Rayxor wrote:To address the idea that all North American beers are crap, this holds true for most of the popular mass produced household names that are affiliated with various sports.
I may have brought up the idea, but I thought it was clear it was only meant as a stereotype, in counterpoint to the "Bavaria-swilling eurotrash" one. Like any other continent, North America is perfectly capable of producing quality beers. In fact, a local shop here in the Netherlands stocks these guys' produce: http://www.greatdivide.com, which is well and truly excellent.

North-west Europe is of course a heaven for beer lovers, mostly due to the proximity of Belgium. Try some monks for exclusivity. They'll sell you a crate at most, you need to book it in advance, and then go out and find the monastery yourself. Now that's my kind of Christians!

To continue the by-continent theme, if you're ever in Perth, Western Australia (and nevermind how you'd actually get there), go have some of this stuff down in Fremantle.

Asia: don't be adventurous in India. Play it safe and stick to Kingfisher.

Africa is hot, thus lager country. If you're down South, look for Windhoek from Namibia. Very basic stuff, but nice & fresh, and the brewery was built by the Germans. Hansa Marzen Gold and Jack Black are more interesting.

When in Russia, do as the Czechs, purveyors of the world's finest porn stars and pilsners. Who can resist a beer named after a goat?

South America: hmmm, somebody else is going to have to fill this one in...

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:09 pm
by sagebrush

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:14 pm
by Sick Bunny

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:27 pm
by Narg CC
Sick Bunny wrote:A double-thumbs-up to the thread. :drink: ..
:lol: YES. I'll be on my way to the liquor store in a couple hours. We'll see if I can find any of the stuff mentioned

Re: Spidey's Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:55 pm
by Arachnid
Why the, who the, what the...awww I wanted to started the hophead thread?! :cry: Sorry Narg 8-)

Oh welll, yeah so it can be a very regional thing, not only local micros not available but not all import/exports available in all regions either...

My two new favourites right now are non-traditional but oooooooh so good

Beau's Brews was started by a buncha ex punk banders from the big smoke that moved to the country and started an organic beer tree that employees all the old roadies, musicians, and family. it's incredible how fast they have grown and have gotten their kegs on tap and all the best beer bars but that has to do with their music connections.

http://www.beaus.ca/

The other is an interesting hopped beer that you west coasters might appreciate

http://spearheadbeer.com/index.php?id=2

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 pm
by BladesofSteel
Sick Bunny wrote:A double-thumbs-up to the thread. :drink:
Rayxor wrote:North-west Europe is of course a heaven for beer lovers, mostly due to the proximity of Belgium. Try some monks for exclusivity. They'll sell you a crate at most, you need to book it in advance, and then go out and find the monastery yourself. Now that's my kind of Christians!
I second the brews from BeNeLux. Some of the best beer I've ever forgotten about came from Brugge. Westmalle is one of the 'Trappist" brews I'd recommend the most. The Dubbel is a dark, yet refreshing beer around 7% alc iirc. But the Trippel is a light beer upwards of 9%.

My wonderful wife to be managed to track some down a few years back for my birthday. The BCL on 4th and Alma can order the Trippel if anyone dare taste. No preservatives mind you, so drink fast.

I even brought home two proper goblets with the Westmalle tag home from my travels.

Mmmmmmm, beeeeer. :D

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:19 am
by Sick Bunny
BOS wrote:I second the brews from BeNeLux. Some of the best beer I've ever forgotten about came from Brugge
As a resident of the "Ne" part, I'd strongly advise you to stick to the "Be" part... Dutch beer is just pasteurized water, according to the Belgians. Or, to put it another way:

Image

And yeah, Westmalle is good stuff.

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:43 pm
by LotusBlossom
Then the Belgians have a good idea of what good be is ;)

If ever in Halifax, I recommend Harrison Brewing

Quite of a fan of their Raspberry Wheat Ale and their Tall Ship Amber.

Brought home a couple of sampler packs. Hoping to see if BCLD would carry it, at least in their Signature stores.

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:22 pm
by Arachnid
BOS wrote:
Sick Bunny wrote:A double-thumbs-up to the thread. :drink:
Rayxor wrote:North-west Europe is of course a heaven for beer lovers, mostly due to the proximity of Belgium. Try some monks for exclusivity. They'll sell you a crate at most, you need to book it in advance, and then go out and find the monastery yourself. Now that's my kind of Christians!
I second the brews from BeNeLux. Some of the best beer I've ever forgotten about came from Brugge. Westmalle is one of the 'Trappist" brews I'd recommend the most. The Dubbel is a dark, yet refreshing beer around 7% alc iirc. But the Trippel is a light beer upwards of 9%.

My wonderful wife to be managed to track some down a few years back for my birthday. The BCL on 4th and Alma can order the Trippel if anyone dare taste. No preservatives mind you, so drink fast.

I even brought home two proper goblets with the Westmalle tag home from my travels.

Mmmmmmm, beeeeer. :D
*Ahem* ALL Belgian beers are awesome :twisted:

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:41 pm
by Topper
Arachnid wrote: *Ahem* ALL Belgian beers are awesome :twisted:
Yeah, like Stella :lol:

Trappist Ales should not even be considered beers. Clearly they are proof of higher beings.

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:35 pm
by Arachnid
Topper wrote:
Arachnid wrote: *Ahem* ALL Belgian beers are awesome :twisted:
Yeah, like Stella :lol:
I'd rather have a fella drink a Stella than Canadian Blue 8-)

Trappist Ales should not even be considered beers. Clearly they are proof of higher beings.
Indeed...those Monks go great lengths to relieve themselves :eh: ...and Lambics being the nectar of the Gods

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:40 pm
by Rayxor
BOS wrote:Re: Westmalle
My wonderful wife to be managed to track some down a few years back for my birthday. The BCL on 4th and Alma can order the Trippel if anyone dare taste. No preservatives mind you, so drink fast.

I even brought home two proper goblets with the Westmalle tag home from my travels.
Nice catch. The ones that will track down that stuff for you are the ones worth putting a ring on.

Ive had the Westmalle Tripel, and it was one of the best ones that i have come across. I really should write down what i think about it at the time because by the end of the night our group of tasters is in a hell of a jolly mood and we end up getting plenty sloshed. All I really remember about that Tripel was that i really really liked it. :lol:

I'm kinda waiting for another poster to share his experiences. He did a degree in Belgium (kudos for him on accomplishing that with all the temptations nearby) and he formed a tight bond with Orval while there.

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:25 am
by Arachnid
Rayxor wrote:
BOS wrote:Re: Westmalle
My wonderful wife to be managed to track some down a few years back for my birthday. The BCL on 4th and Alma can order the Trippel if anyone dare taste. No preservatives mind you, so drink fast.

I even brought home two proper goblets with the Westmalle tag home from my travels.
Nice catch. The ones that will track down that stuff for you are the ones worth putting a ring on.

Ive had the Westmalle Tripel, and it was one of the best ones that i have come across. I really should write down what i think about it at the time because by the end of the night our group of tasters is in a hell of a jolly mood and we end up getting plenty sloshed. All I really remember about that Tripel was that i really really liked it. :lol:

I'm kinda waiting for another poster to share his experiences. He did a degree in Belgium (kudos for him on accomplishing that with all the temptations nearby) and he formed a tight bond with Orval while there.
I find the Westmalle a little too malty......Rochefort 10 is a stronger beer, f'amazing with cheese