Home Construction Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Home Construction Discussion

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I might have to move out to poco with blobby with this new gigantic construction of the new evergreen line!

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/01/skyt ... ly-photos/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

How much money can a guy save by removing the old shingles from your roof ? Roofers tend to be asswipes so I'm curious how much extra they would charge to remove the old product before putting the new shingles on.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:How much money can a guy save by removing the old shingles from your roof ? Roofers tend to be asswipes so I'm curious how much extra they would charge to remove the old product before putting the new shingles on.
The prices for disposal just recently sky-rocketed.
If you can do it yourself and find a place to dump, you win, big time...
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I've heard they kill leeches when dumped in a lake
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I need to replace my carpet and going with laminate flooring in area. About 600 sqft of space.

I'm a cheap sob so do I go with 12mm or 8mm.

I have someone installing for me but I need to remove the old carpet and level the flooring.

Any recommendations other than real hardwood?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote:I need to replace my carpet and going with laminate flooring in area. About 600 sqft of space.

I have someone installing for me but I need to remove the old carpet and level the flooring.

Lots of nice product in the 12 mm laminate and even a moron could snap it in. If you are going real hardwood leave it to the pros Reef. Taking carpet out and prepping the floor is fuck all and will save you a few bucks.

Level the flooring ? Is it a basement? Were you growing weed down there ? They have self levelling compound st Home Depot
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote:I need to replace my carpet and going with laminate flooring in area. About 600 sqft of space.

Engineered hardwood! You're in Langley right?

Head to King of Floors (hell you can check it out online if you'd like) and find some end of the roll pallet stuff. You should be able to get some for under $4 per sqft. Less than $2 sqft for 12mm lami if you really want that.

*i know KoF isn't in Langley but it's pretty close. #10 Hwy and 152ish.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

Lots of nice product in the 12 mm laminate and even a moron could snap it in. If you are going real hardwood leave it to the pros Reef. Taking carpet out and prepping the floor is fuck all and will save you a few bucks.

Level the flooring ? Is it a basement? Were you growing weed down there ? They have self levelling compound st Home Depot
I would do it myself except 50 is looking me in the eyes and saying " son if you do this your back and knees will make you pay" plus my wife will be all over me if I don't finish it quickly.

Went to KoF saw some good deals for 12mm but can I confirm 8mm is not good right?

For levelling I am on plywood but I don't need to really level just make sure the floor is clean and no nails are up.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:How much money can a guy save by removing the old shingles from your roof ? Roofers tend to be asswipes so I'm curious how much extra they would charge to remove the old product before putting the new shingles on.
Nephew did his roof, found out the previous owners never removed the old before re roofing, twice. The disposal fee was horrendous.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

We did the roof over our garage a couple of weekends ago - we recycled metal from a building in town that had theirs replaced and put it right over the old shingles. Quick, easy 8 hours for two people.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Cornuck wrote:We did the roof over our garage a couple of weekends ago - we recycled metal from a building in town that had theirs replaced and put it right over the old shingles. Quick, easy 8 hours for two people.
I am looking at a roof with asbestos. We are going to pay our ass off.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fuckin hell, call in a 25 or 30 yard bin get them to drop it as close to the house as possible and hire your nephews paying them cash and get rid of the shit. Takes a day to tear off. Your bin full of shingles will cost you about $500 - $800 depending the weight. Don't be a fucking Surrey hack Scheister and shingle over old shingles to save a few pennies. While your at it replace your rotten fascia and gutters. Gutters are cheap and it's the best time to replace fascia when re-roofing

If you got that old shit 1x10 ship lap on your trusses you should go over with 1/2" ply. Some like to use 3/8's to save a few pennies. But if you are using a legit roofer he won't warranty the roofing if he's nailingi straight down on to ship lap. With asphalt shingles you only have a small nailing area on the shingle and a lot of those nails will end up in the butt joint gaps of that shit ship lap, the tongue and groove part, causing your shingles to lift and leading to leaks

You'll need around 50 sheets of ply, get em delivered, try to land them on a good beating point of your peeled off roof, build a level table if you know what your doing so you don't have to go up and down the ladder hauling up 4x8 sheets of ply
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I don't have your mafia money. It isn't ship lap its plywood. The roof was done in 2000. I don't intend on going right over the top of the old shingles. The gutters are in decent shape. The work won't be done until spring , but I was curious what kind of $ I could save by ripping off the old shingles and getting rid of them. I guess I will find out more when I get a few quotes from some decent roofing companies. Fuck is that an oxymoron or what ?!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Dude save yourself the money and demo the roof yourself, it's easy shit. Don't pay someone else to do it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau