Muzac For Munsters

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Hoss
CC Rookie

Re: Muzac For Munsters

Post by Hoss »

Neko's got a killer voice, but I still think alt country is where old rockers go to get lame.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Speaking of Vancouver talent, anyone else enjoy The Pack AD?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:Speaking of Vancouver talent, anyone else enjoy The Pack AD?
Just watched a few of their vids. Thanks Cornuck. Pretty interesting sound for sure.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote:Hey B'Dude

Thanks for the recommendations...

I gave a listen to some and AA Bondy stands out the most. BoH, not so much but I always give them a few listen before judgement is passed (or the audio hard on kicks in or not 8-) ). Bon Iver ain't bad either.
I knew I heard Fleet Foxes somewhere. Good stuff!
I'm a big fan of an internet radio station called Radio Paradise, out of California. It's always been available to iTunes listeners (and Mac Gurus!) Listener supported it plays an amazing eclectic playlist http://www.radioparadise.com/index.php
Give it a go, some good shyte for sure.
Has fatherhood mellowed the old man or is it working organically with the wood? :P

I have started to appreciate Mark Oliver Everett E! and The Eels a lot more and have picked up a few of their albums. They'll soon be in town and I got tix. One thing about this town is the music scene, whether independent, local or big it attracts all kinds. North X NorthEast was amazing. Saw Fucked Up perform their new punk opera.

Introducing The Procrastinators (kids band name) to as much small venue as I can to counteract his affair with everything The Edge...ahhhh was I that narrow minded as a youth? No, I was of the lucky ones in the seventies with a bro 6 years older that, while my friends had all the Kiss albums, he got me into Zeppelin, Stones, Aerosmith, The Who, Floyd, Bowie...

Can't say my tastes mellowed much, love everything except the sweetest of pop and new cuntry...

:rockin:
Hey nice Spidey, nice to see you liking AA Bondy. His first two albums are well worth the purchase. His new one comes out in September. He's coming back to the Media club in Vancouver in the fall, definitley will be there for that.

Bon Iver's album 'For Emma, Long Ago' is a killer album, highly recommend it.

Currently grooving on Saskatchewan's The Deep Dark Woods new album 'The Place I left Behind' and Richard Buckner's new one 'Our Blood'.

Wilco's new album 'The Whole Love' comes out in September, can't wait.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Per wrote:This 17-yo kid from Umeå was recently named one of the artists you should keep an eye on by TIME magazine:
(just stop when they go to interview, it's all in Swedish, and then she leads the audience in a traditional song...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuft7oCm ... ata_player

Her name is Tove Styrke and she was on Swedish Idol when she was 16. Oddly she came in third, but I doubt anyone remembers who the first and second place people were.... :roll:

Here's a clip from when she was on that show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt2GPXkf ... ata_player

Song from the '70s by Ted Gärdestad. The lyrics begin "the sky is an innocent blue, like eyes when the children are small, that rain drops keep falling like tears from above, is not the stars' fault, darling, I know how it feels, when the bridge to what's safe has been burnt, and even though time has us cornered right now, the sky is an innocent blue."
Some real good music coming out of Sweden these days, weirdly enough. They are like the new British invasion, sorta. I'm a huge fan of Sweden's Jose Gonzalez/Junip (yes, he is Swedish) and the Tallest Man on Earth. Love Jose's cover of the Knife's (another Swedish band) 'Heartbeats'.

Check out Jose covering the Knifes 'Heartbeats' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_4abCWw-w
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Did not know The Tallest Man on Earth was a Swede. And yeah, they are overrepresented in the music scene these days.. especially the indie crowd. Not that's it's a bad thing.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

It's not all good though... Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and the Back Street Boys have all relied on Sweish song writers and producers for their hits... :oops:

Our music exports bring in more dough than our car exports though, which I guess is pretty good.
But there's an awful lot of Canadian music going around too.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hoss wrote:Neko's got a killer voice, but I still think alt country is where old rockers go to get lame.
John Doe, Dave Alvin, Mojo Nixon, Alejandro Escavedo, HankIII
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Per wrote:It's not all good though... Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and the Back Street Boys have all relied on Sweish song writers and producers for their hits... :oops:

Our music exports bring in more dough than our car exports though, which I guess is pretty good.
But there's an awful lot of Canadian music going around too.
Man, is there anything better than getting blazed & wasted on a mid summers night eve at a Parrie wedding and dancing to Abba?!

:eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

Topper wrote:John Doe, Dave Alvin, Mojo Nixon, Alejandro Escavedo, HankIII
I love John Doe. I could forgive him anything. X is an all time fave. Never cared too much about the Williams fam, Alejandro's brother had a pretty killer band, and the Blasters always seemed really boring and borderline rockabilly to me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hoss wrote:
Topper wrote:John Doe, Dave Alvin, Mojo Nixon, Alejandro Escavedo, HankIII
I love John Doe. I could forgive him anything. X is an all time fave. Never cared too much about the Williams fam, Alejandro's brother had a pretty killer band, and the Blasters always seemed really boring and borderline rockabilly to me.
East LA in the mid 70's with the Blaster, Los Lobos, mojo, and X having interchangeable parts. Hell even Jello came down from San Fran to join the fun. Odd Rollins never chimed in.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hoss
CC Rookie

Post by Hoss »

Playing together? Never heard about that. Crazy...
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

I know he's a little mainstream for some of you guys that are really big into the Indy music scene, but I am pretty excited to see Santana tonight at Rogers Arena. I've always been a fan, but I never got to the see him play live.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I was that way with alice cooper....phoenix county fair
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Santana was brilliant! The man says more with his guitar than most people say with words. Danced for most of the concert due to the wicked Latin back-beats.

His opening act was good as well. Michael Franti and Spearhead. I just bought the album on iTunes. Liking it so far.