what would you do?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: what would you do?

Post by Carlyee »

If he makes you money then follow the advice above.

A few points though.

1. How did he get the impression that you wanted/needed the product? Ties in to the whole "there are no bad soldiers just bad generals" idea that so many useless employees subscribe to.

2. It is your business, if you are going to delegate tasks make darn sure the person you choose can carry their share of the water.

3. Regarding him not understanding why his mistake is a mistake, well that is the nature of employees. They come to work, work 9-5 and go home. They do not know or care about the overhead, sleepless nights, and unlimited OT business owners put in on a daily basis. That is probably why it is no big deal to him.

If the hit you are going to take is significant. Revoke his purchasing privileges. Or have AP call you with all invoices over $X. Use the product in some lame promotional way (if it is possible) Build some control into your system and learn from this. Every adversity is an opportunity to improve.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

CFP! wrote:I dont own a business and am not in your shoes man, but ultimately it's your responsibilty to make sure he is trained correctly and can earn his keep. So to speak, no idea what business your in.
You're a union member somewhere aren't ya? :P
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Vpete wrote:I have an employee who made a major purchasing mistake.

I'm in for $15k of product I don't need.

Any thoughts?
Is he Flames or Maple Leaf fan?
2011..... the one that got away.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Vpete wrote:I have an employee who made a major purchasing mistake.

I'm in for $15k of product I don't need.

Any thoughts?
Is he Flames or Maple Leaf fan?
Or either teams GM...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

How many units were mistakenly ordered?
If it was say... 15 units @ $1000 each... it might be worth coming up with a strategy to sell them, even if it's outside of your usual scope of business... the guy can prove his salt to you in a big way if he sells it...

On the other hand, if it's 1000 $15 units... I'd take the same approach, but take him to the New Balance store first... buy him the nicest, custom fit sneakers money can buy, and tell him to hit the pavement... door to door until the product is sold. :twisted:

Really though... previous posters have it nailed.... show him that you understand that mistakes happen... give him a chance to make lemonade out of the 15k worth of lemons that he dropped in your lap, and if he can't... or refuses to acknowledge ANY responsibility... then you gotta consider letting him go.

Any which way you go... make sure (providing you have properly trained him on what to order) that you write him up for this mistake.... even if it's just "procedure"... it may come in handy down the road.