Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

Post by Arachnid »

Going to the midnight IMAX showing of Prometheus this week, I snuck into the Restricted rated Alien when I was 14. Sacred the extratestical outta me and turned me into an adult Sci-Fi junkie (couldn't watch Star Trek or Star Wars after that...).

I do the premiere thing for all the Lord of the Ring films, Bladerunner (Directors cut). Not a lot of movies get me this excited *touches his third nipple while typing that...* :eh:

Oh yeah, I get a cool poster too instead of a Mickey-D toy (not there's anything wrong with Pixar marketing swag there...)

Watched The Grey on the big wall screen this weekend and thought is wasn't bad except by the terrible CGI wolves.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Going to Avengers tonight.

:thumbs:
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Arachnid wrote:
Watched The Grey on the big wall screen this weekend and thought is wasn't bad except by the terrible CGI wolves.
Did you watch the credits... till the very end?

Do you know... who won???

Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day....

Cut to black!

ETA, Prometheus won't beat Batman or Avengers but it looks like it could be the best movie of the summer. The 3D trailer before Avengers looked AWESOME! IMAX... whoa!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:Farhan's girlfriend:

:D
Oooooh, a southpaw, kinky.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ODB wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Did you watch the credits... till the very end?

Do you know... who won???

Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day....

Cut to black!

ETA, Prometheus won't beat Batman or Avengers but it looks like it could be the best movie of the summer. The 3D trailer before Avengers looked AWESOME! IMAX... whoa!
Yeah, something told me (a howling in the back of my brain...) to watch to the end of credits, probably the way it ended...or after years of staying at the end of a film in theatres because you knew/heard there was more to the story (years of kid's Pixar movies....)

I liked the ending, and when an Alpha meets an Alpha.... not to spoil it for others..... 8-)

Will Prometheus make more money than the other two? Nope. It may be the best bang for your buck though, and not a chick flick like Avengers.... :drink:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arachnid wrote: Will Prometheus make more money than the other two? Nope. It may be the best bang for your buck though, and not a chick flick like Avengers.... :drink:
Much more appropriate for those that have or used to have three testicles I guess.

:mrgreen:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Summer and some arn't.... ;)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Avengers was one of the most entertaining movies I have seen in quite a while. It wasn't necessarily the best movie I've seen, but it was a fun movie to watch. Hulk put it over the top.

MIB 3 was as good as MIB and better than MIB 2. Not outstanding, but not disdainful by any stretch.

Snow White & The Huntsman was actually quite well done, and I would have given it 4/5 if not for the abysmal casting choice of Kristen Stewart as Snow White. Hemsworth was excellent, Theron was perfect in her role. The only thing Stewart is good at so far as an actress is laying "dead" somewhere and crying. My wife said it best, she has absolutely zero personality on screen. The end was a little too cliche too.....

Promethues and Rises are looking promising.....
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Got my extremely elite expensive very important peeps movie tix today for Prometheus....$18....as is customary starting with the LotR trilogy (and my birfday) Belgians! (good solid Euro draft menu http://towncrierpub.ca/beer.html) are in order before the 12:15 AM start time...

http://www.cineplex.com/Microsite/Prome ... ncetickets

....don't think I'll have to worry about any annoying kids (allegedly) 8-)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

EEEVIP tix!!

Nice.

I must have bought the same ones for the Avengers cause I paid just as much at Langley Colossus. The seats were really nice though, new and still cushiony, fake leather and they reclined! The UltraAVX 3D.

Really liked the movie, escapism at it's finest.

The sound pumped out of the speakers in the theatres is so loud I don't think I would have heard a child if there was one.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:EEEVIP tix!!

Nice.

I must have bought the same ones for the Avengers cause I paid just as much at Langley Colossus. The seats were really nice though, new and still cushiony, fake leather and they reclined! The UltraAVX 3D.

Really liked the movie, escapism at it's finest.

The sound pumped out of the speakers in the theatres is so loud I don't think I would have heard a child if there was one.
yeah, have a pretty decent home theatre set-up but for a real good escape you can't beat the UltraAVX 3D, we got good seats too...

just won't get a bj like at home :eh:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Arachnid wrote:
yeah, have a pretty decent home theatre set-up
Wait, I thought you were a broke ass hippie ?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
yeah, have a pretty decent home theatre set-up
Wait, I thought you were a broke ass hippie ?
Oh yeah :lol: ...I have a terrible home theatre with a rabbit ears and a dial knob TV with a VHS for a PVR and a 78 RPM turntable....thick records and an 8-track....ahhhh fuck it, I canna lie, I have a 5.1 surround system. I've been a full-time student the last 3 years so I haven't had a lot to spend on it...but Potter (<see wot) it's not how much money you have/make it's how you spend/invest it...ama righ? ama righ? Uh yeah, i was smart and bought all my equipment used on craigs and the HD projector was 'donated' to me from one of my corporate AV buddies.... :rockin:
I am debt free thanks to a grant for school and after studying sustainable architecture projects starting to roll..butt I is an ass hippie...broke?...maybe..... :drink:

Spidey's AV Equipment:

Sony STR-DA5400ES A/V Receiver
PSB Imagine Surround 5.1 speakers
Canon LV-7210 HD 720p Projector
LG LST 3510A DVD & Digital Tuner
Apple TV
Monster Cables and connects

Got all the above for under 2 grand.
Not bad for a brokeass hippie student eh?! And for an audiophile who relishes separates I think going to a receiver was a real big step from Audio Nirvana snobbery....

I do not have cable as most stuff is shyte on there...I do have an extensive DVD collection of my favourite classics including some Criterion Collection (Brazil, Citizen Kane...)....don't watch a lot of television but a brilliant movie on a cold or rainy night

I download the few shows I do watch or buy the set or rent (we have a great independent video shop near us), I have free over-the-air HDTV (watching game 4 on it right now). If it's a big game like Germany & Portugal on Saturday we go to a great pub with real soccer fans Like the Mighty Red at a good English pub and not those loser Man U's (maybe little Portugal....although the German consulate is hosting an all you can drink Krombacher and eat at Le Marche.... 8-) Goooooooo Deutschland!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Arachnid wrote: Spidey's AV Equipment:

Sony STR-DA5400ES A/V Receiver
PSB Imagine Surround 5.1 speakers
Canon LV-7210 HD 720p Projector
LG LST 3510A DVD & Digital Tuner
Apple TV
Monster Cables and connects
So did you kill the drivers of the truck after they sold all that to ya for less than $2G? :look:
:P

What're your thoughts on Apple TV?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote: What're your thoughts on Apple TV?
I've had mine for a a while a now and really like it. I use it mostly for Netflix and NHL replays. The only thing that I don't like is that when you buy a movie from their service, it isn't available right away. It has to load a bunch of it first. We don't have super fast DSL down here, so buffering can be a problem some times.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."