HST

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

How will you vote on the HST referendum (for BC folks only)

Poll ended at Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am

YES to extinguish the HST
42%
NO to keep the HST
58%

Total votes: 26

ClamRussel
CC Legend

HST

Post by ClamRussel »

The referendum ballots are out, discuss.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: HST

Post by Arachnid »

Whatsa matter with you Wetcoasters can't you just delete it like they did the BSCB? :cry:

Suck it up and pay your taxes or leave the Mighty Empire :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I haven't opened mine yet. Didn't Krusty Clark say we would get a rebate if it got voted in ? Or is that only for low income folks ?

I don 't mind the concept of HST but I didn't like the way it was introduced and I didn't like that many new items were being hit with both taxes when in the past they were exempt from the old GST tax.

Either way if it comes down to an either or of having HST or horrible income taxes (see NDP), I'd choose the HST. Heaven help us if the NDP gets back in power again, though I'm sure there might be the odd security guard who would like that.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

No rebates Blob unless you're well below the poverty line, think GST rebates.

This isn't about "not wanting to pay taxes" Spidey. This is a TAX SHIFT. The fact you're now paying HST on all items previously PST exempt is the whole point Blob. Its all so corporations don't have to pay their share. Shift it onto the backs of consumers. The "theory" is they will pass the savings onto consumers but thats a big ball of spin from Colin Hansen. It will not happen and whens the last time you purchased anything made in BC anyways?

Don't believe the reduction promises down to 10% either because the system cannot support that. Even if they keep it there the money has to come from somewhere so expect increases elsewhere. Their budget is BROKEN if they keep it. Won't happen, just like Gordo's Last Stand on TV, where he promised the new income tax reduction.....then the Liberals canceled it a few weeks later....this 10% will not last. It will be back up to 12% and more realistically higher like 15% to make up for it.

I'm 100% in favour of getting rid of the old system and bringing in a VAT but not this one. They made back room deals, lied about it during their re-election campaign and then haven't stopped lying about it ever since. The stories keep changing but the lies remain. This referendum isn't even about the tax anymore as much as its about honour, integrity & respect.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

ClamRussel wrote:
I'm 100% in favour of getting rid of the old system and bringing in a VAT but not this one. They made back room deals, lied about it during their re-election campaign and then haven't stopped lying about it ever since. The stories keep changing but the lies remain. This referendum isn't even about the tax anymore as much as its about honour, integrity & respect.
Exactly Clam. The way this tax was introduced right after an election where it wasn't even an issue is what burns me. Then they backtrack and reduce it to 10% and add bribes (temporary rebates) in an effort to sell it to the masses ... not mentioning the hundreds of items that were not taxed previously that would be taxed going forward. Also, the potentially confusing wording of the referendum question is insulting to all intelligent voters (even more of an insult to those not so intelligent or ESL voters).
The sneaky, dirty, underhanded methods used to introduce this tax and the methods used to try to keep it should not be rewarded with a no vote.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I love the HST!

I was tired of paying PST on inputs for my work. I had to build it into my charges, now I pay HST on my inputs, charge HST on my services and then claim back what I paid vs what I charged.

My clients get a break and I get a break.

The HST is administered by the Feds at the same time they admin the GST, PST costs the BC government $30-$35 million annually to administer. That money is now freed for other projects.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I hate the way it was introduced, I hate the ongoing lies that they are playing on the TV every time you turn around and I have yet to see ANY saving coming into my house. as Clam says, this is a shift from the corporations paying their fair share to the everyday consumer (you and I) paying more on everything. Nothing is exempt. and if you think business is going to pass their savings on to you, I have a swamp that I would like to offer you for sale....
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

There will not be a saving fro most with the HST, what there will be is a lag in increases.

Haven't any of you realized, taxes don't go down.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

woodhog wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Exactly Clam. The way this tax was introduced right after an election where it wasn't even an issue is what burns me. Then they backtrack and reduce it to 10% and add bribes (temporary rebates) in an effort to sell it to the masses ... not mentioning the hundreds of items that were not taxed previously that would be taxed going forward. Also, the potentially confusing wording of the referendum question is insulting to all intelligent voters (even more of an insult to those not so intelligent or ESL voters).
The sneaky, dirty, underhanded methods used to introduce this tax and the methods used to try to keep it should not be rewarded with a no vote.
The whole concept of the HST doesn't bother me. Perhaps in the long run, it will be better for all.

I was extremely bothered with the way it was introduced and implemented. I was bothered enough that I signed the petition to have it abolished. I have yet to open my package that I received in the mail, but I will be sure to give it a good read-through and make my decision that is best for me. I guess that's where we're all going to differ.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

LotusBlossom wrote:
woodhog wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
The whole concept of the HST doesn't bother me. Perhaps in the long run, it will be better for all.

I was extremely bothered with the way it was introduced and implemented. I was bothered enough that I signed the petition to have it abolished. I have yet to open my package that I received in the mail, but I will be sure to give it a good read-through and make my decision that is best for me. I guess that's where we're all going to differ.
"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin - 1738

At this point I don't care if it benefits me or not. It will definitely be better for some people and worse for others. At what point however do people finally do something about being lied to? These politicians think we will believe anything they say if they repeat it enough. Even those who don't buy into it, they figure they'll forget over time and it will all just go away. At what point do the people finally have enough? No doubt a VAT is a simpler form of taxation but that doesn't mean the HST is the way to go. This tax is tainted w/ lies & deception. Bottom line is the Liberals had NO respect for the tax paying public. If they had HALF a brain they could have waited a year to introduce this and Gordo wouldn't have gone out in a ball of flames. There would have been no movement to stop it and, much like the carbon tax, it would have long been forgotten. Instead the wheels were in motion 3 days after the election polls closed. This is an opportunity to stand up for transparency. Voting "no" is the same as Daniel taking 7 punches to the face by rookie pest Marchand and doing nothing. Unless you stand up to these liars & thieves you deserve it. Vote "yes" and demand a VAT that involves discussion & transparency. Demand fair taxation and that companies pay their fair share.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Christy won't lie to us Clam, won't she?
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Jovorock wrote:Christy won't lie to us Clam, won't she?
No not at all Jovo, just look at the BC Rail affair...nothing wrong there, move along...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ClamRussel wrote:No rebates Blob unless you're well below the poverty line, think GST rebates.

This isn't about "not wanting to pay taxes" Spidey. This is a TAX SHIFT. The fact you're now paying HST on all items previously PST exempt is the whole point Blob. Its all so corporations don't have to pay their share. Shift it onto the backs of consumers. The "theory" is they will pass the savings onto consumers but thats a big ball of spin from Colin Hansen. It will not happen and whens the last time you purchased anything made in BC anyways?

Don't believe the reduction promises down to 10% either because the system cannot support that. Even if they keep it there the money has to come from somewhere so expect increases elsewhere. Their budget is BROKEN if they keep it. Won't happen, just like Gordo's Last Stand on TV, where he promised the new income tax reduction.....then the Liberals canceled it a few weeks later....this 10% will not last. It will be back up to 12% and more realistically higher like 15% to make up for it.

I'm 100% in favour of getting rid of the old system and bringing in a VAT but not this one. They made back room deals, lied about it during their re-election campaign and then haven't stopped lying about it ever since. The stories keep changing but the lies remain. This referendum isn't even about the tax anymore as much as its abouthonour, integrity & respect.
Honour, integrity & respect JayZeus Clam, this isn't Disney, the system is corrupt and getting worse, those in power are in power for a reason and do what ever they want, democracy has ceased to exist, run by the corporations and you think your little rebellion will change that? It's admirable (in a Star Wars VI kinda way :blush: ) butt there is only one way outta here...if we eva get out here...thought of giving it all away...to a registered HSTay...

Spidey on the Run
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Arachnid wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:No rebates Blob unless you're well below the poverty line, think GST rebates.

I'm 100% in favour of getting rid of the old system and bringing in a VAT but not this one. They made back room deals, lied about it during their re-election campaign and then haven't stopped lying about it ever since. The stories keep changing but the lies remain. This referendum isn't even about the tax anymore as much as its abouthonour, integrity & respect.
Honour, integrity & respect JayZeus Clam, this isn't Disney, the system is corrupt and getting worse, those in power are in power for a reason and do what ever they want, democracy has ceased to exist, run by the corporations and you think your little rebellion will change that? It's admirable (in a Star Wars VI kinda way :blush: ) butt there is only one way outta here...if we eva get out here...thought of giving it all away...to a registered HSTay...

Spidey on the Run
I don't think clothes-lining them on this issue will change everything Spidey....but at some point you have to man up to stop Marchand from bitch slapping you right?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ClamRussel wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Spidey on the Run
I don't think clothes-lining them on this issue will change everything Spidey....but at some point you have to man up to stop Marchand from bitch slapping you right?
Yes, you are right :(

Ummm so who did we get to prevent that again? 8-)