Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

topcornermax
AHL Prospect

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by topcornermax »

MegaBites great place for a date
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Mëds wrote:Has anyone been to The Peacful Restaurant? I saw it on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and was thinking of checking it out when I'm in Van in a coupla months.
Looking into that too Mëds. He also went to a place called Meat and Bread. Looked good, if you're into that sandwich thing. I might make that a cheat day this week.
If you get a chance to check it out before May could you lemme know?

Keyser already has me sold on Meat and Bread as a place I wanna try.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Just made a genois with creme patisserie and fresh strawberries. Topped off with two candles.

Heading south of the border for wetback food and see if the little guy can hold his head up under a sombrero.

Games set on the vcr. Maybe I'll take second watch after Blob passes out.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Edible at the Market on Granville Island

I've been a few times (tried both dinner and brunch) and it has become my favorite restaurant in the city.

Definately worth checking out, and exactly the type of restaurant that Granville Island needed.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

What are we eating there KS?
DeLevering since 1999.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

donlever wrote:What are we eating there KS?
If you go at dinner, the mushroom crusted wild albacore tuna (starter) is amazing. Brunch - duck confit hash.

Everything else I have tried has been top notch as well.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

KeyserSoze wrote: Brunch - duck confit hash.
Do they have a lo-fat version?

:P

Sounds interesting, I'ma gonna check it out and let you know what I think.
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote: Brunch - duck confit hash.
Do they have a lo-fat version?
Next time just lay off the popcorn dripping in fake butter and sour sugar things and you wont have to ask such ridiculous questions.
2011..... the one that got away.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

KeyserSoze wrote:Edible at the Market on Granville Island

I've been a few times (tried both dinner and brunch) and it has become my favorite restaurant in the city.

Definately worth checking out, and exactly the type of restaurant that Granville Island needed.
How do they do their mushroom crust on the tuna? Is it crushed/powdered dried mushrooms or are they softer sauteed mushrooms?

I would think something like dried porcini 'shrroms, crushed to a bit finer than cornmeal consistency, would make an interesting crust and give a great textural contrast to the tuna.

Looking at the menu, duck fat for their fries. I am happy! Glad to see a restaurant that while trying to have the freshest ingredients and continuously update their menu to reflect what is available, they don't get strung out on the extremes of the idea ::cough::100mile::cough::

I was talking with a friend the other day and commenting how happy I am to see terrines are back in vogue. They are a great menu item, low food cost, made ahead so plating time during service is minimal and great for the customer because they pack a ton of flavour and can look beautiful on the plate.
Last edited by Topper on Thu May 24, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: Next time just lay off the popcorn dripping in fake butter and sour sugar things and you wont have to ask such ridiculous questions.
Yeah, otherwise you're going to wind up like that toothless clown that keeps ruining your golf game!

BTW, with those scores I'm getting 3 a side.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

donlever wrote: Do they have a lo-fat version?

:P

Sounds interesting, I'ma gonna check it out and let you know what I think.
Yes...it's called Don't Eat It All ;)
Topper wrote: How do they do their mushroom crust on the tuna? Is it crushed/powdered dried mushrooms or are they softer sauteed mushrooms?

I would think something like dried porcini 'shrroms, crushed to a bit finer than cornmeal consistency, would make an interesting crust and give a great textural contrast to the tuna.

Looking at the menu, duck fat for their fries. I am happy! Glad to see a restaurant that while trying to have the freshest ingredients and continuously update their menu to reflect what is available, they don't get strung out on the extremes of the idea ::cough::100mile::cough::
It's a dried mushroom crust. The tuna is seared rare, and the overall balance of the dish is spot on...one of the most memorable starters I have ever had.

The fries are very good and come with housemade ketchup and bacon aioli.

They are all about fresh seasonal ingredients, prepared fairly simply (but executed perfectly) to let them really shine...which is why I said it is exactly what Granville Island needed.

Speaking of bacon, they just launched a takeout window featuring a handful of bacon dishes which I have yet to try. BLLT (bacon, lobster, lettuce, tomato) sandwich, and Box-o-bacon (bacon strips perpared in a variety of ways with a chocolate dipping sauce on the side) grabbed my attention.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote: Next time just lay off the popcorn dripping in fake butter and sour sugar things and you wont have to ask such ridiculous questions.
Yeah, one of the reasons I don't go to movies, although I've been twice in a month now for some reason, is I am inexplicably drawn to the horribly overpriced grotesque treat bar....

The rare time I actually cheat anything remotely like that (I'll have desert at a top notch restaurant most times) is at the movies for some fukin reason, memories of youth perhaps.

Thanks for the tip Keyser, don't eat it all...lol, perfect, although not likely, when I'm paying a good dollar for good eats it's all going down the hatch.

3 a side AP, :lol: .... riiiggghhtt.

I'm off to Canal and Ridge next week, Seymour and Northlands the week after that then we go on our annual boyz golf trip.

Whistler this year.

Nicklaus North, the Palmer Course, Big Sky here I come.
DeLevering since 1999.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Whistler golf trip in June, eh, Lever? Me too. Perhaps we'll meet when I fade one into the wrong fairway :shock:
Will you be wearing the Vintage #9? Home or away?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...fair warning Puck, I hit them back.

:D

;)
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote:...fair warning Puck, I hit them back.
Unless it's a Pro-V1 right!

Then fire back some random rock that has somehow fallen into your bag.

Signed "You don't need a $5.00 ball to miss the fairway by that much!"

BTW what kind of sticks you hitting these days donny? I'm so far out of the golfing loop it's not even funny.

Bloody kids i tells ya.