Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by CFP! »

Right on Pete! Looks good.....what happened with pics on the most important piece of the mechanical??? the......HVAC?

I just ripped out my oil furnace and tank and replaced it and re did all the duct work. (my trade)
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

CFP! wrote:Right on Pete! Looks good.....what happened with pics on the most important piece of the mechanical??? the......HVAC?

I just ripped out my oil furnace and tank and replaced it and re did all the duct work. (my trade)
That is the HVAC! An electric boiler for my rads- mounts on a wall and is 100% efficient. I'll go in and do more photos a bit later. Show the nuts and bolts of it all.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I don't see any 500 w lights or fans in that basement.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I don't see any 500 w lights or fans in that basement.
Those are in the cave underneath- double heat protection.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Wondering if I should post in this thread or not, but think I'll give it a try. Be nice to me, I'm an off-topic virgin. :D

I live in Metro Vancouver and I've detected some moisture problems in my attic. Can anyone recommend a good company that specializes in... I guess ventilation/roof repair?

I'm not an absolute idiot when it comes to home construction/maintenance, but this is a bit above my head, and not something I've dealt with before.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

BurningBeard wrote: I'm not an absolute idiot when it comes to home construction/maintenance, but this is a bit above my head, and not something I've dealt with before.
Well Duh... it's the attic... :thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

ODB wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: I'm not an absolute idiot when it comes to home construction/maintenance, but this is a bit above my head, and not something I've dealt with before.
I'm glad the pun wasn't lost on you. :P
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BurningBeard wrote:I've detected some moisture problems in my attic.
Moisture problems. Um, yeah, the million dollar question. Ask Shell Bussey.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote:
and I was trying so hard not to post that........
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote: I've detected some moisture problems in my attic.
Hydrocephalus springs to mind. :mrgreen:

Welcome to Creeper's Bar & Grill! :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:I've detected some moisture problems in my attic.
Moisture problems. Um, yeah, the million dollar question. Ask Shell Bussey.
That old fart? Is he related to you?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Strangelove wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: I've detected some moisture problems in my attic.
Hydrocephalus springs to mind. :mrgreen:

Welcome to Creeper's Bar & Grill! :drink:
I've heard that can also be cause by Oxycontin. :roll:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Any drywallers on this board ? Anyone know anything about the trade ?

At my cabin I have five rooms to do and a short hallway. Rooms are 11 x 11, 12 x 9, 9 x 14, 9 x 11 and 10 x 10. The board is hung just need it mudded, taped and sanded. I am banking on $1000 for the whole shot, but it could go higher. These guys are working out of the 100 Mile area so I would think they are at a bit different pricepoint than drywallers here on the coast.

I have no desire to tackle this project whatsoever as it is a shitty job and you really don't want to fuck it up trying to cut corners. I will save money doing my own flooring, painting and siding as well as building the deck with a buddy.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

100 Mile, Whalley of the Cariboo, you'll be fine.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Looks like this summer will bring us a new master bathroom and a new deck, plus a few other small things.

Bathroom being forced on us. We had massive problems with this house, replaced all the plumbing refinished the basement. Now there is a leak under the bathtub. Found out about 6 months ago that the tub was never sealed in. Dealt with that. Now the problem is worse. Go figure. I'd like to string the builders and previous owners who renovated here up in the front yard next to a for sale sign. Yeah....I know that doesn't make much sense.

But anyhow, since there was work to be done we figured may as well do it right and get done as much as we can this spring/summer. First kid will be showing up in November, don't want to be doing reno's then.

So it's a new bathroom. One that takes out a wall, eliminates a useless closet space and makes the bathroom 32 square feet bigger. Total gut job.

Then there are a couple of windows to replace upstairs in the kid's room.

The deck has needed new planks for a year. Probably going to go plywood with a weather proof, self-leveling surface. Also getting rid of the sliding patio door. Putting in garden doors.

That will likely run around $15K according to the guy who gave me the quote. He said start at $8K for the bathroom and plan for it to be elastic. With the deck, door, and the windows, add another $3K. So we're budgeting $15K.

Also have a fence line to redo. Fortunately the neighbor is taking care of that. Talked to him today. All we'll have to do is split the cost of materials. Told him I'd help if I was in town when he starts.