Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Beer: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by KeyserSoze »

Rayxor wrote: Many American breweries make some really fantastic stuff, but only a select number of them ship up to Canada.
Sam Adams is a pretty good American beer...you can buy their Boston Lager in Canada.

I had some of their Summer Ale last weekend while at a friends cabin in the states...good stuff.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Slim pickings around here. This is the epicenter of Busch Light, but I am doing my best to educate the locals. When we first arrived, the top beer in town was Michelob Ultra. :oops:

Most of my beer of choice these days comes from the New Belgium Brewery. It's a wind powered, employee owner brewery in Fort Collins Colorado.

Fat Tire is my every day drinking beer. A nice tasting ale. A heavier favourite is '1554'. It's a dark ale that really hits the spot - great with steaks! From there, I'll try most of their other beer that I can find locally. The Ranger IPA is great (in moderation).

I also like pretty much anything that Unibroue puts out - I'll grab a bottle or two when I see it.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

KeyserSoze wrote: Sam Adams is a pretty good American beer...you can buy their Boston Lager in Canada.

I had some of their Summer Ale last weekend while at a friends cabin in the states...good stuff.
My neighborhood beer store carries the Boston Lager. I have that as my everyday lager that i can offer to others regardless of their tastes.

My mother-in-law's husband was raving about his acquisition of Milwaukee's Best Light from across the border for 50 cents/can. I had some but had to turn down subsequent offers. He said you can't pass up a deal like that. Well, maybe HE can't....
It slots in #13 on the ratebeer "worst beers in the world" list. I figured it would have been lower.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Rayxor wrote: It slots in #13 on the ratebeer "worst beers in the world" list. I figured it would have been lower.
Once you get that far down on the list, it's all pretty much the same...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Rayxor wrote: Many American breweries make some really fantastic stuff, but only a select number of them ship up to Canada.
Sam Adams is a pretty good American beer...you can buy their Boston Lager in Canada.

It's OK, I like when the go extremist like in 1997 I bought a case of their 17.5% Triple Bock then opened some every year for Christmas... haven't tried their new Infinium yet...

I still think, for consistency sake Oregon's Rogue brewery is the best American Brewery. Bold, constant and experimental...it'sa hot summer but I feel I need to IPA Yellow Snow.... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I don't stick with any one brand. I like to try everything. I really like some of the micro brewery stuff. I also like a lot of the foreign beers. For main stream beers, I like Blue Moon in the USA. Here, I like Sleeman's Honey Brown.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

BCExpat wrote:I don't stick with any one brand. I like to try everything. I really like some of the micro brewery stuff. I also like a lot of the foreign beers. For main stream beers, I like Blue Moon in the USA. Here, I like Sleeman's Honey Brown.
I recently found out that Blue Moon is the same stuff as Rickards White, which shocked the hell outta me. I had Blue moon down in Palm Springs and i really enjoyed it. I tried Rickards white at a country bar in my town since it seemed the better pick over coors light and the rest of the usual suspects. Didnt care for it much at all, although it might be a slow seller for a country bar and the stuff was a few months old.

It could be what i call the "Kokanee effect". I discovered that the kokanee i drank on the mountain while skiing with friends at Fernie was something wonderful, but once i was able to by it outside of Fernie, it was pretty much the same as everything else. It was the setting and my great thirst which made it so good. Palm springs on a winter vacation vs. a small town country/pop bar will certainly do the same. I recently experienced the same thing with Red Stripe after returning from a vacy in Jamaica
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have a collection of Fuller Anniversary Ales going back to 2005 and a three year back collection of Tree Double Hop Head.

Red Stripe - uhhhg, when i lived there I drank hot (shelf temp, Jamaican shelf temp) Dragon Stout. Heavy caramel.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Arachnid wrote:I still think, for consistency sake Oregon's Rogue brewery is the best American Brewery. Bold, constant and experimental...it'sa hot summer but I feel I need to IPA Yellow Snow.... 8-)
I don't drink too many American brews but Rogue's are among the top notch of the ones I've had. Dead Guy Ale is always a good choice.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I still remember the look the beer store cashier gave us when we bought Dead Guy on a Good Friday and told her it was the only beer we could drink that day.

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I take it that on the third day of your resulting hangover, only a Unibroue Don de Dieu could resurrect you?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Rolled away the stone.

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Rayxor wrote:
BCExpat wrote:I don't stick with any one brand. I like to try everything. I really like some of the micro brewery stuff. I also like a lot of the foreign beers. For main stream beers, I like Blue Moon in the USA. Here, I like Sleeman's Honey Brown.
I recently found out that Blue Moon is the same stuff as Rickards White, which shocked the hell outta me. I had Blue moon down in Palm Springs and i really enjoyed it. I tried Rickards white at a country bar in my town since it seemed the better pick over coors light and the rest of the usual suspects. Didnt care for it much at all, although it might be a slow seller for a country bar and the stuff was a few months old.

It could be what i call the "Kokanee effect". I discovered that the kokanee i drank on the mountain while skiing with friends at Fernie was something wonderful, but once i was able to by it outside of Fernie, it was pretty much the same as everything else. It was the setting and my great thirst which made it so good. Palm springs on a winter vacation vs. a small town country/pop bar will certainly do the same. I recently experienced the same thing with Red Stripe after returning from a vacy in Jamaica

Blue Moon is better than Rickards White - they are both Belgium Wheat Ales, but that about where the similarity ends. I enjoy Blue Moon with a slice of orange. :drink:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

BCExpat wrote: Blue Moon is better than Rickards White - they are both Belgium Wheat Ales, but that about where the similarity ends. I enjoy Blue Moon with a slice of orange. :drink:
I would agree with you since ive only had Rickards White on that one occasion and it wasnt too good, but you can do a search and find out for yourself.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/blue-moon- ... -ale/2228/

"Editor’s Note: Much of this beer’s production now comes from the Molson brewery in Toronto. A small portion of Denver draught production comes from the SandLot brewery. Still other product may continue to hail from Golden. 7/19/08."

Rickards is a Molson brand so you can put 2 and 2 together here.

Other sites state flat out that they are the same product but from my experience they were quite different.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Try McAuslan's St Ambriose Apricot Wheat Beer