Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by KeyserSoze »

Potatoe1 wrote: Anyway we should include favorite cheap eats in this thread as well IMO.
My favorite cheap eats ($6-10) is hands down a bowl of Japanese ramen (especially when it's cold out)

There are 4 very good places all within a pitching wedge of each other near Robson & Denman.

(Motomachi Shokudo being my favorite, but all 4 are good)
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Ok, so it's not Vancouver, but I know we have a few Island members...

In Victoria for cheap(ish) eats, I highly recommend:

Red Fish Blue Fish, on the wharf just North of the seaplane terminal , for great fish and chips and seafood tacos/cones; and,
I Kyu in Chinatown, north side of Fisgard near the gate. House-made wontons, noodles and gyoza all with great flavour and quality. You can also buy their noodles and dumplings for cooking at home (like Hon's).
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Puck wrote:Ok, so it's not Vancouver, but I know we have a few Island members...

In Victoria for cheap(ish) eats, I highly recommend:

Red Fish Blue Fish, on the wharf just North of the seaplane terminal , for great fish and chips and seafood tacos/cones; and,
I Kyu in Chinatown, north side of Fisgard near the gate. House-made wontons, noodles and gyoza all with great flavour and quality. You can also buy their noodles and dumplings for cooking at home (like Hon's).
Red Fish Blue Fish ....so good.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Went to L'Abattoir in gastown before the game and crap was it good.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

In town last week,

Made the obligatory trip to Ajisai. Not as good as previous visits, chef's night off and the three of us under the weather with colds, but still good food, great service and our 20 month old son eating his sashimi, rolls and drinking his miso was a huge it throughout the restaurant.

Cru for a celebratory dinner for Mrs Topper and I. Selected from the prix fixe menu, carpaccio, ling cod, goat cheese cheesecake for me, poached pear, tuna, creame brulee for the Mrs. Split a plate of duck confit between our mains and desert. Fantastic! Mrs Topper is still raving about the lentils accompanying her tuna. We had our server pair wines with each course and a very, very enjoyable evening. http://www.cru.ca/s_2.asp

Primos for a get together with an old friend. I hadn't been before, but friends are regulars. Ceviche was fresh and wonderful and the best Mexican food I've had in Vancouver. While still leaning towards the well known tex-mex fair, there were a couple of regional Mexican gems on the menu. Good food, good friends.

A company we do a lot of business with had their annual Xmas dinner for clients at Sun Sui Wah. 11 courses, lots of cheap wine exactly as expected....
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:In town last week,

Made the obligatory trip to Ajisai. Not as good as previous visits, chef's night off and the three of us under the weather with colds, but still good food, great service and our 20 month old son eating his sashimi, rolls and drinking his miso was a huge it throughout the restaurant.

Cru for a celebratory dinner for Mrs Topper and I. Selected from the prix fixe menu, carpaccio, ling cod, goat cheese cheesecake for me, poached pear, tuna, creame brulee for the Mrs. Split a plate of duck confit between our mains and desert. Fantastic! Mrs Topper is still raving about the lentils accompanying her tuna. We had our server pair wines with each course and a very, very enjoyable evening. http://www.cru.ca/s_2.asp

Primos for a get together with an old friend. I hadn't been before, but friends are regulars. Ceviche was fresh and wonderful and the best Mexican food I've had in Vancouver. While still leaning towards the well known tex-mex fair, there were a couple of regional Mexican gems on the menu. Good food, good friends.

A company we do a lot of business with had their annual Xmas dinner for clients at Sun Sui Wah. 11 courses, lots of cheap wine exactly as expected....
Lil Blossom tried Ajisai for the first time and we made her order for us in Japanese. How impressed they all were when they see a Geijing (sp) speak it so well.

Cru looks great for the price.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LotusBlossom wrote:Cru looks great for the price.
Until you start buying wine by the glass to pair with each course. With a healthy tip we were out of there for about $250. Cab there and back, baby sitter $350 for the night.

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:
Until you start buying wine by the glass to pair with each course. With a healthy tip we were out of there for about $250. Cab there and back, baby sitter $350 for the night.
That's always what kills are the pairings but man aren't most of them worth it. When Mr.LB got a new position with his company, a $450 night at West was a great way to celebrate, most of that was of course, the wine :). Speaking of West, their bar staff is awesome. Got really creative with some of the drinks we had after dinner. I'd go back just to sit at the bar and get expert mixologists creating cool bevvies.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Foodwise, I'd put Cru in the same league as West, and I haven't been to West since Hawksworth left.

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:
Enough to feed a 1000 African kids in Africa for a few days. ;)

Anyways you need a thread just dedicated to your recipes! :nod:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Potatoe1 wrote:Went to L'Abattoir in gastown before the game and crap was it good.
Pot, I went there on the 30th because I don't hit DT on NYE and man it was good. Rich, but very good.

Great wine pairings our server chose as well.

Mmm.. rabbit.
Aurora
AHL Prospect

Post by Aurora »

Mui Ngo Gai on Kingsway (near Victoria). Used to be on Nanaimo. Great vietnamese food, awesome staff (i know em by name i go there so much). They have some of the best pork spring rolls in town and a plethora of other great food. I'd say it's one of my favourite places to eat in the city. It's pretty cheap, and has the classic "pictures of food on the menu" classiness you'd expect but i'm telling you its awesome stuff. The beef satay (D9 - yeah, i order from there a lot - although their new place is nice inside so i ought to sit down now!) is freaking awesome. Their soups are insanely good, so flavourful. it's not great for parking but they do have a few spots in the back and you can use their back entrance (although it seems creepy).

I used to live within throwing distance of the place... i miss it so.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Aurora wrote:Mui Ngo Gai on Kingsway (near Victoria). Used to be on Nanaimo. Great vietnamese food, awesome staff (i know em by name i go there so much). They have some of the best pork spring rolls in town and a plethora of other great food. I'd say it's one of my favourite places to eat in the city. It's pretty cheap, and has the classic "pictures of food on the menu" classiness you'd expect but i'm telling you its awesome stuff. The beef satay (D9 - yeah, i order from there a lot - although their new place is nice inside so i ought to sit down now!) is freaking awesome. Their soups are insanely good, so flavourful. it's not great for parking but they do have a few spots in the back and you can use their back entrance (although it seems creepy).

Nice, I'm an old Cambie Pho girl, and he moved his restaurant to Main street and King Ed when the Skytrain excavating went down on the Cambie corridor. Same type of deal, nice pictures to explain what it is... the broth of the Pho is so good, I don't have to add much to it. :D
Aurora
AHL Prospect

Post by Aurora »

i'm trying to remember the name of this awesome cambodian/vietnamese place in chinatown where they serve a dish called butter beef that is basically asian carpaccio. I think it's called Phnom Phen (duh i guess). It looks like a terrifying hole in the wall but its packed solid every time i go. The P-Tips are great there too. Seriously, it looks like a scary hole in the wall but was so tasty i opted to knowingly consume a big plate of raw beef there - it was worth the chance that i might shit myself later that evening (i didn't btw).
Aurora
AHL Prospect

Post by Aurora »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Aurora wrote:Mui Ngo Gai on Kingsway (near Victoria). Used to be on Nanaimo. Great vietnamese food, awesome staff (i know em by name i go there so much). They have some of the best pork spring rolls in town and a plethora of other great food. I'd say it's one of my favourite places to eat in the city. It's pretty cheap, and has the classic "pictures of food on the menu" classiness you'd expect but i'm telling you its awesome stuff. The beef satay (D9 - yeah, i order from there a lot - although their new place is nice inside so i ought to sit down now!) is freaking awesome. Their soups are insanely good, so flavourful. it's not great for parking but they do have a few spots in the back and you can use their back entrance (although it seems creepy).

Nice, I'm an old Cambie Pho girl, and he moved his restaurant to Main street and King Ed when the Skytrain excavating went down on the Cambie corridor. Same type of deal, nice pictures to explain what it is... the broth of the Pho is so good, I don't have to add much to it. :D

the old place they had on nanaimo looked like a set from a high school production of miss saigon. Straw bamboo huts and fake plastic fruit hanging from the ceiling. The new place is totally different - which they needed. The Saigon ambience was lacking. I'm actually excited to go dine in the new place. IT's not a great location so they aren't finding it terribly easy to get traffic in there but they still have a lot of loyal followers. And their staff is super sweet, they warm the place up.