Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Re: Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

Post by rockalt »

Inception's one of the best movies I've seen. Seen it twice in theatres now - liked it that much. Used to do that all the time when I was a kid but then developed a brain and realized it's pretty boring to watch movies again so shortly after the first viewing. Well I watched Inception twice in once week and I was still thoroughly entertained the second time.

I'm sure there will be someone on here that won't like it but I would think that the majority will. All I could think 20 minutes into the film was, "Good Lord, Christopher Nolan is a brilliant film maker." After an hour it became, "Seriously, is this man even capable of making a bad film?" After two hours I found myself wondering if this wasn't the best film I'd ever seen, but then again, I knew I was simply getting ahead of myself.

I'm not much of an action film kind of guy anymore and yet I found myself glued to the screen throughout the course of the film. I think this is why this movie works so well - has the complexity and thoughtfulness of an art-house film combined with the entertainment value of a great popcorn hollywood flick.

Most criticisms I've read about the film fall into two categories. 1) Dumb people who don't like to think. 2) Elitist artsy types who resent its commercial characteristics. Hahaha, obviously I'm completely biased but seriously that's what I feel it comes down to. If you're feeling lazy and don't want to think too much, then this film is not worth seeing. Conversely, if you're looking for a film to really challenge the boundaries of film making, then you will likely be disappointed. I've heard that for such an inventive concept, Inception falls flat for its inability to break free from social conventions and truly delve into the complexities of the human psyche/condition - in other words it's not a classic art-house film!

Don't believe the hype, of course. The film will inevitably fall prey to all the hype it has received. Just go in with an open mind. Even if you don't like it, I doubt you'll hate it. No matter your opinion, at least it's a well put together film. At least you won't find yourself trying to stab your left arm out of pure hatred for its awfulness. Just my thoughts.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Good review - I'll go so far as to say it's in my top 5. It's really well thought out - it took him over 9 years to write it, but it's brainy or too hard to follow. And to me that's the magic of it. It's different without being weird.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Can't remember the last time I went to the movies before I went to see Inception...

VERY good movie. Well put-together movie in all aspects. Not a DiCaprio fan, but he did a very good job. Funny thing is, I didn't know if I was in a mind-bender movie, a Bond flick or the Matrix depending on the part of the movie but it all meshed together in a way that made sense. Film kind of reminded me of Gibson's book Neuromancer in some ways.

Worth it to see it, from a guy who hates shelling out that kind of money on a movie.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Not really a Summer movie but I was comped tickets to a really excellent movie; The Town last week at the Film Festival here. I think it's out at the regular theatre now too.
Very good flick about Boston boyz on the lam. Hockey and sports tie-in too.
Affleck might not have made the best movie choices over the years but he is one hell of a budding director. Excellent fare.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

TRON - The Legacy in 3D

So I went opening night with the family. I had to watch the original one the week prior to get into the mood of it, but it was done well enough for those that didn't watch the old one could follow and understand (to an extent).

The 3D wasn't over-done like some movies made for 3D and it tied in right with the scenes.

Not a bad story-line. A small cameo during the board meeting has me thinking another sequel.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Everyone that I know that's seen X-Men First Class is saying it's a surprisingly good movie! I've actually been told it's really good. Rotten Tomato's gives it 87% fresh and 89% of those that saw the movie give it a thumb's up!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ODB wrote:Everyone that I know that's seen X-Men First Class is saying it's a surprisingly good movie! I've actually been told it's really good. Rotten Tomato's gives it 87% fresh and 89% of those that saw the movie give it a thumb's up!
I was pleasantly surprised.

Wow, looks like the exile has started.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote:Everyone that I know that's seen X-Men First Class is saying it's a surprisingly good movie! I've actually been told it's really good. Rotten Tomato's gives it 87% fresh and 89% of those that saw the movie give it a thumb's up!
Saw it last weekend, thought it was superb (that British actor from Inglourious Basterds did a great job).

Going to see Super 8 tonight!

Gotta love sci-fi....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well Super 8 was alotta fun (sheesh talk about yer subterranean aliens eh wot?).

It was like a 70's sci-fi with modern special effects.

Liked it, liked X-Men more....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Phillip
AHL Prospect

Post by Phillip »

Strangelove wrote:
Saw it last weekend, thought it was superb (that British actor from Inglourious Basterds did a great job).
LT Archie Hitchcox 8-)
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Hummm buzz around Transformers 3 is rather impressive! They're projection 180+ by Tuesday?

That seems ambitious if you ask me but who knows.

BTW, as far as I'm concerned this summers movies suck ass. Some are bound to be good but by and large they'll all blow compared to next summer's offerings.

The Dark Knight Rises!

Bane... Catwomen... it will be epic!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I saw Thor when it came out and it was 'ok' - a good rental, but that's about it. The 3D darkened up an already dark movie and almost made it unwatchable. Of course, the 3D wasn't needed in the first place.

Might check out X-men (or wait on Netflix).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Cornuck wrote:I saw Thor when it came out and it was 'ok' - a good rental, but that's about it. The 3D darkened up an already dark movie and almost made it unwatchable. Of course, the 3D wasn't needed in the first place.

Might check out X-men (or wait on Netflix).
Most movies (Thor and Green Lantern) have the 3D added in post production. It doesn't come across nearly as good as Avatar did and Transformers 3 will as those films were shot in 3D. I smoked a joint and went and saw Avatar in Imax 3D. For a while I wanted to leave the theater. It was almost too much! :mex:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I saw avatar in in imax 3d also..... I never wanted to leave or have it be over....and I was straight as an arrow....maybe a littl 70's residual....lofl
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote: I smoked a joint and went and saw Avatar in Imax 3D. For a while I wanted to leave the theater. It was almost too much!
Was it because you suddenly realized how much you were digging the love scene?

____
Try to focus on someday.