Home Entertainment Discussion

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Home Entertainment Discussion

Post by ODB »

SKYO wrote:hey odb what do you think of those 70-80" Sharp Quattron Aquos TV's? they worth shelling out the big dough for?
I honestly can't say too much about them. I'm out of da fuckin loop when it comes to that stuff. The boys pushing 5 and we're not too far off from the two of us enjoying flicks together. Popcorn shit like Ironman. Once that starts I'm fairly confident I’ll get the theater bug again but I haven’t bought a piece of home theater equipment in about 3 years and that's just crazy. My shit is considered ancient.

Personally... and I know I've said it before but, I was dropping 6/7k on a 42 inch plasma back in the day. Prices just keep coming down. The newest thing are these monster displays for 4/5k. Give it two years and all the manufactures will be pushing 80+ inch displays for 2.5k. I say if you have a nice display already, wait it out for a while.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:
SKYO wrote:hey odb what do you think of those 70-80" Sharp Quattron Aquos TV's? they worth shelling out the big dough for?
I honestly can't say too much about them. I'm out of da fuckin loop when it comes to that stuff. The boys pushing 5 and we're not too far off from the two of us enjoying flicks together. Popcorn shit like Ironman. Once that starts I'm fairly confident I’ll get the theater bug again but I haven’t bought a piece of home theater equipment in about 3 years and that's just crazy. My shit is considered ancient.

Personally... and I know I've said it before but, I was dropping 6/7k on a 42 inch plasma back in the day. Prices just keep coming down. The newest thing are these monster displays for 4/5k. Give it two years and all the manufactures will be pushing 80+ inch displays for 2.5k. I say if you have a nice display already, wait it out for a while.
Fuck that, you, sphthinkter and your skyboytoy are clueless....get an HD projector....100x the impact of any flat screen...

8-)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-P ... a_5010.htm
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Wouldn't an etch a sketch be better for the environment?

:mrgreen:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:Wouldn't an etch a sketch be better for the environment?

:mrgreen:
:evil:

Actually, no, the projectors can use a lot more energy than the newest LED LCDs but I don't watch a lot of TV or movies so probably use way less power for entertainment than the average household (also the LED Flash HD MacBook is very efficient for a lot of stuff I do watch) ...I read books...you know what those are right?!...I sure the fuck hope you are reading anything and everything to the kid...or is he going to be a high school drop-out patronage appointed daddies boy just like you :P
Last edited by Arachnid on Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

OMG, reading is so 1980's!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

lol...I prefer reading myself.

Always have a book on the go.
DeLevering since 1999.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ODB wrote: I honestly can't say too much about them. I'm out of da fuckin loop when it comes to that stuff. The boys pushing 5 and we're not too far off from the two of us enjoying flicks together. Popcorn shit like Ironman. Once that starts I'm fairly confident I’ll get the theater bug again but I haven’t bought a piece of home theater equipment in about 3 years and that's just crazy. My shit is considered ancient.

Yeah got a 47" on boxing day, it's good for a coupla years, its just tempting to try out the 70" eventually when the prices come down a tad as you said.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

donlever wrote:lol...I prefer reading myself.

Always have a book on the go.
I was going to rip you about talking books in a home theatre thread butt.....

then i looked at the title and it said 'home entertainment' so I took pause.

having my basement done soon, getting through all the subs (with my contractor who better have fucking insurance after what you told me in that other thread!! :shock: ) So I'm in for a new TV and certainly a new amp/receiver and am thinking of one of the Anthem ones for around 2k.

However, budgets are getting pretty crazy and I'm trying to understand where all the money is going. Basement is 750 sq ft and by estimates on some research and such it appears 100$/sq ft was on par with costs. Contractor says ball park before some other quotes come in is over 100k right now but it's all ball park.

first off there is some pretty major... shit there's a thread for this stuff right? fuck it too late now... infrastructure work re: plumbing, heating and electrical to deal with, at least 20k worth but 80k for the rest of the space? Seems steep.

Donny I'm looking at you here for guidance. Designers have come up with a pretty good plan but it does not seem excessive other than some mill work and 'styling features' but am I off the mark? Anyone, Bueller?
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.