Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Any drywallers on this board ? Anyone know anything about the trade ?

At my cabin I have five rooms to do and a short hallway. Rooms are 11 x 11, 12 x 9, 9 x 14, 9 x 11 and 10 x 10. The board is hung just need it mudded, taped and sanded. I am banking on $1000 for the whole shot, but it could go higher. These guys are working out of the 100 Mile area so I would think they are at a bit different pricepoint than drywallers here on the coast.

I have no desire to tackle this project whatsoever as it is a shitty job and you really don't want to fuck it up trying to cut corners. I will save money doing my own flooring, painting and siding as well as building the deck with a buddy.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

100 Mile, Whalley of the Cariboo, you'll be fine.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Looks like this summer will bring us a new master bathroom and a new deck, plus a few other small things.

Bathroom being forced on us. We had massive problems with this house, replaced all the plumbing refinished the basement. Now there is a leak under the bathtub. Found out about 6 months ago that the tub was never sealed in. Dealt with that. Now the problem is worse. Go figure. I'd like to string the builders and previous owners who renovated here up in the front yard next to a for sale sign. Yeah....I know that doesn't make much sense.

But anyhow, since there was work to be done we figured may as well do it right and get done as much as we can this spring/summer. First kid will be showing up in November, don't want to be doing reno's then.

So it's a new bathroom. One that takes out a wall, eliminates a useless closet space and makes the bathroom 32 square feet bigger. Total gut job.

Then there are a couple of windows to replace upstairs in the kid's room.

The deck has needed new planks for a year. Probably going to go plywood with a weather proof, self-leveling surface. Also getting rid of the sliding patio door. Putting in garden doors.

That will likely run around $15K according to the guy who gave me the quote. He said start at $8K for the bathroom and plan for it to be elastic. With the deck, door, and the windows, add another $3K. So we're budgeting $15K.

Also have a fence line to redo. Fortunately the neighbor is taking care of that. Talked to him today. All we'll have to do is split the cost of materials. Told him I'd help if I was in town when he starts.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Any drywallers on this board ? Anyone know anything about the trade ?

At my cabin I have five rooms to do and a short hallway. Rooms are 11 x 11, 12 x 9, 9 x 14, 9 x 11 and 10 x 10. The board is hung just need it mudded, taped and sanded. I am banking on $1000 for the whole shot, but it could go higher. These guys are working out of the 100 Mile area so I would think they are at a bit different pricepoint than drywallers here on the coast.

I have no desire to tackle this project whatsoever as it is a shitty job and you really don't want to fuck it up trying to cut corners. I will save money doing my own flooring, painting and siding as well as building the deck with a buddy.
If you want cheap Taper's and Mudders, go brown guy who can barely speak english or Surrey crackhead whitey if you don't want to spend the big bucks. The quality will be shite, though.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

RoyalDude wrote:or Surrey crackhead whitey if you don't want to spend the big bucks. The quality will be shite, though.
So you're available then? And not to worry, shitty quality is to be expected...
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

My fault for expecting someone might come up with a decent response.....like say .50 a sq foot or something. The hockey forum has gone to hell , may as well drag this one down with it.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:My fault for expecting someone might come up with a decent response.....like say .50 a sq foot or something. The hockey forum has gone to hell , may as well drag this one down with it.

Just saw your post Blob.

50 cents a square (wall space) isn't far off.

And don't do it yourself you will will just end up fucking around with it all summer. Taping is one of those things that you should never bother with in any quantity. Takes like 10X as long for the do it yourselfer.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Thanks Pot......I have been a bit of a dick lately. The old man is dinged with throat and esophigial cancer. By this time next year my kids will be down to one grandparent and my mom got her tits chopped off due to breast cancer, so her outlook is cloudy at best. Life sucks sometimes.... no need to be a dick here but reading so much of the garbage on the main board when it used to be good is a bit frustrating.

As I said and you said stay off the drywall finishing as it is tough stuff and for the amount you pay it is well worth it to let the people in the trade do it. For 1000 - 1500 it should get done. No need to sweat over a few hundred bucks, was mostly tring to pick peoples brains.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Sorry to hear that Blobby Brown (cuz you like slapping bitches... :o ).

I lost my father to cancer and it is a fucking cunt and a half... all the best.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Rumsfeld wrote:Sorry to hear that Blobby Brown (cuz you like slapping bitches... :o ).

I lost my father to cancer and it is a fucking cunt and a half... all the best.
Both my parents to cancer and my father in law and now I am in Japan looking after my mother in law who has breast cancer. My wife will be a platinum air points person for both JAL and AC by the end of the year going back and forth.

I bet they have a cure but they make too much money on cancer research and drugs.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Jesus fucking christ Blobby, just because your family is rotting away, keep it together. Look on the bright side, your mother can now stand closer to the sink.

And hey, I gave you sound advice on the quality of workers you can expect in that area. So fuck you.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aww man, I have only lost one to the big C but if I ever got it I'd wanna go down in a blaze of glory, maybe take Abbortionsfield with me 8-)

Medicinal pot anyone? :eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote:Jesus fucking christ Blobby, just because your family is rotting away, keep it together. Look on the bright side, your mother can now stand closer to the sink.

And hey, I gave you sound advice on the quality of workers you can expect in that area. So fuck you.
:lol: actually she got plastic tits Topps.

So nobody can get decent drywalling in the 100 Mile area ??? BTW I agree that the town of 100 Mile is a bit of a dump. We usually load up for bear in Loops on the way up with food and booze just to avoid going into town or to the Interlakes store.

We have a good plumber lined up, already have a good general contracter, a good excavotor dude and a good sparky so I would assume there are some decent mudders/tapers up there.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'd ask ask around the local coffee shops, not in 100 Mile, but closer to your cabin. There is probably a local old hippie who is a master at this stuff.

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yo Blob, sorry about your Dad, I lost mine to Leukemia 4 years ago. Spent 6 months of every day visits and long evenings at Lions Gate in Pallative Care watching him rot to a 90 lb skeleton. I know full well what it's like to watch someone close to you suffer this way.

As you know I'm in the home building business and like Pot says, Mudding, Taping, Sanding is an acquired art form, takes years to master. Don't be a DIY'er on a big Drywall Finishing project, it's hell if you don't know what you are doing, proper mixing, proper feathering out thin coats of mud, drying process. Rookies love to cake that shit on and sanding, knowing how much to sand and how little. Small patch up jobs are fine, I usually do those myself. Priming and Finish Coat painting will not hide the shite job on the DW finish.

I imagine the prices up there are nowhere near what I deal with in Vancouver.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau