Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by KeyserSoze »

Recently checked a few places off my list that I have been wanting to go to for a while now.

Medina Cafe - Brought to you by the same people that run Chambar (it's right next door). Open for breakfast/lunch only. Expect at least an hour wait on the weekend unless you get there 10 mins before they open (as we did) to be part of the first seating. Food was really good, great service, but I wouldn't wait an hour to eat there.

C - Have been meaning to eat here for some time now. Tried the 9-course tasting menu...definately worth it and it was a great way to try a bunch of dishes in one visit. A meal to remember.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

KeyserSoze wrote:Recently checked a few places off my list that I have been wanting to go to for a while now.

Medina Cafe - Brought to you by the same people that run Chambar (it's right next door). Open for breakfast/lunch only. Expect at least an hour wait on the weekend unless you get there 10 mins before they open (as we did) to be part of the first seating. Food was really good, great service, but I wouldn't wait an hour to eat there.

C - Have been meaning to eat here for some time now. Tried the 9-course tasting menu...definately worth it and it was a great way to try a bunch of dishes in one visit. A meal to remember.
Hmm Medina Cafe sounds interesting...put that on the list.

C- is amazing. Fantastic seafood there. Is the 9-course tasting menu a seasonal menu, Keyser? It's been a while since I've been there.

Like that part of False Creek, the area between Yaletown and the West End. There are some cool little places along that strip under the Burrard Bridge. That makes me miss living downtown, but I don't think I could live down there in stage of my life...ah the memories.

Addition: Did Morton's close down in Vancouver? I've only been there less than a handful of times, but I don't recall seeing it last time I drove by Sinclair Centre.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

My guess is that the tasting menu at C likely changes by season based on availability.

It was not part of their actual menu, just an inserted page...

Mushroom veloute, charred octopus salad, seared scallop, salmon risotto, seared albacore tuna, chevre, cucumber sorbet, chocolate brownie, chocolate truffles.

As for Mortons, I think it did close down.
I never went, but I don't go to steakhouses all that often *caugh boring, caugh overpriced* ;)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

KeyserSoze wrote:My guess is that the tasting menu at C likely changes by season based on availability.

It was not part of their actual menu, just an inserted page...

Mushroom veloute, charred octopus salad, seared scallop, salmon risotto, seared albacore tuna, chevre, cucumber sorbet, chocolate brownie, chocolate truffles.

As for Mortons, I think it did close down.
I never went, but I don't go to steakhouses all that often *caugh boring, caugh overpriced* ;)
I think I'm going to drag someone to C before that changes lol. Sounds so good!

Yea, I am with you on the steakhouses, unless I head out of town and have a dinner meeting. They are still 'safe' for everyone to go to, unless a vegetarian, but even then there are vegetarian dishes these days.

As for the Morton's thing, I've never really been all that impressed. I could probably get the same fare at the Keg Caesars. I'd rather spend the steak cash at Tojo's or another seafood restaurant. I haven't had red meat in about 2 weeks. No particular reasoning except for I haven't really thought about it much but I guess I should. Probably why I brought it up in the first place.

Next on our list is Hawksworth's. We have a double date with a good friend of mine and her husband tentatively scheduled and they are big time foodies, so I think this will be a perfect introduction to David Hawksworth's new restaurant. As a side note, I worked with his wife Anabel on a few projects and never put two and two together. Nice lady, has her own PR firm in the city and mainly reps restaurants and dining events...go figure. :lol:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I detest steak houses.

When I go for a nice dinner, I want something I can not easily cook at home.

Was in the NW BC recently and had a hotel restaurant meal that was deplorable.

I ordered blackened pork tenderloin with spatzle, I received raw pork tenderloin and roasted potato wedges. Sent it back and got the same plate with the medallions of pork now seared on the flat top and the same wedges of potato. Mrs Topper ordered salmon, but not the dry overcooked slab that was on her plate.

This place had the audacity to be charging $30/plate. They wanted $35-$40 for a steak and $3/side dish.

Disgusting
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:I detest steak houses.

When I go for a nice dinner, I want something I can not easily cook at home.

Was in the NW BC recently and had a hotel restaurant meal that was deplorable.

I ordered blackened pork tenderloin with spatzle, I received raw pork tenderloin and roasted potato wedges. Sent it back and got the same plate with the medallions of pork now seared on the flat top and the same wedges of potato. Mrs Topper ordered salmon, but not the dry overcooked slab that was on her plate.

This place had the audacity to be charging $30/plate. They wanted $35-$40 for a steak and $3/side dish.

Disgusting
I'm curious how restaurants like that stay open? Who the hell cooks pork raw? Tsk tsk!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Medium rare pork, slightly pink, is fine. Trichinosis is killed just under 130F, an internal temp of 130F is fine and hold over cooking while the meat rests may bring it closer to 135F.

My pork was raw, the medallions were stone cold in the centre.

This place is in a hotel, captive audience of business travellers, and the only game in town. Sadly they know it and don't try.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Speaking of seafood, and hotel restaurants...I see that Yew at the Four Seasons is now a seafood restaurant.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

KeyserSoze wrote:I never went, but I don't go to steakhouses all that often *caugh boring, caugh overpriced* ;)
Have to agree....

Since Topper taught me how to properly cook a steak I have been incredibly disappointed with anything from a restaurant.

Gothom was bad (and stupid expensive), Hy's was meh (way better and cheaper then Gothom though), the Kegs has always been crap, but I wouldn't wipe my ass with their food now. Even the T-bone from Darios at the Italian centre in east Van (which has always been great) was kind of a bummer.

A month or so back I went camping for the first time in a bazillion years. Picked up a couple bone in ribeyes from costco and cooked them on a grill over a blazing hot, and smoky camp fire.

Perhaps the best steak I have eaten and I think most of my friends felt the same way.

On a side note, camping fucking sucks my balls. That meal was pretty much the only thing good about my trip.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Potatoe1 wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:I never went, but I don't go to steakhouses all that often *caugh boring, caugh overpriced* ;)
Have to agree....

Since Topper taught me how to properly cook a steak I have been incredibly disappointed with anything from a restaurant.

Gothom was bad (and stupid expensive), Hy's was meh (way better and cheaper then Gothom though), the Kegs has always been crap, but I wouldn't wipe my ass with their food now. Even the T-bone from Darios at the Italian centre in east Van (which has always been great) was kind of a bummer.

A month or so back I went camping for the first time in a bazillion years. Picked up a couple bone in ribeyes from costco and cooked them on a grill over a blazing hot, and smoky camp fire.

Perhaps the best steak I have eaten and I think most of my friends felt the same way.

On a side note, camping fucking sucks my balls. That meal was pretty much the only thing good about my trip.
a friend of mine....more an acquaintance actually told me at a party.

"roughing it for him was when the ice machine is on a different floor"...I though about it and came to the conclusion..thank GOD we all dont like the exact same things...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Since we are on the subject of restaurants...

I was in Seattle last weekend and right by my hotel there was a trio of restaurants owned by Tom Douglas who I guess is a big deal out there.

Friday night I had the crab cakes at the Dahilia lounge, Saturday mooring was Brunch at Lolas which was just OK, and Saturday night I had perhaps the best pizza I have ever eaten at "Serious Pie" (how the hell can Pizza be that good?).

On Sunday I went to Pikes place market and had the macaroni at the cheese shop and the clam chowder that is apparently the best in the country (both were pretty incredible).

Vancouver has good eats but so far I'm thinking Seattle is a notch above. It also seems cheaper over there for some reason.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

LotusBlossom wrote: As for the Morton's thing, I've never really been all that impressed. I could probably get the same fare at the Keg Caesars.
Really LB? No offense to anyone but Keg is the crappiest steak for the amount of money paid. Prime rib is edible though.

Now I don't know a darn thing about what a good steak is, but my memory recalls the best steak I ever eaten at a restaurant in Vancity was the $50 aged porterhouse at Morton's. I doggy-bagged the New York side home, reheated it in the microwave (blasphemy!) the next day and it was STILL the best most tenderest steak I ever had. I guess I need to eat more red meat.

I hate to say anything good about Cowtown but their steakhouses are WAY better than here.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hank wrote:Now I don't know a darn thing about what a good steak is...
Please immediately return your handle and avatar to the internet. They have both been revoked........
I hate to say anything good about Cowtown but their steakhouses are WAY better than here.
..... along with your B.C. citizenship. :evil:
2011..... the one that got away.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Eddy can I still reheat my steak in the microwave?
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hank wrote:Eddy can I still reheat my steak in the microwave?
As long as you can still taste the meat and not the heat, I don't see why not.

But Alberta beef is now strictly forbidden.
2011..... the one that got away.