Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by Arachnid »

Rayxor wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Did anyone get a hold of the 'rare' Westvleteren 12?

I had some acquired from a friend that lined up at the LCBO for hours....maybe rare but not the best in the world....Westvleteren 10 is still a might good score :D
We have a periodic poster on this board who did some schooling in Belgium. Although he is a particular fan of Orval, He may have had some of the Westvleteren products right from the source. I'm surprised to hear that brew made it to Canada, although the lineup is a good indication of how often it happens.

As a small town Albertan, I can't expect to see that. However I was startled to see my ancestral hometown beer in a local store: Traquair House Ale. The world is getting smaller all the time.
Their monastery is falling apart so this was a one time deal, they marketed it around the world for beer whores like myself...$70 for a six pack which all in all wasn't to bad for the the monk masturbatory hop fermented sperm....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I split a case of Sam Adams Triple Bock 15 years ago. It aged nicely. Only cost me 90 for 12 back then. Fucking foodies (if you take another picture of your fucking food instead of eating it I will smash your face in your mashed sheshe potatoes :evil: )
Taking all the fun out of drinking. :drink:

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2 ... hours.html
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

OK, now that training camp has commenced it is time we all trained for the coming season. I am no longer bitter (heh, beer pun 'dere :D ) and taking out my Canuck frustrations on the weak, cowardly, puppetry of the faggotry (Edit: 'Hi Doc :P ) and hypocritical.....I dedicate this beauty to all my Canucklehead brothers and sisters ('Hi' OD.....just kidding... :mrgreen: )

OK here it is....

[img]http://bonbeer.files.wordpress.com/2012 ... de.jpg/img]

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/259/1708

...are you impressed yet? Hey I may be moving from Berlin to Belgium (very dangerous for a beeraholic such as myself) and SFU (from Victoria, I wish she would just make up her fucking mind :/ .....Coquitlam I'm coming back to you my first love :lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Arachnid wrote:I split a case of Sam Adams Triple Bock 15 years ago. It aged nicely. Only cost me 90 for 12 back then. Fucking foodies (if you take another picture of your fucking food instead of eating it I will smash your face in your mashed sheshe potatoes :evil: )
Taking all the fun out of drinking. :drink:

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2 ... hours.html
Do you like your Sam Adams shaken?

Or sterred?

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

A little post-halloween left over tonight...Boneshaker unfiltered IPA

Let's hope the team is unfiltered in the 2nd and Mëds gets his face slapped from his 'partner' for checking out plumbers cracks online :evil:

http://amsterdambeer.com/beers/boneshaker/
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

My beer doesn't age much past a week. You must be a bit of a tea granny to have beer sitting in your shack for 15 fucking years. It isn't wine for christ sakes. :roll: Furthermore what kind of dude splits a case of beer ? Were you in grade 8 at the time ? Lets go halfers on a case . :lol:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Art Vandelay wrote:My beer doesn't age much past a week. You must be a bit of a tea granny to have beer sitting in your shack for 15 fucking years. It isn't wine for christ sakes. :roll: Furthermore what kind of dude splits a case of beer ? Were you in grade 8 at the time ? Lets go halfers on a case . :lol:
Fack'n amateur :evil: :evil:

Get this first

http://www.amazon.com/NMR-24155-Periodi ... B008MHDENS

then get your drunk on and then we'll talk...
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Can anyone explain why Bowen Island beer is approximately $10 less for a 12 pack sampler?

I'm in AB and the typical sampler pack from a variety of craft breweries is running from about $20-$28 (Granville Island, Tree, Fernie, Big Rock, Yukon, Alley Kat etc.) at the Real Canadian Liquor Store while Bowen Island's sampler is $10.99 (for 4) or $11.99 for a single. The sampler consists of an IPA, Irish cream ale, basic Lager and a Pale Ale.

Its craft beer at crap beer prices and I am puzzled by this. Is this some freak accident?

BTW, Don't bother telling me that I can do better than Bowen Island. It was just the price that drew me and its good to have on hand over the holidays.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

because they'd have to pay me to drink it
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah Bowen Island is alright under a lot of circumstances (unwanted house guests, chilled to the point where you can barely taste it, in another drink) but drink one that's cool rather than cold.. or drink three or four in an afternoon.. and you can taste why it's so cheap IMO.

Still I'll happily drink some of their brews over say, Molson Canadian or Bud or Pacific Pilsner or whatever the hell at the same price point.

Not the honey brown though.. I bought a flat of that stuff some years ago and forgot it in the potting shed at the vacation place for a few weeks.. one taste and I'll never drink that stuff again.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

dbr,

I'd love to get drunk with you homie. :mex: :drink:
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

dbr wrote:Yeah Bowen Island is alright under a lot of circumstances (unwanted house guests, chilled to the point where you can barely taste it, in another drink) but drink one that's cool rather than cold.. or drink three or four in an afternoon.. and you can taste why it's so cheap IMO.
If that were the case, the Rickards variety pack would only cost you the deposit price.

Looking at the website, they have done some brand changes. the Lager, Extra Pale Ale and Cream Ale are now Deep 6 lager, Twisted Trail PA, and Sun Chaser cream ale respectively. Looks like they are just moving out old brand stock.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Rayxor wrote:Can anyone explain why Bowen Island beer is approximately $10 less for a 12 pack sampler?
Because it tastes like ass.

Maybe you and poster Arachnid can split a case and get pissed together.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

dbr wrote:Yeah Bowen Island is alright under a lot of circumstances (unwanted house guests, chilled to the point where you can barely taste it, in another drink)
I buy it sometimes when cooking ribs or a chicken...but that just about all it's good for