Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by Topper »

Any idea on how many cords of wood to add to the equation?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Two per year but the last residents would have the fire going in the middle of a day like today for example, where the sun has warmed the place up pretty nicely.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

~17 million BTU's per cord
1 BTU = 1,055.06 Joules
17,000,000BTU's = 17,936,020,000 Joules

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hmm.. rough figures would put them at about 100 GJ of energy for two years, less whatever escaped through the chimney.

Thanks Topper.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

DBR, switching from fire to a HP is easy but there is not calculation I can give you unless I know the measurements and layout of your floorplan.

If you are considering a heat pump/air handler combo you want to think about the runs to each room/living space. First can you actually run and forced air pipe to a floor grille? If this is possible the way I calculate it is...

Bedrooms get at least one (sometimes more) 6" run (110 cfm) [sometimes two 5" runs if a large master(160cfm)]
Living/family room at least two 6" runs (220cfm)
Bathrooms are usually a 5", sometimes a 4" run so they can be 60-80cfm a pc.
Kitchen 5"
Crawl 4" X 2 at minimum (if enclosed and vapor barriered)

You add up what you need before you purchase a unit.

6" runs - 110 CFM
5" runs - 80CFM
4" runs - 60CFM

Now, these are *rough* estimates as the design of systems change, and the install can been done well or.....like a hack and in that case you can probably drop 30-40 CFM off each run.

Add up your runs and figure out what your tonnage is. If an air handler aint an option (no attic, no crawl) than go the route I went and get a ductless split. Weird name for it I know, but I posted the pics previously. The past few I have installed the homeowners have complained (like the wifey) that there was something new on the wall. It's ok, after a day or two its just like the new crown molding and everyone eithee gravitates to it or forgets about it.

EDIT: If you are serious about an air handler I would suggest bringing someone out to your place to do a load calc by a reputable company no-less. Then you can know where you stand.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

DBR, forgot to mention you need a tonne of air per 750sq ft of livable space.

So, dont include closets, garages etc.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mother fucker...... removing old mortar from concrete has replace removing linoleum from a sub floor as the shittiest thing ever to do at home. A 4 x 8 landing at the bottom of my stairs leading into my rec room was a bitch of a job to do. 4 hours yesterday between breaking the old tile and chipping the mortar and clean up and another hour today. Fucking mess and shitty work for 32 square feet considering it will only take me an hour to tile it and an hour for grout and clean up.

I am not looking forward to re-tiling my solarium and kitchen .......480 sq feet. :( I'll need to light up my pool shed (and pay someone) cuz Blobby's back can't handle this nor can his liver or brain cells. I wolfed back a 15 pack and huffed three dubes to make it through this job.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

So it begins, the basement gut happened today, finished tomorrow and then on with the fun stuff. Upgrade to 200amp, all new wiring, digging up the basement drains, sump pit/pump and re-routing a drain for a new laundry room. Have to move the stack to as the bathroom is being expanded for a proper shower. New media area and furnace (electric boiler as I have rads) too.

So far no issues with the foundation but there has got to be a surprise coming some time. I'll post photos later and as it goes on.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Good luck VPete, should be good times.

I'm starting my new business out here in South Surrey, reno's to start and then ultimately new construction. I've got a formidable list of sub-trades I have accumulated over the years, but still lack a decent electrician.

If anyone knows a ticketed sparky, feel free to pass 'em along.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Sparkies are crazy flakes. I thought it would be the plumber and drywaller/framers but no it's the sparkies. Been through three of them and finally found a good one or my contractor did. It's early though, everyone loves ripping down stuff it's the building that's where all the challenge comes in.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Vpete wrote:So it begins, the basement gut happened today, finished tomorrow and then on with the fun stuff. Upgrade to 200amp, all new wiring, digging up the basement drains, sump pit/pump and re-routing a drain for a new laundry room. Have to move the stack to as the bathroom is being expanded for a proper shower. New media area and furnace (electric boiler as I have rads) too.

So far no issues with the foundation but there has got to be a surprise coming some time. I'll post photos later and as it goes on.
Knock'em dead Peter!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Here are the photos after the gut:

House was built in 1930 and the concrete is in pretty good shape with only one crack of significance. Lots of old wiring which is all getting yanked and a new furnace too. Moving the stack and digging a new trench for kitchen and laundry drainage to the stack.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Asbestos sticky tiles on the concrete I take it? Good times. I assume there is also asbestos tape on the ducting down there. Be careful with that when you replace the furnace.

How high is the ceiling? 7'?

So far so good pete.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Taking a break from painting right now. I've been busy working on the walls in one of our (former) classrooms.

They had taken down the blackboards and put up white boards. Pulled those off to reveal rough plaster and 1x2's at the top and bottom of former blackboards. 2 buckets of mud later and the walls were finally smooth enough to paint. Existing walls have line green with Pollock-like paint splatter over them. 14 foot high ceilings. On my 4th coat. :(

Still need to deal with the paint peeling off of the tin ceiling, and might sand the floor. :crazy:

When this building was a school, they painted every room, every summer.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Vpete, it looks like MrC's old digs.