Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Summer Movies...what are you gonna see?

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote: What you mean how the Bane was just the rich chicks puppet and the young cop ends up being the new Robin?
:rofl:

Well I guess the cats outta the bag.

I'm not too familiar with Batman comics but what are you thinking ODB, Nightwing??
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: What you mean how the Bane was just the rich chicks puppet and the young cop ends up being the new Robin?
LOL funniest thing you've posted since "I'm Batman". :wink:

Potatoe1 is the Corner's answer to David Letterman:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/fil ... le4415957/
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Have you seen it Doc?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ODB wrote:Thought TDKR was very good. I personally preferred it to The Avengers, though The Avengers was more "fun" if you know what I mean.

Not a single tear jerking moment (SKYO???)!!!

Bane's mask made him hard to understand at times...

I think its right up there with TDK! Ledger... possibly the best villain portrayal ever is hard to top. So TDK by a nose...

Nolan wraps it up niiiiice. Unlike the Wachowskis, who took a fantastic concept and opening film in the Matrix and destroyed it by following it up with two turds (though polished turds, I didn't hate them, just didn't think the second or third films stood up to the first one.) the Batman trilogy is definitely in a league with the greatest trilogy's ever. People can and will argue forever about what is the best but one thing I think is certain is Batman can at least be spoken about as being in the same league as Lord of the Rings.

Two thumbs up and I'll likely go see it on the big screen again. :thumbs:
Completely agree. TDK by a nose. I thought Rises was its equal as far as a movie is concerned, but Ledger put it over the top. Also, as a Batman comic book junkie from way back, I didn't like a few of the liberties Nolan took with the story in order to tie it up as a trilogy and sign off on Batman. I won't discuss further at this point as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who is still waiting to see it.

As trilogies go it is absolutely on the same shelf as LOTR.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Mëds wrote:Completely agree. TDK by a nose. I thought Rises was its equal as far as a movie is concerned, but Ledger put it over the top. Also, as a Batman comic book junkie from way back, I didn't like a few of the liberties Nolan took with the story in order to tie it up as a trilogy and sign off on Batman. I won't discuss further at this point as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who is still waiting to see it.

As trilogies go it is absolutely on the same shelf as LOTR.
I haven't read the comics but it seems to me Nolans adaptation has to be different. Nolan for the first time put the characters into our world. The real world! Obviously the technology used by Batman is not real world but at the same time it is at least plausible. Even Keatons Batman and Batman Returns we done on soundstages. They built Gotham, it was a fictitious universe! Nolan’s was always designed to be real.

The joker's face didn't melt in a chemical accident he painted it up... war paint!

Personally it's one of the reasons I fucking love it. I get that purists might not be thrilled with certain aspects.

Thinking about what was done with rises and oh man, I gotta see it again. It's very very good. I can't say the dark knight is better without seeing rises again. So much going on the first time you just enjoy. The second time is when it will sink in.

Ledger's performance is legendary but Hardy was sick also. Bane's first line in the movie "Or, maybe he’s wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of an airplane.” You hear his voice and just think oh fuck....

I was really disappointed Bane was neutered in a last minute twist!

Oh and another thing. Zimmer's score in this movie is relentless. It drives the movie. Start to finish… amazing. Zimmer’s a lock for an Oscar. So well done!!!
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Aaronp18 wrote:I'm not too familiar with Batman comics but what are you thinking ODB, Nightwing??
I don't think we'll ever know for sure. Nolan's batman had a beginning middle and an end. I don't think WB is going to spin off the franchise. I think we'll see a re-boot likley leading up to the Justice League.

I think the legend ends, meaning during the eight years Batman was gone he became a legend... a story people talked about. Many believed he killed Dent, cops and tried to murder Gordans kid but others knew Batman saved countless lives by capturing the Joker. Many people knew Batman was Gothams protector. At one point a kid ask's John if he thinks "he'll" come back. John says he doesnt know. Bruce Wayne continually rises through out the movie but at the end he's done. He's just a man, a man that's seen too many miles...

Jim Gordon: We were in this together, and then you were gone. Now this evil...rises. The Batman has to come back.
Bruce Wayne: What if he doesn't exist any more?
Jim Gordon: He must. He must.

Wayne fixes the batsignal that was destroyed at the end of the dark knight. He gives John Blake a duffle bag full of the shit he'll need to gain access the batcave and all the toys inside. I think Bruce found someone with an unflappable character to take over. Someone fifteen years younger without the physical damage he's sustained to take over.

One of the main themes of the trilogy is Batman as a symbol. Anyone can be Batman, everyone is Batman (just don't go out wearing hockey pad's and pretend). Bruce Wayne was just a normal guy (though very rich) surround by good people who genuinely wanted to make Gotham a better place.

John finds the batcave and steps on the floor. The legend ends... The Dark Knight Rises...

John will wear the cowl, John will be Batman!
Last edited by ODB on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote:Have you seen it Doc?
Not yet... and yet I feel I HAVE! :lol:

Supposed to see it this weekend.

Does anyone else remember the time many years ago some punk asked Potsi who the hell he thinks he is...

Potski: "I'm Batman".

:lol:

You had to be there, the timing factor, funny shit!
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Strangelove wrote:

Does anyone else remember the time many years ago some punk asked Potsi who the hell he thinks he is...

I hope you didn't read my long posts...

You're going to like it, a lot!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

I hope you didn't read my long posts...

You're going to like it, a lot!
I read every word, not to worry though, I'm STILL gonna like it a lot! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Sorry Doc!

But you will still like it. And perhaps I'm reading it wrong and you'll have a differnt take as it is open for interpatation.
Last edited by ODB on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ODB wrote: John will wear the cowl, John will be Batman!
Wasn't the name Robin mentioned at the end of the movie?

That said a new series based around Robin would be gay so you are probably right.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote:Sorry Doc!

But you will still like it. And perhaps I'm reading it wrong and you've have a differnt take as it is open for interpatation.
Buddy, I'm going to LOVE it! :rockin:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Potatoe1 wrote:
ODB wrote: John will wear the cowl, John will be Batman!
Wasn't the name Robin mentioned at the end of the movie?

That said a new series based around Robin would be gay so you are probably right.
After the events of "Batman R.I.P." and Final Crisis, Dick moves operations to Gotham to protect the city following Bruce's apparent death. Despite Bruce's will instructing him not to, the chaos in Gotham following Bruce's disappearance prompts Dick to take up his mentor's identity once again as Batman. With Bruce's return, Dick once again picked up his previous identity as Nightwing.
So it happened in the comic...

ETA:

and...

I don't think John will be the new Batman. Bruce Wayne will be Batman in the re-boot. I just think Nolan ended it saying Gotham is ok. Batman is there to watch over the city.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote: Wasn't the name Robin mentioned at the end of the movie?

Robin was mentioned as Blake's real name. But as you said having Robin be the main character wouldn't sell.

Having Blake be the new Batman makes sense but I was thinking they may use the moniker Nightwing as opposed to rehashing Batman who is now supposed to be dead. Basically Blake will be Batman's apprentice and take over, something Robin did in some comics (if I'm reading things correctly) and when he was independent of Batman went as Nightwing.

Though the Justice League tie in ODB mentioned seems like a logical step especially with the success of the Avengers and the re-branding of Superman that we'll see next summer.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: Wasn't the name Robin mentioned at the end of the movie?

Robin was mentioned as Blake's real name. But as you said having Robin be the main character wouldn't sell.
Yeah, the fact his first name gets mentioned at the very end makes it pretty clear that he is the boy wonder.

That said a Robin only movie will be a tough sell so they may go in a different direction.