Muzac For Munsters

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Muzac For Munsters

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Unfreakingbelievable talent that fag/stud ;)
I'll have to take your word on that. :hmmm:

By the way, he's also a great musician.
Fine by me my homophobic friend :lol:

BTW if you get the chance go see it. Just phenomenal presentation of his musical journey. Extreme multimedia.

It is still touring so if you ever decide to get out of that blackwater town of yours and git som of dat culture it will be in Chicago this Fall. My kinda town! We can meet for a night of Blues, Micro Beers and Ribs...watch the wife's duke it out over an argument about religion :lol:

We have a family membership at the AGO and spend some good times there (Hey, it was redesigned by one of my favourite architects so it was a no brainer). The teenager was not impressed by the recent visiting Guggenheim exhibit with fucked up pre-WWI surrealists...poor Franz Marc...so talented and a practicing pyscho...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Most of our family and some of our friends are of your religious persuasion and hey we get along pretty good.

My brother is so much like you it's scary!

Actually you and my brother are scary period.

Well you're scarier because you wear a goatee (my bro has had a full beard forever).

We avoid the subjects of religion and politics... just because it's unsettling to others... we actually enjoy them!

Maybe that's because we go waaaay back. :thumbs:

I'm not opposed to getting together with tree-huggers on occaision.

I'm not afraid of axe-murderers.

Might be a wee bit afraid of witches who like to hang with gay folk....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:Most of our family and some of our friends are of your religious persuasion and hey we get along pretty good.

My brother is so much like you it's scary!

Actually you and my brother are scary period.

Well you're scarier because you wear a goatee (my bro has had a full beard forever).

We avoid the subjects of religion and politics... just because it's unsettling to others... we actually enjoy them!

Maybe that's because we go waaaay back. :thumbs:

I'm not opposed to getting together with tree-huggers on occaision.

I'm not afraid of axe-murderers.

Might be a wee bit afraid of witches who like to hang with gay folk....
Your afraid of Wild Fairy?!

My sister is a lot like you. She use to be a really bad girl but is now on the high road to heaven...

Maybe I'm more like you're brother than you think. Never had a goaty but I do have a full beard :thumbs:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: Your afraid of Wild Fairy?!
Love potion + strap-on = extremely rational fear. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Your afraid of Wild Fairy?!
Love potion + strap-on = extremely rational fear. Image
Speaking of which...how's sales bud? Did you make quarter? ;)
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The best of song of all times, digged it out 23 years after release... :mrgreen:
http://youtu.be/qYrxylWs_Us
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Best new albums of 2014 for me

Lost in a Dream - The War on Drugs
Atlas - Real Estate
Strong Feelings - Doug Paisley
Post Tropical - James Vincent McMorrow
Morning Phase - Beck
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:Best new albums of 2014 for me

Lost in a Dream - The War on Drugs
Atlas - Real Estate
Strong Feelings - Doug Paisley
Post Tropical - James Vincent McMorrow
Morning Phase - Beck
Just how big is your CD/iTunes collection Duder?

Or is it hipster vinyl now?! :P
And what do you play this stuff on? As a snobby Elite audiophile I can't listen to MP3s, it's gotta be DAC

I have 2TB full of FLACs of the best albums of the last century :thumbs:

Going to see a good band play next week, will report back after (can't beforehand tell you because I don't want sociopaths stalking me :crazy: ).
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm in the market for a new turntable, a good one. Im not the most up to speed on good turntables, you have any recommendations? Regarding vinyl I only buy my most favourite albums, got a decent collection. Damn well wish I hadn't gotten rid of all my old ones when Compact Discs took over way back. Im a music geek, yes I still buy cd's. I know it's the new world now, I just can't kick the habit. Do you do Record Store Day, Spidey? It's coming up. It's a world wide annual event on the same day, a lot of excellent limited releases on that day. Support your favourite artists, Spideyman.

Check out the new War on Drugs album, it's killer IMO. As well as the new Real Estate if you like that Byrds/REM/Smiths jangly guitar sounds.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm in the market for a new turntable, a good one. Im not the most up to speed on good turntables, you have any recommendations? Regarding vinyl I only buy my most favourite albums, got a decent collection. Damn well wish I hadn't gotten rid of all my old ones when Compact Discs took over way back. Im a music geek, yes I still buy cd's. I know it's the new world now, I just can't kick the habit. Do you do Record Store Day, Spidey? It's coming up. It's a world wide annual event on the same day, a lot of excellent limited releases on that day. Support your favourite artists, Spideyman.

Check out the new War on Drugs album, it's killer IMO. As well as the new Real Estate if you like that Byrds/REM/Smiths jangly guitar sounds.
I have a refurbished vintage Dual 701. You don't need a new TT. They really aren't that complicated of electronics so if you find a good vintage dealer that knows his shyte, you rate set. The Hip'sters have made it a both more expensive and cheaper for vinylphiles, if you know what I mean. Just make sure you use a good cartridge; Shure or Ortofon are great. Personally I use Grado (love their headphones).

What is your speakers and stereo set up?

I'm not the biggest CD fan. As Young Neil says, it's crap. Hell, even Steve Jobs hated the iPod and listened to vinyl (he said it was never meant as a music device just a listening one).
You should look at lossless digital files like FLAC or ALAC if you're an Apple guy like me 24/192 vinyl rip is da bomb. Better than CDs. You can buy them directly from artists these days like The National and Arcade Fire.

If you are a Mac guy the ALACs sound wicked on an iPod with decent cans. Not an MP3 listener at all. Can't stand them. I put a few classic albums on the iTouch™ and take the puppy to the beach for a good long run...fuck'n A!

SThINKER might have been a lonely loveless ugly bachelor but the guy knew his audio. We always thought he worked in an HiFi AV store :lol:
As you know I am not a musician or have the ears for it. What I learned I learnt from one of the best audio mag publishers in Canada when I did cartoons and illustrations from him. Guy was a maniac for tubes and turntables but he knew his digital stuff too. Can't draw without the music turned up to 11....DAC baby!
Listening right now to Fiona Apple's he Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do.
One of my faves from last year. Best name, cover and concept. Too bad it wasn't mainstream enough for the dumbed down Americans.

I have some of my favourite artists on vinyl, not a lot but enough for single malt nights and a few puffs. The kid got into it too which is awesome (the pressings, not the scotch :look: ). The young gf has a wicked record collection back in Germany. Her older bros gave her all the first pressings of their Joni Mitchell, Beatles, Stones, Supertramp etc.from the 60's & 70's but she won't bring them here :evil: Problem is we don't have a TT there. They do have some fucking fantastic record shops in Berlin. You would love the music scene there. Come for a visit :D

Of course I do support Record Store Day (just as you support the independent publishers on Comic Book Day right!). Lots big and small dealers in TO. I love that Fucked Up puts everything out on vinyl. Most artists I like do.

Happy listening dude and post some reviews, you might be the worst Van fan boy but one of the most knowledgeable musicologists I know. You should write an aging hipster mewzac blog!
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Hey RoyalDude,

(and anyone else that might care?).

What do you think of this song?

"Let the day begin" by Black Rebel Motorcycle.

One of my favorite songs at current: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPj1zM6qVp8
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Caught The National @ Massey Hall last night....very cool live show, saw them at NXNE last year outdoors but nothing compares small venues..
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Arachnid wrote:I'm not the biggest CD fan. As Young Neil says, it's crap. Hell, even Steve Jobs hated the iPod and listened to vinyl (he said it was never meant as a music device just a listening one).
You should look at lossless digital files like FLAC or ALAC if you're an Apple guy like me 24/192 vinyl rip is da bomb. Better than CDs. You can buy them directly from artists these days like The National and Arcade Fire.
Well, Mr. Young, Neil does have him some pono he's promoting.

re:

http://www.ponomusic.com/

BTW, have you done your own ABX (double blind testing) to determine whether you can hear the difference between a lossless digital file vs. a properly encoded lossy file?

Somthin' to ponder about, EH?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Betamax wrote:BTW, have you done your own ABX (double blind testing) to determine whether you can hear the difference between a lossless digital file vs. a properly encoded lossy file?

Oh yes. Lows and highs chopped off. Hell, when auditioning CD players back in the early 80's a lot of DAC's couldn't handle the highs and cut them off or garbled them.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Betamax wrote:
Arachnid wrote:I'm not the biggest CD fan. As Young Neil says, it's crap. Hell, even Steve Jobs hated the iPod and listened to vinyl (he said it was never meant as a music device just a listening one).
Well, Mr. Young, Neil does have him some pono he's promoting.

re:

http://www.ponomusic.com/

BTW, have you done your own ABX (double blind testing) to determine whether you can hear the difference between a lossless digital file vs. a properly encoded lossy file?

It's a lot like telling the difference between 21 year old Russian girl and a 40 year old cougar with the lights off and Spoon playing on the ol' Hi Fi...

Moot point old stinky bean. Lossless compression for audio is not because they can tell the difference. You can't tell the difference. It's irrelevant. Lossless is for archiving. Preserve your CD audio with pure lossless compression.
Lossy is an approximation of the original.

Good to have you back AlphaMacDaddy ;)