CFL

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

CFL

Post by Madcombinepilot »

how about those Riders?

tough game to lose for the Lions...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: CFL

Post by Arachnid »

Madcombinepilot wrote:how about those Riders?

What an awesome game, beats the NFL 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Sadness

What a game!
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

beats the NFL anyday. what a sad ending. i kinda blame Wally and his staff, we have crapy playcalling
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Why not go for the win with only a 2.5 yard conversion? dumb call to kick...
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Robert wrote:Why not go for the win with only a 2.5 yard conversion? dumb call to kick...
I wouldn't have thought less of Lulay or Wally if they went for it, but it was an exciting game, nonetheless.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Robert wrote:Why not go for the win with only a 2.5 yard conversion? dumb call to kick...
I wouldn't have thought less of Lulay or Wally if they went for it, but it was an exciting game, nonetheless.

im almost positive i would have thought more of them if they HAD gone for it

Jim Robson
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

THAT'S WHAT I KEEP TELLING ALL THESE YOUNG 'PUNKS' WHO TURN UP THEIR NOSE ON THE CFL. BEFORE I BECAME A HOCKEY FAN, I WAS A LIONS FAN FIRST. 3 DOWN FOOTBALL AND THE CANADIAN GAME MEANS EXCITING GAMES YOU DON'T OFTEN SEE IN THE NFL.

DP
Arachnid wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:how about those Riders?

What an awesome game, beats the NFL 8-)
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

DavidPratt_ wrote:THAT'S WHAT I KEEP TELLING ALL THESE YOUNG 'PUNKS' WHO TURN UP THEIR NOSE ON THE CFL. BEFORE I BECAME A HOCKEY FAN, I WAS A LIONS FAN FIRST. 3 DOWN FOOTBALL AND THE CANADIAN GAME MEANS EXCITING GAMES YOU DON'T OFTEN SEE IN THE NFL.

DP
I've been to 2 Superbowls and 4 Grey Cups. All I am saying is the Grey Cup parties are WAY better than Superbowl ones. The people who go to the Grey Cup parties are good CFL fans and love the game. The people that go to Superbowl parties are there to 'be seen', plain and simple. People who show up for GC love the game, love the league and love their teams and it shows.

The championship games themselves are better by FAR with the CFL than they are with the NFL. My daughter recently got into the CFL and a big Lions fan now. She actually started off being a fan because she wanted to see what the 'stink' was about the Riders since her heritage is partly from Saskatchewan (Cree). Now she is hooked. We just bought seasons tickets for the BC Lions this year and of course guaranteeing our Grey Cup tickets as well.

I love listening to all the Grey Cup stuff on the radio because it truly sounds like everyone is having a great time.

It's going to most likely be a great game, may the best team win.

Addition: We bought the Club Seats for BC Place. $1000 a seat with club privileges, we bought 4. ONE Club seat for the Canucks (which we sell to friends) is already over $8000. If you have a family and want to get to see some local sports, the Lions are the way to do it. BC Place is no longer going to be a terrible venue, and it's the best bang for your buck.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Grey Cups are awesome. My first experiance at an event was '94. We went into Montreal's hotel down on Robson on the sat afternoon and it was hoppin! There was a very large american contingent and they were singing/chanting non stop "CFL is alive and well, nfl can go to hell". Gave me goosebumps! Then the saskatchewan marching band entered, via the kitchen! Pots pans and oriental kitchen workers went flying.. lol.. man if a person can't get hooked on that they're retarded!

In 2002 I went to Edmonton.. in one of the events the night before the game we saw Jim Barker (he was Montreal's HC at the time) over at another table. We went over and joined him for a few... he ended up telling us what he was going to do the first two plays of the game.. a bit of trickery.. well wouldn't you know it it's exactly what he did!!

the fan down south couldn't ever dream up such a scenario!

Long live CFL :mex:
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

LOVe the CFL. i just wish it could expand a bit more into other smaller canadian cities like Victoria, Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax. It would be great to see the league try and expand inside the counrty and build football markets in new cities. and i know for a fact that every one of those cities can support a CFL framnchise so dont say otherwise you smartalecs. 8-) If Winterpeg and Regina can handle a CFL team quite easily, so can any four of those cities.

Jim Robson
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Sorry nucklehead, no way does Victoria support a CFL team. We couldn't even keep our semi-pro baseball team, nor could we keep the WHL Cougars. To support a CFL team here, you'd need almost 10% of the population of the Island coming to Victoria for the games. You can't rely on mainlanders as they can't get back from the game without staying overnight. The latter is a big part of the Riders' success; people drive to Regina from all over the province. Did I also mention that there isn't an appropriate stadium, either?

However, I'd love to see Quebec City (la belle province is football crazy) and Halifax brought in. I don't know if the Maritimes could pull it off, though. How would you market it to appeal to NB *and* NS?.. not to mention PEI and NFLD. But a return of the Bombers to the West and the addition of QC and Halifax to the East looks great. Frankly, revive Ottawa and we only need one of QC or Halifax to get two 5-team divisions.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Puck wrote:Sorry nucklehead, no way does Victoria support a CFL team. We couldn't even keep our semi-pro baseball team, nor could we keep the WHL Cougars. To support a CFL team here, you'd need almost 10% of the population of the Island coming to Victoria for the games. You can't rely on mainlanders as they can't get back from the game without staying overnight. The latter is a big part of the Riders' success; people drive to Regina from all over the province. Did I also mention that there isn't an appropriate stadium, either?

However, I'd love to see Quebec City (la belle province is football crazy) and Halifax brought in. I don't know if the Maritimes could pull it off, though. How would you market it to appeal to NB *and* NS?.. not to mention PEI and NFLD. But a return of the Bombers to the West and the addition of QC and Halifax to the East looks great. Frankly, revive Ottawa and we only need one of QC or Halifax to get two 5-team divisions.
The Maritime Maroons...thats the way to do it...a team in Halifax would be awesome. They love their college football there. One of my favourite cities on the East Coast. Granite Brewery mmmmmmmmm...

Ottawa can blow away, we don't need them, Quebec City is a better crowd and would build a Ticats/Argos Stamps/Eskies rivalry with Montreal like no other.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Ottawa is in, that's a done deal as soon as the stadium is built. The next team is in either Halifax or Moncton; but if seperatist rumblings start up maybe the feds will get us anglo's in the west to pay for a stadium in Quebec. 8-)
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Puck wrote:Sorry nucklehead, no way does Victoria support a CFL team.
I'm not so sure about that.

Regina has a CFL Football team and Victoria has a larger population. Furthermore - Nanaimo (2nd largest city on Vancouver Island) has a population that is close to 90,000 people....and travelling to Victoria would be cheaper and quicker than going to Vancouver.

I would argue that if Victoria got a CFL team, it would be well received. Victoria, for one of the 1st times ever, would get to play with "the big boys" in one of Canada's major sports. We see how nutty Saskatchewan Roughrider fans can be (for similar reasons). I could see the same thing happening with Victoria (although I wonder if a lot of Lions fans....would be willing to foresake them in favor of Victoria's team.....or would it even be an issue?).