Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by LotusBlossom »

Puck wrote:Chambar... I've heard good things about that place before. Anybody know if they pour any of the serious lambics (Oud Beersel, Drie Fonteinen, Cantillon, Boon, Girardin)? I love that stuff, but it's super rare in BC.

Its 9:43AM and I'm dying for a beer and some frites...
Chambar is your place my friend...if you're in the downtown core :)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

What are the odds of finding a place to eat without long waits during the Oly's?

This Chamber place, is it pricey?
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Robert wrote:What are the odds of finding a place to eat without long waits during the Oly's?

This Chamber place, is it pricey?
Actually not really.
CHAMBAR
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Another couple of suggestions for the beer geeks:
Stellas-they have a location on Commercial Drive and one on Main,lots of Belgium beer and frites there Puck.
Also St.Augustines also on the drive has a huge micro-brewery menu,can't speak for their food(other than yam fries :oops: )but the beer is great.
The ALIBI room in gastown is also stocked with some great hard to find beer.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

This is a new sports bar opening on Granville street across from The Edge Granville. (Between Davie and Helmecken)

INFO on THE FORUM

Tonight the TEAM 1040 will be there post game and broadcast from there.

New place, a sports bar much needed on Granville (lots of TV).

It's the old Buffalo Club for you former and present club go'ers.

And Dangler, Stella's is Mr.LB's fave haunt for beer...raves about it, although I have yet to join him there.
Last edited by LotusBlossom on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Thanks for the info. Now if I can actually find the time to get to any of these spots between volunteer shifts, that would be great. BTW, I checked out Chambar's beer list and waay down at the bottom they have the sour stuff. There are a couple of good ones, particularly Petrus Aged Pale.
:cheers:
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Just a place to look up in London. Just a stones throw from Trafalgar square. Gordon's Wine bar. Its in what looks like an old bomb shelter or something like that. It was really a cool place, if you are into wine. Then they have a sort of almost tapas bar. We juts had Wine and Cheese. It was terrific. Very much want to go back there when i get back to London.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Broda wrote:Just a place to look up in London. Just a stones throw from Trafalgar square. Gordon's Wine bar. Its in what looks like an old bomb shelter or something like that. It was really a cool place, if you are into wine. Then they have a sort of almost tapas bar. We juts had Wine and Cheese. It was terrific. Very much want to go back there when i get back to London.
That's the ONE place my cousin took me because he knows I'm such a wine-o! lol haha yeah very cool place.

Salt is somewhat like that...just bigger.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Broda wrote:Just a place to look up in London. Just a stones throw from Trafalgar square. Gordon's Wine bar. Its in what looks like an old bomb shelter or something like that. It was really a cool place, if you are into wine. Then they have a sort of almost tapas bar. We juts had Wine and Cheese. It was terrific. Very much want to go back there when i get back to London.
Thanks for the suggestion Broda. I'll check it out. Sure I wish I was in Vancouver today though! I can't believe how man friends of mine are somehow involved in the opening ceremonies. I've got a friend dancing in it tonight! I really wish I could be part of the fervour. It must be quite something to be home right now.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Broda wrote: I'm curious though about Sushi, what are the best places to go downtown? I know my usual places but I have a friend coming and she is wanting to know a good place downtown. I think its Guu in gastown... maybe its not there anymore... but yeah looking for a place that would be good and possibly even slightly pretentious... ha.
There is a place called Tsunami Sushi, which is more about the gimmicky sushi boats than the food itself... which is a shame because ever since they changed owners it's all gone downhill. It's still not a bad place to go but the quality is inconsistent. It definitely wasn't what it was five, ten years ago. If you're not too concerned about the food but more the experience it's not bad. At its peak they had the CBC hockey people go there after their broadcasts. I've seen Ron MacLean there more than once.

If you don't mind venturing out of downtown, Ajisai in Kerrisdale is one of the best rated in the city. It's extremely pricey but the rice is good and the fish is super fresh.

Shota in Kerrisdale is also a place where students and business people frequent during lunch and it's not bad. It's not in Ajisai's class but it is cheaper.
LotusBlossum wrote:Know anything about possible Malaysian places to eat?
Banana Leaf is by far the best, in my opinion. It's on Broadway and it's very authentic. It's not Malaysian per se but it's very Southeast Asian.

Tropika is another that's pretty good, not as good as Banana Leaf though. It's a chain and you might see one or two, but the best one is in Aberdeen Centre. Also quite authentic and tasty.

If anyone's looking for some good Italian (I always am), there's a good one on West 10th and Alma (?) called Some Kinda Pasta. I've been eating there since I was a kid so I'm probably biased, but the atmosphere and food is great. Nothing too fancy but worth a visit, I think. Try their BBQ salmon sauce... it's amazing.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

jchockey wrote: If you don't mind venturing out of downtown, Ajisai in Kerrisdale is one of the best rated in the city. It's extremely pricey but the rice is good and the fish is super fresh.
Ajisai is (in my opinion) the best Sushi place in Vancouver. Very good and a little pricey for sure, but if you're willing to spend a bit more then that is the place. It is next to London Drugs just in a walkway off of 42nd. There are others in Kerrisdale bigger and more popular, but certainly not better. Irashai Sushi on 41st is pretty good too (between vine and yew). Some people like Shota, but it is a bit pricey, bigger (in terms of the restaurant) and the service can be horrific. (I hate Shota, but not because the food is bad, more because of the really bad experiences when it came to service).

Other good place in Kerrisdale is the Red Onion on 41st. A good burger joint.

The cheapest place for Sushi in Kerrisdale is Sushi King next to White Spot on West Boulevard.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

dr.dork wrote:
jchockey wrote: If you don't mind venturing out of downtown, Ajisai in Kerrisdale is one of the best rated in the city. It's extremely pricey but the rice is good and the fish is super fresh.
Ajisai is (in my opinion) the best Sushi place in Vancouver. Very good and a little pricey for sure, but if you're willing to spend a bit more then that is the place. It is next to London Drugs just in a walkway off of 42nd. There are others in Kerrisdale bigger and more popular, but certainly not better. Irashai Sushi on 41st is pretty good too (between vine and yew). Some people like Shota, but it is a bit pricey, bigger (in terms of the restaurant) and the service can be horrific. (I hate Shota, but not because the food is bad, more because of the really bad experiences when it came to service).

The cheapest place for Sushi in Kerrisdale is Sushi King next to White Spot on West Boulevard.
I always wanted to know about that place... I am hardly ever in Kerrisdale except when my daughter has sports out that way. Sounds like a place to check out with Mr. LB this week in between our Olympic events.

Thanks for the tip :)

As for some good Italian, downtown would be Zefferelli's (just about the original Cactus Club on Robson) and one of my fave places to go is probably the original Anducci's out in Lougheed Mall area. Not sure when it opened up as a chain, but I've been to two of their other locations and by far, the one in Lougheed is still my favourite. Not to mention, I like pictures in the bathrooms ;).

Malaysian food ...I was asking more in London, England, ;) but I agree Banana Leaf on W. Broadway is the shiznit. I like Tropika too and yeah the one in Aberdeen is the best one of the bunch.

For those that haven't heard, The Cannery is closing down in March. They are not relocating or reopening. For those who have not yet to experience the Cannery, I suggest that you make a trip down there before they shut it all down. I need to hit that place up next week for lunch when I have some holiday time and have the sable fish.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

dr.dork wrote:
YES!!! It's a fantastic place and the kitchen is open so the fresh smell of burger patties always gets to ya... their hot dogs are great too.

Vera's Burger Shack is quite popular too. It's a chain but it's good too. There was one on Main St. that was half decent, although the name seems to escape me at the moment... whatever, it's a distant third compared to Red Onion and Vera's.

Also forgot, anyone looking for Indian food can look into Handi Cuisine. There's one on Dunbar St. on the west side and one in North Vancouver. The prices aren't outrageous and it's good.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Mmmm Red Onion is fantastic. I remember taking a long lunch and heading there. Worth it. Great food.

I like Vera's as well, good burger and beer deal.

There are some pretty good places on Main and just off it.

The Distillery District of Vancouver is going through a Renaissance of sorts and glad to see it.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

i know it's not exactly high class but.......flying wedge pizza and fatburger are taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson