Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Narg CC wrote: Ben Kingsley. Shutter Island was a turd. I was really disappointed by it. Okay, turd might be a bit harsh, but it certainly wasn't what I wanted from a Scorsese movie. It was so formulaic, there's almost nothing memorable about it. If I hadn't checked it off my list, I would've probably forgotten I'd seen it.
Ahhhh - Kingsley. :) Thank you for reminding me. To be honest, I had absolutely no knowledge of 'Shutter Island' heading into it and so I went in with an unassuming mind. I thought it was pretty good, but many of the people that had read the book were slightly disappointed.

I'm just trying to think of a few movies that I really loved over these past 2 years....

-The Other Guys (as you already know)
-Tropic Thunder (as you already know)
-Thor
-Observe and Report (not the greatest movie out there, but made me laugh)
-The Goods: Live hard and sell hard (see above).
-X-Men First Class
-Law Abiding Citizen
-Paranormal Activity I and II (not the greatest of movies, but I was entertained)

Was a huge fan of Hangover obviously. I actually didn't like Hangover II the first time I saw it (the parallel plot line to the first movie, combined with the unrealisticness of it, turned me off), but I really enjoyed it the 2nd time. I decided to watch it with an open mind and take it for what it was worth.

I'm also really looking forward to watching 'Insiduous' (will be watching tonight). I heard it's scary as shit! I missed it when it came out out to theater a few months ago.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Mëds wrote:I didn't see anyone's thoughts on Green Lantern here...

Obviously we've all heard/read the reviews, chances of a sequel are slim if you go by the finances alone. Pretty disappointing if you consider that they apparently had 3 scripts in the works and left it wide open for a sequel with the final scene after the credits.

Personally I really enjoyed it.

I guess it will all depend on how it does overseas.
I went into the theatre not making much out of it, and came out surprisingly quite pleased as well.

I think Mark Strong makes the perfect Sinestro and thought too he could have been used more and they could have developed that character much more than what they did have.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I saw Green Lantern. I didn't love it but didn't think it was too bad either. I got my money's worth.

I saw Insidious the other day as well. I didn't think it was that scary (a lot of my friend's thought that it was scarier than Paranormal Activity but I disagree).

After I saw Paranormal Activity I, it took me awhile to fall asleep that night. :P
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

The Tree of Life...I think I will change my user name to TreeDude (sorry BD 8-) )

Yeah, so uhhhh on the freak'n hottest day of the year (48! :shock: ) we all decided to take in this Cannes winner....ummmm we really really liked it, just not sure why, hmmmmm warning: don't go unstoned!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Topper wrote:Watched Blue Valentine last night. Starts slow, but great acting, damn enjoyable and a neked Michelle Williams.
Watched it last night! Depressing subject matter but agreed on all accounts. Great acting!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote:Saw Horrible Bosses last night mostly due to the solid ratings at Rotten Tomatoes.

Sorry, but this film DID NOT measure up to Strangelove's standards!

OMG, the unmitigated CRAP they pass off as "comedy" these days....
I have to say something else about this movie!

The name of the Jamie Foxx character was Mutherfucker Jones.

Well that name is still haunting me!

I liked the name. So much so, coming home from the movie (20 min drive from Mission Cineplex) I felt compelled to sing that old Cheech & Chong song "Basketball Jones", substituting the word "basketball" for "mutherfucker". I do solid voice impressions and I tend to remember words-to-songs well. HOWEVER... I made it most of the way through this song until I got... 'The Look'. Wifey was not amused.

So I bit my tongue... for awhile. Then I began singing "Theme from Shaft", changing the words to "Some say that cat Mutherfucker is a BAD MUTHER.... SHUT YO MOUTH!!... da da dum da da dum da da dum dum... da dum dum dum dum dum dum dum". That as far as I got before.... The Look.

I've sung these two songs in the shower every morning since.

(I can sing wotever I like in the shower)

Must admit they chose a very catchy name there....
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

^^^ :thumbs:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Doc, took your advise - y'know cause you're a shrink and all!! 8-)

The wife and I went to Transformers in 3D last night and sat much closer than usual. First row so we could stretch out our legs as there really wasn't much traffic.

Gotta say, not as bad as I thought it would be, especially in 3D. Man there were a couple scenes that looked unreal being that close.

Great escapism BTW, though I'm a big Transformers fan even if there really isn't much of a story. We both loved the movie and probably more so the experience.

We haven't been to see a flick in a long time and had totally forgot that they brought back cheap Tuesdays!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Anyone seen Apes yet? Looks good and I loved the cult of the old one even though it got a little cheesy, decided to go camping instead of escaping reality but will feel like a flick next week probably

In the meantime I recommend http://www.theeconomicsofhappiness.org/ if you feel a little powerless about the economy and politics...act locally vote and with your dollar...f'dem politicians and CEOs right up their butt, who needs them?! :mrgreen:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: Anyone seen Apes yet? Looks good and I loved the cult of the old one even though it got a little cheesy, decided to go camping instead of escaping reality but will feel like a flick next week probably

I love sci-fi and I'll get around to seeing it.

But I hafta say ran across a disturbing news article last night.

I thought it was just a freak thing so googled "is planet of the apes really about black people"...

was SHOCKED to get 25,000+ results!

:shock:

Dumfuks out there really know how to ruin a sci-fi these days....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Anyone seen Apes yet? Looks good and I loved the cult of the old one even though it got a little cheesy, decided to go camping instead of escaping reality but will feel like a flick next week probably

I love sci-fi and I'll get around to seeing it.

But I hafta say ran across a disturbing news article last night.

I thought it was just a freak thing so googled "is planet of the apes really about black people"...

was SHOCKED to get 25,000+ results!

:shock:

Dumfuks out there really know how to ruin a sci-fi these days....
Ummmm....it's not Fiction :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q6vAkwIpcg

You guys are fiction! A mere figment of my (drug addled?! :blush: ) mind :evil:

V.A.L.I.S.

Remember thy name...
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Planet of the Apes was worth watching, I enjoyed it more than the Mark Wahlberg apes movie from a few years ago. Don't bolt out when the credits start rolling, there is a bit more footage after about 30 seconds. I give it about a 7.5-8ish out of 10.

I found it funny that posters on the IMDB page were commenting how this film sets up for possible sequels....NO SHIT IT IS A PREQUEL.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:My Lord of the Rings Blue Ray Extended set shipped today. That should keep me out of the theatres this summer.
Yeah, we're just waiting for a rainy weekend now to do our comfort food and LOTR-athon in BR.
Thank God for lounge style couches for when that happens!

For those of you that live in the Lower Mainland (Metro Vancouver, whatever they call it now) there is a place on the south side of Marine Drive and Boundary Rd. It's called C&L has a great selection of collector DVD (n BluRay) of many series, movies, TV shows, Mangas and lots of foreign and independent film. It's a candy store for movie collectors, like Mr.LB. He has nearly 900 DVD/BluRay (catalogued through a program) that has been collected over the last 10 years or so.

I believe membership is free, and you have to be a member or know one to shop there as a guest. But if you're looking for something in particular that you can't find at your local Rogers Vid, Best Buys or Future Shops, 4/5 times, you'll probably find it here.

Back on topic for summer movies, I'm thinking about checking out "Apes" this weekend, finally. Heard some pretty good reviews from friends, so looks like a dinner and a movie night on Friday perhaps.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Avengers anyone?

I'm such a super hero geek.

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I'm a Scarlett Johansson geek myself...

:sly:
DeLevering since 1999.