Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Do you guys actually take your golf clubs with you when you go out for a nice diner?

Weird.
What exactly does one do when he goes out for a nice diner?

How do you prepare your diner?
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote: How do you prepare your diner?
Alongside drive-ins and dives.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...that guy pisses me off, she-Hulk loves him tho, I dig his car however.

I'll be getting me one of these sooner than later.

Guys..

More like this one tho, no rag top..

DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:...that guy pisses me off, she-Hulk loves him tho, I dig his car however.

I'll be getting me one of these sooner than later.

Get a '68 in charcoal grey.

Red cars suck.

All of them.
2011..... the one that got away.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..yeah, wouldn't get red, def darker grey or black.

If I go Z-28 it will be white with balck stripes.

DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The guy is a putz who can't cook. Travel the country eating greasy fast food. Oh yum.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Topper wrote:The guy is a putz who can't cook. Travel the country eating greasy fast food. Oh yum.
A little off topic, (seeing how we're talking about golf clubs and Camaros) but was that Connie girl from Top Chef Canada one of your friends or a friend of a friend?

I just saw her on Eat St. and apparently she has bought into the whole food truck craze too. Apart from the foot high burger (fuck I hate things that are difficult to eat) everything looked pretty wicked.
2011..... the one that got away.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Connie is a friend of a friend. He got pretty stirred up by some of my comments about her TopChef performance.

I had heard she had some other things in the works in Calgary, a food truck would be a logical extension as her restaurant does a good take away business for the downtown lunch crowd and sells burgers to regulars out back through the kitchen door.

One of my sister's dating advise to a young Topper, take a woman for lunch and buy her the biggest burger you can find. If she can get her mouth around it, take her out again.

The food truck fad is interesting. Like any fad, it will have a short shelf life, but getting good and fun food out to folks is a great concept. Hopefully some of it will survive when the fad crashes.

Yesterday I read that Westbank had banned the use of music on ice cream trucks. There were the old arguments that it lures kids to run out into the street and that many find the monotonous jingle annoying, but the main reason was to prevent loud music from other food trucks.

As for TopChef, the guy who's food ideas I most liked was eliminated last week. Xavier is the chef at Muse in Calgary. I didn't think he had a chance of winning because his cooking is too steeped in classical French cooking, but it is his restaurant that I'd be most drawn to.

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Topper wrote:As for TopChef
I've always thought that Mark McEwan seems like a pretty big duchebag.

I am starting to catch up on this season on the PVR. I don't know where they finish, but Trevor Bird recently opened his own digs "Fable" (Farm to Table) on West 4th in the old ReFuel location. Curtis from Top Chef works with him there and is making macaroons (among other things).

I'd love to try Michael Voltaggio's restaurant INK in LA
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..speaking of farm to table there is a guy up in Penticton who does a nice organic from his farm to the restaurant menu.

Granny Bogners.

We went there maybe twenty years ago and returned last year (to find this fellow who had somewhat recently taken over) when the wife wanted to go to the Blasted Church winery and stock up.

The meal was out-fucking-standing....
DeLevering since 1999.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Nice. I'm heading to the Okanagan this summer for the first time in about 3 years, I'll definately keep this place in mind.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

After pondering for a second I believe it is called Bogners of Penticton now. (Used to be Granny Bogners)

It's set up in an old Heritage Mansion and you enter into the foyer through the front doorways as if it were still an inhabited space.

Then off to the living area which is set up as a dining room.

I think there are only like 8 or 10 tables so reserve for sure.
Last edited by donlever on Fri May 25, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yeah, here we go..

DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Topper wrote:As for TopChef
I've always thought that Mark McEwan seems like a pretty big duchebag.

I am starting to catch up on this season on the PVR. I don't know where they finish, but Trevor Bird recently opened his own digs "Fable" (Farm to Table) on West 4th in the old ReFuel location. Curtis from Top Chef works with him there and is making macaroons (among other things).
No doubt McKewan is a pompous douche bag. I have found some of the reasoning behind his criticisms to be absolutely false. A bit of research and an understanding of food science will tell you he is often off base. That said, he owns several of Toronto's top restaurants so he knows the business end of it.
Last edited by Topper on Fri May 25, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:
Yesterday I read that Westbank had banned the use of music on ice cream trucks. There were the old arguments that it lures kids to run out into the street and that many find the monotonous jingle annoying, but the main reason was to prevent loud music from other food trucks.

seriously ? I gotta add that one to my list. How the hell have kids survived for the last three quarters of a century if they are so thick, I wonder??

Actually I know the reason is that the Okanagan has always been full of old fukkers who retire to the sunny clime and think they own the place. (which they probably do) either that or there is an inordinate amount of Albertans and Calgarians allowed through Rogers Pass...

Anyway Granny Bogners always used to be the best place to eat in Pen, but haven't been there in decades. also if you like steak cooked outdoors there is a place way up Carmi ave, nearly half way to Beaverdell on the mountainside called the lost Moose grill, that has a unique set up, with a big outdoor woodfire grill, and spectacular view.