Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:Saw Horrible Bosses last night mostly due to the solid ratings at Rotten Tomatoes.

Sorry, but this film DID NOT measure up to Strangelove's standards!

OMG, the unmitigated CRAP they pass off as "comedy" these days....
Not that solid of ratings :?

Come'n Doc, seeing Jen skank it like she should have done with Bradley was worth it even if it wasn't that funny 8-)

Television has become the medium for risk and humour these days. With black comedies like Weeds, Curb and Breaking Bad making movies look like canned laughter of the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Wilfred is a good new one to check out, it stars Christapuppie :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Took my kid to Cars 2!

Movie sucked (when compared to the first one) but he enjoyed the theater so all in all it was a good time.

Theater concession is robbery. They might as well just fuck a guy in the ass... :mex:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

ODB wrote:Took my kid to Cars 2!

Movie sucked (when compared to the first one) but he enjoyed the theater so all in all it was a good time.

Theater concession is robbery. They might as well just fuck a guy in the ass... :mex:
Yah its all about the kids:....and fucking dads :sly:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

At least he got to see what a real theatre is and not daddy's wannabe experience :P
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I liked the first one, but when I saw the ads for the sequel, it just looked horrible. They made it look like Speed Racer 2.

Watched Rango again the other night in HD - amazing animation and a decent movie.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote: Theater concession is robbery. They might as well just fuck a guy in the ass... :mex:
NO DOUBT... fuckers. Time to start smuggling in popcorn machines and liquid refreshments! They can't stop us all...

My MAIN pet peeve is commercials though! Seriously. Hey, I mute commercials at home, the only time I ever see a one is.... AT THE MOVIES.... at a billion decibles in dolby sound!! :evil:

This after a shakedown at the ticket booth and an all-out raping at the concession stand! GREAT, take all my easily-earned money AND BRAINWASH ME WITH YER GODDAMNED COMMERCIALS AS WELL!!! :crazy:

BTW, ever smell a fart at a movie theatre and try to sniff out the culprit? :look:

One last thing. I love the superscreen movies they have these days BUT

Am I the only one who doesn't get why... the bigger they make em... the further folks like to sit towards the back? Am I missing something here?? Why not make em 100 feet high and sit 3 blocks away! (reminds me of the stupid geek who tried to sell me a 32 inch computer monitor - "Just slide it to the back of your desk" :evil: ). Listen, my favorite spot is in the middle of the third row (last row in that front section) but no one I go to the movies with will ablige me. I want the FULL effect of that giant screen PLEASE. But nope. I also like the way the those high seat-backs support my neck as I sink in looking ever-so-slightly upwards...

Well we got to the movie early the other night and sat about half-way up. I watched as the theatre filled up. That front section remained empty until the rest of the place was packed. I'm sitting there looking at my favorite seats thinking "Yup, I'm the only sane person at this movie!". Later this was confirmed to me when I noticed I was the only one plugging his ears during the commercials. So yeah, I'm sitting there as sane as a judge visiting a looney bin. Now get this: Halfway through the movie everyone looks at ME as if I was the crazy one for standing up, looking around and yelling "Okay, who's doing the farting??!!..... it's YOU isn't it lady??" :evil:

OMG some of the looks I got! So I say "Oh I get it, you people LOVE the smell of her farts!! AND fucking commercials! .... AND taking up the ass at the snack bar!! Seriously, I'm nuts?? Hello: I'm an internet psychiatrist... ya losers!!"

Okay, I may have imagined some of that but guys, it's a crazy freaking world we live in....
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote:
ODB wrote: Theater concession is robbery. They might as well just fuck a guy in the ass... :mex:
NO DOUBT... fuckers. Time to start smuggling in popcorn machines and liquid refreshments! They can't stop us all...

My MAIN pet peeve is commercials though! Seriously. Hey, I mute commercials at home, the only time I ever see a one is.... AT THE MOVIES.... at a billion decibles in dolby sound!! :evil:

This after a shakedown at the ticket booth and an all-out raping at the concession stand! GREAT, take all my easily-earned money AND BRAINWASH ME WITH YER GODDAMNED COMMERCIALS AS WELL!!! :crazy:

BTW, ever smell a fart at a movie theatre and try to sniff out the culprit? :look:

Am I the only one who doesn't get why... the bigger they make em... the further folks like to sit towards the back? Am I missing something here?? Why not make em 100 feet high and sit 3 blocks away! (reminds me of the stupid geek who tried to sell me a 32 inch computer monitor - "Just slide it to the back of your desk" :evil: ). Listen, my favorite spot is in the middle of the third row (last row in that front section) but no one I go to the movies with will ablige me. I want the FULL effect of that giant screen PLEASE. But nope. I also like the way the those high seat-backs support my neck as I sink in looking ever-so-slightly upwards...

Well we got to the movie early the other night and sat about half-way up. I watched as the theatre filled up. That front section remained empty until the rest of the place was packed. I'm sitting there looking at my favorite seats thinking "Yup, I'm the only sane person at this movie!". Later this was confirmed to me when I noticed I was the only one plugging his ears during the commercials. So yeah, I'm sitting there as sane as a judge visiting a looney bin. Now get this: Halfway through the movie everyone looks at ME as if I was the crazy one for standing up, looking around and yelling "Okay, who's doing the farting??!!..... it's YOU isn't it lady??" :evil:

OMG some of the looks I got! So I say "Oh I get it, you people LOVE the smell of her farts!! AND fucking commercials! .... AND taking up the ass at the snack bar!! Seriously, I'm nuts?? Hello: I'm an internet psychiatrist... ya losers!!"

Okay, I may have imagined some of that but guys, it's a crazy freaking world we live in....

these are the kinds of Barr & grill posts that are priceless...frikken Doc...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

these are the kinds of Barr & grill posts that are priceless...frikken Doc...
Is that subjective rats? :D

I agree, a-fucking-men for the head loonie 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

these are the kinds of Barr & grill posts that are priceless...frikken Doc...[/quote]

I agree, a-fucking-men for the head loonie 8-)[/quote]

while it does have a level of subjectivity to it, which may or may not invalidate my claim...I believe firmly that an objectively based statement will stand on its own merits...:0
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Tropic of Thunder is another one of my all-time favorites (Kurt Lazarus/Lincoln Osiris is one of my favorite movie characters of all-time! ROFL).
Gotta agree, superb ebonics!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: Come'n Doc, seeing Jen skank it like she should have done with Bradley was worth it even if it wasn't that funny 8-)
Not enough skanking for Strangelove's standards.

Frustrating actually!

Butt I did manage to relieve said frustrations after researching her online.... :blush:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:these are the kinds of Barr & grill posts that are priceless...frikken Doc...

I agree, a-fucking-men for the head loonie 8-)

while it does have a level of subjectivity to it, which may or may not invalidate my claim...I believe firmly that an objectively based statement will stand on its own merits...:0
even if the quotes don't! :twisted:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I didn't see anyone's thoughts on Green Lantern here...

Obviously we've all heard/read the reviews, chances of a sequel are slim if you go by the finances alone. Pretty disappointing if you consider that they apparently had 3 scripts in the works and left it wide open for a sequel with the final scene after the credits.

Personally I really enjoyed it.

The only obvious flaws were the lack of development of Mark Strong's character, Sinestro, and the horrible job they did of Parallax. The latter being more grievous as the villain should be handled much better than that, and they completely departed from the comics in regards to Parallax. Other than that it was entertaining, the CG was excellent, they did a good job of setting up the back story, and they introduced the character of Green Lantern effectively. Most of the hard-line critics seemed to forget that Green Lantern is not as well known of a character as Batman, Superman, Wolverine, Captain America, Iron Man..... They needed to take the time on the back story and introduction. They could have spent a few extra minutes on his training and development as a Lantern, but I'm not sure what more they could have done, I mean, it's a power ring. It works by what you think and is as strong as your will. Pretty straight forward. They should have used Sinestro more there and built a bit of the relationship dynamic up between Hal and him.

I think it has the potential to be a very good trilogy opener if the subsequent films are handled correctly. As a stand alone film it is above average and to have any success it will have to have sequels and be judged as the part of a whole, much like Star Wars IV (personally I never liked that first Star Wars movie, and I like it less the more I see it), but without it Empire and Jedi have no platform to stand on.

I guess it will all depend on how it does overseas.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Strangelove wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: Tropic of Thunder is another one of my all-time favorites (Kurt Lazarus/Lincoln Osiris is one of my favorite movie characters of all-time! ROFL).
I pissed myself laughing in the theater when he started quoting the theme song for the Jefferson's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tropic Thunder and The Other Guys are f'cking classics.

Another recent movie which I didn't think was too bad was Prince of Persia. The actor that played Ghandi (can't remember his name right now) was in that. It's amazing that I can't remember his name (too lazy to do a google search), and yet he's one of my favorite actors. He was also in 'Shutter Island'. Great actor!
Narg CC
CC Rookie

Post by Narg CC »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
I pissed myself laughing in the theater when he started quoting the theme song for the Jefferson's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tropic Thunder and The Other Guys are f'cking classics.

Another recent movie which I didn't think was too bad was Prince of Persia. The actor that played Ghandi (can't remember his name right now) was in that. It's amazing that I can't remember his name (too lazy to do a google search), and yet he's one of my favorite actors. He was also in 'Shutter Island'. Great actor!
Ben Kingsley. Shutter Island was a turd. I was really disappointed by it. Okay, turd might be a bit harsh, but it certainly wasn't what I wanted from a Scorsese movie. It was so formulaic, there's almost nothing memorable about it. If I hadn't checked it off my list, I would've probably forgotten I'd seen it.