Muzac For Munsters

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Muzac For Munsters

Post by Betamax »

Arachnid wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Arachnid wrote:I'm not the biggest CD fan. As Young Neil says, it's crap. Hell, even Steve Jobs hated the iPod and listened to vinyl (he said it was never meant as a music device just a listening one).
You should look at lossless digital files like FLAC or ALAC if you're an Apple guy like me 24/192 vinyl rip is da bomb. Better than CDs. You can buy them directly from artists these days like The National and Arcade Fire.
Well, Mr. Young, Neil does have him some pono he's promoting.

re:

http://www.ponomusic.com/

BTW, have you done your own ABX (double blind testing) to determine whether you can hear the difference between a lossless digital file vs. a properly encoded lossy file?

Somthin' to ponder about, EH?
It's a lot like telling the difference between 21 year old Russian girl and a 40 year old cougar with the lights off and Spoon playing on the ol' Hi Fi...

Moot point old stinky bean. Lossless compression for audio is not because they can tell the difference. You can't tell the difference. It's irrelevant. Lossless is for archiving. Preserve your CD audio with pure lossless compression.
Lossy is an approximation of the original.

Good to have you back AlphaMacDaddy ;)
Well, it kinda sounds like James Hellwig's final speech to, uh, the people, really resonated with you, EH?

“No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man’s heart one day beats its final beat. His lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them bleed deeper and something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him and make the running the man did live forever."

What say you? 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Betamax wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Betamax wrote: Well, Mr. Young, Neil does have him some pono he's promoting.

re:

http://www.ponomusic.com/

BTW, have you done your own ABX (double blind testing) to determine whether you can hear the difference between a lossless digital file vs. a properly encoded lossy file?

Somthin' to ponder about, EH?
It's a lot like telling the difference between 21 year old Russian girl and a 40 year old cougar with the lights off and Spoon playing on the ol' Hi Fi...

Moot point old stinky bean. Lossless compression for audio is not because they can tell the difference. You can't tell the difference. It's irrelevant. Lossless is for archiving. Preserve your CD audio with pure lossless compression.
Lossy is an approximation of the original.

Good to have you back AlphaMacDaddy ;)
Well, it kinda sounds like James Hellwig's final speech to, uh, the people, really resonated with you, EH?

“No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man’s heart one day beats its final beat. His lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them bleed deeper and something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him and make the running the man did live forever."

What say you? 8-)
Um...wrestling is kinda gay...not that theirs anything wrong with that...if you like greased up, 'roided men grabing each other in the crotch and squeezing hard, sitting on each others faces then...well then yer boat is floated...

Me?! I prefer the simpler things in life...

and vinyl

btw, Neil Young knows fuck all about Music Engineering...CDs do not degrade the masters by 15%...they are a copy of the best that you can do...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hey BD, you like First Aid Kit? I never hear(see) you post of depressing women folkies (which makes me think you lean towards misogyny living with all those fembots of yours :P ).

Going to be in Denmark and Sweden this Winter and want to check them out. All my aging hipster buds dig 'em.

Is one of your favourite albums really about serial killers? 'plains a lot...

:eh:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah I'm a fan of first aid kit. Have both their albums. Their first album is better than their second, released this year, but still good

Some good chick singer albums released in 2014 by:

Sharon van Etten
The Delines
Frazey Ford

The war on drugs is still my fave album of 2014
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Last Monday night PBS played a documentary on Muscle Shoals. They are showing it again this Monday, look for Independent Lens - Muscle Shoals

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/muscle-shoals/
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Second that remark Topper.

Story of Rick Hall and others.

An awesome documentary if you have even an inkling of interest in music.
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah the history of Muscle Shoals is a musical treasure chest rich in amazing music history

Fun facts - David Hood, the bass player for the Muscle Shoals studio band - The Swampers, who started the Muscle Shoals studio is the father of Patterson Hood - co-founder and co-leader of the Drive-by Truckers. My wife and I saw the Drive-by Truckers documentary a couple years back and Patterson Hood talks a lot about growing up at Muscle Shoals. Some great stories there
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

But who Murdered Oscar?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This is a pretty good list of best albums of 2014 put out by American Songwriters but what the fuck is Taylor Swift doing at 4th? 3 of these things belong together - http://www.americansongwriter.com/2014/ ... bums-2014/

I've got the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th and 10th album in the top 10 on this list. I may have to add Taylor Swift to the exclusive club.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: I've got the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th and 10th album in the top 10 on this list. I may have to add Taylor Swift to the exclusive club.
I saw Ryan Adams when he was in town in October.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

RoyalDude wrote:This is a pretty good list of best albums of 2014 put out by American Songwriters but what the fuck is Taylor Swift doing at 4th? 3 of these things belong together - http://www.americansongwriter.com/2014/ ... bums-2014/

I've got the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th and 10th album in the top 10 on this list. I may have to add Taylor Swift to the exclusive club.
The haters gonna hate, but Taylor's just gonna shake, shake, shake it off, shake it off.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:This is a pretty good list of best albums of 2014 put out by American Songwriters but what the fuck is Taylor Swift doing at 4th? 3 of these things belong together - http://www.americansongwriter.com/2014/ ... bums-2014/

The haters gonna hate, but Taylor's just gonna shake, shake, shake it off, shake it off.
'Erb...are you a fan?! :shock:

Much to my chagrin...I am 1 degree removed from TS :look:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aaronp18 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: I've got the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th and 10th album in the top 10 on this list. I may have to add Taylor Swift to the exclusive club.
I saw Ryan Adams when he was in town in October.
What do u think of the new Adams album? It doesn't work for me, I prefer the alt- country side of his music. He's a talent for sure, but he re-invents himself with every new album. Still think Heartbreaker is his best album. If you like Ryan Adams country sound check out ex Drive-by Trucker - Jason Isbells album from last year - Southeastern. Very good album, old school Ryan Adams vibe.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote:
herb wrote:

'Erb...are you a fan?! :shock:

Much to my chagrin...I am 1 degree removed from TS :look:
Swift is shite, you ever see that Seinfeld episode where Kramer has a seizure whenever Murphy's Law comes on? That's me when Swift comes on.

What's confounding is that some music critics that I don't mind seem to like her, I don't get it.

Anyhow, nice to see my boi the Sturgill Simpson no. 1 on this list - The Sturge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx6csgGkg4
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.