Ahh Summer Nights

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Ahh Summer Nights

Post by Cornuck »

You want to be careful where you buy in Vegas. That town's been going downhill since I moved.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:You want to be careful where you buy in Vegas. That town's been going downhill since I moved.
When I vacation in LA this summer, my cousin ended up buying two houses out Vegas way within the last year. He also has property in Big Bear and in Sedona, AZ. But he said a place to buy was Vegas. I haven't done much research yet, but as I was mentioning to Blob, my husband and I are looking for some vacation property in the not too distant future and Vegas has come up from time to time. We're looking within the next 18 months, so we're not in a big rush, but it would be nice to get some ideas. I'll probably have a better idea when I head down that way for a family reunion.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
JNF
CC Rookie

Post by JNF »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Cornuck wrote:You want to be careful where you buy in Vegas. That town's been going downhill since I moved.
When I vacation in LA this summer, my cousin ended up buying two houses out Vegas way within the last year. He also has property in Big Bear and in Sedona, AZ. But he said a place to buy was Vegas. I haven't done much research yet, but as I was mentioning to Blob, my husband and I are looking for some vacation property in the not too distant future and Vegas has come up from time to time. We're looking within the next 18 months, so we're not in a big rush, but it would be nice to get some ideas. I'll probably have a better idea when I head down that way for a family reunion.
Just got back from 3 weeks vacation. Spent 1 week in Vegas, 1 week in LA, and the rest in San Diego. My god it"s so fucking hot down south just don't go there. Sunscreen major cuz I' m a redhead. For what I spent the kids are all over Australia next year. Its winter over then yes. We are heading over but blind. Anyone been there, where to go. The kids are so excited about going to Australia I need help.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Will be road-tripping with my friend across the country. Unfortunately she didn't get her passport and can't cut through the US as we first planned. We'll end up in Hamilton where she's moving to, but will be starting off here in Vancouver. It's been 15 years since I did the Great Canadian Road Trip, so this shall be interesting.

We're driving in her 2009 Civic, so the gas mileage will be good but it's not exactly the most roomy car on the market...again, should be interesting. We leave in the AM tomorrow, first stop...Calgary...after that, we're planning to really hit the road hard and do our first stop in Kenora, ON and Sault St. Marie until we hit Hamilton the final day. Hitting the Terry Fox memorial though Thunder Bay for a short break though.

Just curious if anyone else has done this and have any recommendations either for food stops, sites of interests along the way to the GTA?
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

LotusBlossom wrote:Will be road-tripping with my friend across the country. Unfortunately she didn't get her passport and can't cut through the US as we first planned. We'll end up in Hamilton where she's moving to, but will be starting off here in Vancouver. It's been 15 years since I did the Great Canadian Road Trip, so this shall be interesting.

We're driving in her 2009 Civic, so the gas mileage will be good but it's not exactly the most roomy car on the market...again, should be interesting. We leave in the AM tomorrow, first stop...Calgary...after that, we're planning to really hit the road hard and do our first stop in Kenora, ON and Sault St. Marie until we hit Hamilton the final day. Hitting the Terry Fox memorial though Thunder Bay for a short break though.

Just curious if anyone else has done this and have any recommendations either for food stops, sites of interests along the way to the GTA?
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

LotusBlossom wrote:Will be road-tripping with my friend across the country. Unfortunately she didn't get her passport and can't cut through the US as we first planned. We'll end up in Hamilton where she's moving to, but will be starting off here in Vancouver. It's been 15 years since I did the Great Canadian Road Trip, so this shall be interesting.

I just did Winnipeg to Vancouver and back. Calgary to Kenora is a good haul- long and you lose an hour of time too. I did Medicine Hat to Winnipeg and we left MH at 8:30 and got home around 8pm. Ad 2.5 from Calgary and another 2 to Kenora and you are looking at some pain.

I'm a big believer in keeping refreshed when driving so I always find places to stop and swim. Not so great in SK along the number one but Oak Lake is a good stop in MB about 20 mins east of the provincial border. After that it, pretty slim until you hit the Whiteshell where there are a number of good lakes, Falcon, West Hawk and then Lake of the Woods. Kenora has a few cheap ish motels but it could be packed on a long weekend. If I were you I'd plan on Winnipeg and then leave early the next morning for Thunder Bay and beyond.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Vpete wrote:

I just did Winnipeg to Vancouver and back. Calgary to Kenora is a good haul- long and you lose an hour of time too. I did Medicine Hat to Winnipeg and we left MH at 8:30 and got home around 8pm. Ad 2.5 from Calgary and another 2 to Kenora and you are looking at some pain.

I'm a big believer in keeping refreshed when driving so I always find places to stop and swim. Not so great in SK along the number one but Oak Lake is a good stop in MB about 20 mins east of the provincial border. After that it, pretty slim until you hit the Whiteshell where there are a number of good lakes, Falcon, West Hawk and then Lake of the Woods. Kenora has a few cheap ish motels but it could be packed on a long weekend. If I were you I'd plan on Winnipeg and then leave early the next morning for Thunder Bay and beyond.
We ended up in Winnipeg instead. We decided to do an early day to get to the Sault tomorrow. Thanks for the tips, Whiteshell is definitely something we're thinking about but we'll see, all dependent on the weather. Our driving shifts are pretty good, and my friend likes to drive in the morning while I prefer the late afternoon and night drives.

Lots of little towns to stop into, and our GPS only strayed us getting out of Calgary :evil: but we made it, in good time here to the Peg.

I haven't done this trip since I was 19... glad I have someone who did this not too long ago with me. Looking forward to heading to Hamilton. We get out and do a quick 10 minute stretch when we're feeling overwhelmed. It's nice having our spouses giving us the heads up on detours and weather updates as we go along. We're half way there...Be in S.Ontario on Saturday early evening and then a couple of days to chill out.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Vpete wrote:I'm a big believer in keeping refreshed when driving so I always find places to stop and swim.
When I head out to or home from a job it is routinely a 8-10 hour drive. I get into a zone and go. Gas stops are an annoying inconvenience.

I use the gps as a trip computer and try to bump my average speed up as much as I can. I averaged 102kmh on a trip last December that included getting through Kelowna, Vernon, Kamloops, and a bunch of small blips through the Cariboo. Most times that drive was 97-98kmh average. I keep it about 10-15kmh over the speed limit and don't speed through towns.

I just want to get there.

Current job will be a day and half trip home when I finally get out of here.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Topper wrote:
Vpete wrote:I'm a big believer in keeping refreshed when driving so I always find places to stop and swim.
When I head out to or home from a job it is routinely a 8-10 hour drive. I get into a zone and go. Gas stops are an annoying inconvenience.

I use the gps as a trip computer and try to bump my average speed up as much as I can. I averaged 102kmh on a trip last December that included getting through Kelowna, Vernon, Kamloops, and a bunch of small blips through the Cariboo. Most times that drive was 97-98kmh average. I keep it about 10-15kmh over the speed limit and don't speed through towns.

I just want to get there.

Current job will be a day and half trip home when I finally get out of here.
But you are not driving with two kids. Alone I am a machine but with the family it's a whole different reality.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

or 2 horses...2 dogs and a cat..lofl
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rats19 wrote:or 2 horses...2 dogs and a cat..lofl
manifold cookery

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:
rats19 wrote:or 2 horses...2 dogs and a cat..lofl
manifold cookery
are you saying: leaves cariboo with 2 horses..2 dogs and a cat.....arrive in arizona with 2 horses and 1 dog?

rat/heard ...tastes like chicken..
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

tar tar before korean bbq

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:tar tar before korean bbq
so.

helmans mayo
pickle juice
hot sauce (like franks)
salt,pepper,garlic
diced pickles
Worcestershire sauce
lemon juice

best seafood tartar ever.....takes a few goes to get the right amounts of each...all done by taste..my own mix for shore lunch cookouts back in the fishin days...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

sub finely chopped raw horse meat for the mayo and you're close